Anyone started Trout Fishing, ?? River, Lake, reservoir ??

oldypigeonpopper

1 hour ago, HIDENSEEK said:

Hi Oldypigeonpopper.

I'm a long way from you, but if I can give you any general tips or advice I'd be happy to do so.

It's a great sport, and will keep you busy when the pigeon don't want to play!

All the Best

HIDENSEEK

Hello, thanks all the same but I've been trout fly fishing more years than I can remember 🤔🙄😁

It's something I've been meaning to get back into for a while. My grandad taught me to cast a fly as a kid and it would be a shame to waste it.

Seems to be growing in popularity here to with new lakes opening quite frequently.

Maybe I'll pick up a starter set and give it a try over the summer?

21 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, thanks all the same but I've been trout fly fishing more years than I can remember 🤔🙄😁

Sorry! Misunderstood the header.

Yes, been twice when the  rain stopped . My club lake, boat fishing, two on buzzers the first trip, lost one and missed a couple of offers on dries on Monday.

On 18/04/2023 at 17:29, Poor Shot said:

It's something I've been meaning to get back into for a while. My grandad taught me to cast a fly as a kid and it would be a shame to waste it.

Seems to be growing in popularity here to with new lakes opening quite frequently.

Maybe I'll pick up a starter set and give it a try over the summer?

Hello, you have also some lovely trout rivers, 

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, you have also some lovely trout rivers, 

Quite right.

I have the Wye, Usk, Taff, Tawe and Towy all within an hours drive and the Severn and Teifi a little further.

We also numerous reservoirs within spitting distance. Llandegfed being famous for its trout and pike. 

Shame it's nearly all club or privately controlled and some costs a fortune to fish. The Usk is currently full to the brim with both poultry and people **** so I wouldn't fancy eating anything landed from the Usk.

4 hours ago, Poor Shot said:

Quite right.

I have the Wye, Usk, Taff, Tawe and Towy all within an hours drive and the Severn and Teifi a little further.

We also numerous reservoirs within spitting distance. Llandegfed being famous for its trout and pike. 

Shame it's nearly all club or privately controlled and some costs a fortune to fish. The Usk is currently full to the brim with both poultry and people **** so I wouldn't fancy eating anything landed from the Usk.

Hello, that's a shame, I fished the usk years ago, is sweets tackle shop still going, lady jean owned it then 

• 2 weeks later...

Took my first season ticket on the Annan, renowned for wild brown trout. Went out today and whilst it was a bright day with a bit of a hatch nothing much was rising but it has been cold. I had one take on a dry and saw only a couple of fish rising. I am expecting it will get better in the next few weeks. it’s a beautiful quiet river and I will post some photos in due course. I also have some trips to loch fisheries as the weather warms.

My local river hasn’t come to life yet. Had a few bows off the lake whilst practicing my double hand casting.

Had a day chasing silver on the Wye (Monmouth), but no luck.

Hope to get my first wild ones of the season this weekend.

Work will take me to Utah next month, and I’ve extended the trip to get a couple of days in there 👍

On 18/04/2023 at 11:41, oldypigeonpopper said:

if I can get on day ticket, there is a free stretch on the Kennet at Newbury 🤔

Had a day ticket there a few seasons back … very enjoyable 👍