Loctite vs Nail varnish ?.

samboy

Hi gang.

I need a couple of drops of loctite to put on my fore end screws but don't want to spend about a tenner

for 2 drops so would nail varnish work as a substitute ?.

Thanks all.

24 minutes ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

I need a couple of drops of loctite to put on my fore end screws but don't want to spend about a tenner

Thanks all.

If it is a metal screw into a metal threaded hole, probably yes, but you would need to clean out any oil.  The other thing you might use is a fine 'ribbon' of PTFE plumbers tape - literally about the width of a matchstick; won't permanently lock it in, but will stop (or lessen) it working loose from vibration.  Loctite comes in different grades from 'dismantle-able' to 'locked forever'.

If it is a screw into wood, I think that may be more of a problem and I'd seek a gunsmith's advice as I don't know of a safe reliable way.

38 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

If it is a metal screw into a metal threaded hole, probably yes, but you would need to clean out any oil.  The other thing you might use is a fine 'ribbon' of PTFE plumbers tape - literally about the width of a matchstick; won't permanently lock it in, but will stop (or lessen) it working loose from vibration.  Loctite comes in different grades from 'dismantle-able' to 'locked forever'.

If it is a screw into wood, I think that may be more of a problem and I'd seek a gunsmith's advice as I don't know of a safe reliable way.

Metal screw into metal thread hole .

be carful with thread lock on guns mate. even the purple stuff which is the easiest to break can cause drama.  gun fixings and hardwear seem to be softer and less positive.

if its a thin threaded screw with a flat head shallow screw id maybe use a drop of white/wood glue or ptfe tape as any bit of resistance it will gouge and round even with a hollow ground screwdriver

Purple loctite (the one I’d use - I use it on watch parts) can be broken without force by heating the screw with a soldering iron - if you’re careful, virtually no heat will make it into the “hole”, just wait for the tiniest bit of smoke.

Edited by Alex_P

3 hours ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Thanks all.

Oh go on, spend a fiver on the loctite and do the job properly   !

I have used loctite a lot on some of my older English guns where due to wood shrinkage,  some of the pins (screws) have a tendency to back off during use. There are 2 variations and I only use the BLUE, which allows the pins to be removed, should the need arise. I also used loctite on the forend pins on a Winchester O/U, they were renowned for loosening and causing the wood to split.  How often do you need to remove the forend pins, if ever  ?  The use of loctite can prevent damage to the wood. Just make sure you wipe the top of the bottle and it will last for years.

Edited by Westley

5 hours ago, Westley said:

There are 2 variations and I only use the BLUE, which allows the pins to be removed, should the need arise.

In fact there are quite a few variations;

https://dm.henkel-dam.com/is/content/henkel/MRO_TL_Guide

I have always used Grade 222 (Purple) which is intended tor fasteners below 6mm and is the lowest strength.  When I was still working we used 222 a lot on small fasteners, so it was easily to hand.   Most fasteners we used were below 6mm.  Blue is next up in strength and better on slightly larger fasteners 6mm+. 

The stronger grades are to be avoided on anything you may need to dismantle ever as they may need serious heat to free them.

4 hours ago, Andy H said:

If you any knocking around try silicon sealant , Degrease the screw and threaded hole and apply a very small smear it will not vibrate out but will be easy to screw out with a screw driver.

Some silicone sealants have an acidic constituent (acetic acid which smells vinegar like).  I would avoid that type on steel.

• 2 weeks later...