Rats?

wildfowler.250

Well folks, I’m being properly outsmarted.

I’ve got a rat,(possibly more) that’s going into my hen run. About 5 metres from the hen run there’s a couple of rat holes in the ground where it’s staying.  He’s digging under the hen run to get in. I’ve seen it only once in the daytime in 3 or 4 months so it’s probably more on the go at night.

So:

Airgun is out as the run is between myself and the neighbours.

Rat poison is out. Our lab will eat anything. The worse, the better. Also, I would never know if I’d gotten it with poison?

Now I’ve tried traps literally almost half way down the tunnel,(so it would have to walk over it) but no joy. Both tried empty and baited with this method.

I’ve tried traps around the run with peanut butter. Nothing.. except the occasional mouse.

I’ve even tried using stones around the rat hole and a block of wood to tunnel/funnel him over the traps. He just dug a new hole under the funnel to make an alternative route.

Well outsmarted!

Any suggestions? I’m also spending half my time trying not to tempt the local robin. Got up at 6am today to take the traps in before the birds got onto it.

Mice are far easier!

Any tips very much appreciated.

Have you tried cage traps? I've had success putting one under the bird feeders to save me watching the ground all day.

I'll make the entrance narrower with cable ties, weight it down so it doesn't rock about and bait with broken up suet/ fat ball,  putting a decent piece beyond the treadle and peanut butter on the treadle.

Otherwise I'd look at a fenn in a tunnel,  no chance of the birds going in so nice and safe.

18 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Have you tried cage traps? I've had success putting one under the bird feeders to save me watching the ground all day.

I'll make the entrance narrower with cable ties, weight it down so it doesn't rock about and bait with broken up suet/ fat ball,  putting a decent piece beyond the treadle and peanut butter on the treadle.

Otherwise I'd look at a fenn in a tunnel,  no chance of the birds going in so nice and safe.

My thoughts to , cage trap, 👍

Cheers guys, I’ll try the cage traps. Do they need a licence from Nature Scot like the Larsen traps? I’ve just tried the standard rat traps with chicken feed and peanut butter in them.

Can you use snares for them? There’s a path starting to go through the grass now which would probably work although again, not quite my skill set but can learn.

Sadly think this is going to be an ongoing problem as long as the hens are here. Took years at a previous house before one turned up but we’re only a mile and a half from a farm so that probably doesn’t help.

I like trying different baits on various traps.

I intend to try raw black pudding, but what I'm catching on at the moment is those little cocktail sausages you see in parties.

If I use bait in tunnels with fenns, I suspend it with thin wire hanging over trigger plate. They have to reach up and hopefully come down on plate.

Get some ply, and spend an evening making up some tunnels, the correct dimensions to suit the traps you are using. Set them tight against walls, pens, sheds etc, and move them as little as possible. It's important to keep your traps set 24/7. Taking them up each morning will certainly result in a negative effect with your catching success. 

21 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Cheers guys, I’ll try the cage traps. Do they need a licence from Nature Scot like the Larsen traps? I’ve just tried the standard rat traps with chicken feed and peanut butter in them.

I've never heard of needing a licence for a cage trap for rats or squirrels,  unlike squirrels where I need to use a comb to trap them at one end the rats almost attack the gun when it's time to dispatch.

10 hours ago, Eddie B said:

Get some ply, and spend an evening making up some tunnels, the correct dimensions to suit the traps you are using. Set them tight against walls, pens, sheds etc, and move them as little as possible. It's important to keep your traps set 24/7. Taking them up each morning will certainly result in a negative effect with your catching success. 

All good advice 👍 

11 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Bucket trap perhaps. Easy to make loads of vids on utube  can be very effective 

I've only seen these work on YouTube, in reality the plastic bucket will rust before a rat falls in.

Generally rats learn fast and explore anything new so very cautiously. 

9 hours ago, Centrepin said:

I've only seen these work on YouTube, in reality the plastic bucket will rust before a rat falls in.

Generally rats learn fast and explore anything new so very cautiously. 

Not really we have one set up on the farm it catches  a couple  a week .

Try a MK 4 Fenn trap put in a suitable tunnel where rat walks through ( like you've tried) but dig out a little scrape in the ground same dimension as set trap. make sure safety is on put a big dog poo bag over pan and then sieve dirt all over trap completely covering it with a thin layer of soil. Knock off safety. The rat may well then be caught as it can't see/ smell trap . Wooden tunnels always work better fir me that metal  wire ones