. 22LR or 17HMR

shawn9914

I know this has been asked before but I'm really not sure which way to go. 

One of my farmers has a serious problem with canada geese, and has asked if I can get rid of some of them. 

I'm re applying for my FAC after 12 months of not shooting but had my ticket for 15 years prior to this 

The geese will be shot at about 50-70yds away one issue is there is an industrial estate behind where i will be shooting about 150yds away. 

My question is would i be better with a. 22LR with subs rather than a 17HMR as I pressume this will be noisy but I have never shot a 17HMR, i have owned 2 rimfire 22LR in the past. 

What would you use. 

We have tried for 12 months to deter these geese but to no avail so a cull is the only way and if I dont do it the farmer will get someone else to do it. 

Thanks

No issue at all so long as you can create a backstop by putting yourself in a suitable position, shoot from an elevated position and the ground becomes the backstop. Look at how foxes are shot in urban surroundings from upstairs bedrooms etc. 

Shooting from the same level as the geese with no backstop obviously not safe.

22lr subs head shots only at 60-70yrds in my experience, 17hmr chest shots out to 85yrds. I'm sure other will have their own opinions but for me this works. If noise isn't an issue  I would choose HMR, your never going to shoot more than a couple each session even with sub 22's as the impact noise alone will scare them off.

I presume you can shoot in a direction with a safe back stop ? Sounds like the biggest issue is safety  so reducing ricochet ,pass through and bounding off water and wet /hard mud . 

To this end - of those 2 I'd be choosing the .17 hmr every time .If you want thump with less risk of richet but also want sub sonic and quiet .consider a .25 cal fac airgun .

As you have tried many forms of deterrent that will obviously include gas bangers so I presume that noise is not really an issue. Out of the two I would use .17hmr however it is not a good round if it is too windy so your opportunities would be restricted. 

Headshots - too much of a moving target in my view if they are feeding - geese with their beaks missing that are emaciated through starvation are not a good advertisement for pest control.

I would go .223 out of the mainstream calibres as it will knock them down very efficiently with body shots and if you have a lot to cull you can reload and reduce the ammo costs.

The industrial estate is behind, the direction of shot is very safe as its open fields for miles, i am not stupid enough to shoot towards an unsafe, area. 

4 hours ago, wymberley said:

I think (hope) the concern here was about noise or have I also misunderstood.

Correct

Yes .17 hmr is louder than a .22 lr with subs .but its surprising  how little crack you get when the distances are relatively  short with the .17 .

This is because the bullet is so fast that the small round  gets to its target so fast over a short distance  that there is little opportunity  to make a large sonic crack that can be heard for miles .

Industrial  sites are noisy during the week and  mainly deserted  at the weekend . I wouldn't worry about that aspect personally .

37 minutes ago, 243deer said:

As you have tried many forms of deterrent that will obviously include gas bangers so I presume that noise is not really an issue. Out of the two I would use .17hmr however it is not a good round if it is too windy so your opportunities would be restricted. 

Headshots - too much of a moving target in my view if they are feeding - geese with their beaks missing that are emaciated through starvation are not a good advertisement for pest control.

I would go .223 out of the mainstream calibres as it will knock them down very efficiently with body shots and if you have a lot to cull you can reload and reduce the ammo costs.

In the main this. The exception is the 223. At 50 to 70 yards this is overkill - cost wise if nothing else; as would be a Hornet. I’d. go for a moderated WMR.

Sorry to say but I’d use neither . I just feel they’re not big enough. 
we were shooting geese with number 3 shot at only 40 yards and when preparing them I found shot in the down . It hadn’t even gone through the feather . I know a rifle is different but I’ve tried the hmr too and I won’t do it again .

Don't know about your area but with the flat fields as you say our force wouldn't give much above 17hmr on that type of ground either way you will probably  only get 1 shot after  they wise up also can't you decoy them to another part of the farm where you can shoot with what ever you choose  

8 hours ago, Dasher said:

As you well know it's all about shot placement and the shooters compitence. Your not going to kill a goose if you shot it in the **** with a 243, however a single shotgun #3 pellet to the skull will.

Shot placement on a goose tho ? It’s rare they stay still long enough . It’s a tiny kill area too. 22cf in the body would drop them cleanly . 
I just try to eliminate risk