Potatoes in fridge?

Robden

An ideal set up is two fridges;

1. Set to about 37 to 41 degrees (3 to 5 degrees centigrade) for meats, fish, poultry, milk, soft cheese, cooked and prepared foods.
  2. Set to about 45 to 47 degrees (7 to 8 degrees centigrade) for veggies, bread, hard cheese, salad items etc.

22 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

Bread keeps better out of a fridge. Something to do with starch molecules and temperature but it will go stale quicker in a fridge

That is certainly the case with 'proper fresh bread'.  I find that the standard supermarket loaf (in it's poly bag) doesn't go stale quickly (presumably additives?), but can go mouldy quite quickly and I have better results (i.e. longer before it goes mouldy) when kept in the 'mild' fridge (which is like a cool, cupboard) in summer. 

20 hours ago, ditchman said:

what did the experts say before ??

Don't.   “The most important food not to keep in the fridge are potatoes … ” the Foods Standards Agency, says. “When these are stored in the fridge, the starch in the potato is converted to sugar. When baked or fried, these sugars combine with the amino acid asparagine and produce the chemical acrylamide, which is thought to be harmful.”

The key thing is fridge temperature.  For meats, milk, many cooked foods, below 5 C, typically between 2 and 5 C.  Above 5 C is not suitable for meats as they spoil quickly, and 'use by dates' (if you follow them) expect below 5 C.

Potatoes (and many other veggies) store better around 8 C. 

I use an old fridge set to 8 C as a 'cool storage cupboard'.  Very useful in summer when room temperature is too warm and main fridge too cold (and lacks spare space).

20 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The light only comes on when you open the door!   

That's has always been a worry to me 🤔, does the light always goes off, I am really sad I look through the crack in the door to make sure, because I don't like light pollution 👍, and if I put potatoes in the fridge to help the eyes put some😎😎😎,👁️😂😂😂👍