JKD gifted me a squirrel call.

I was gifted this some time back but not used it for numerous reasons, not been out for one. Anyhow I went out into the wood this morning an within a few minutes I saw a squirrel,  I watched/followed it through the tree tops and it did a houdini and disappeared. I gave three presses on the call. Within a few minutes I noticed something out of the corner of my eye and it was a squirrel on the side of a tree about 6ft up wagging it's tail like crazy. I quickly took the shot and it was good-night Vienna for the squirrel. A bit of food for the magpie in the larson.

Moved on and did the same with another squirrel and it seemed to come back but took off before I could sort a shot out.

I was quiet happy how the call performed.  Has anyone else had any luck or got any advice for me 🤔

Thanks again JKD 👍👍👍

ps is there anything I can put on the "rubber bellows" of the call to preserve/save it from cracking.

Picture for effect.

Screenshot_20230505_150941_Gallery.jpg

Never heard of a Squirrel call Harry so can't help in any way , there used to be a craze on Pigeon's call's and again I have never had or owned one , but many , many time I have had Pigeons calling or should I say cooing in the branches above me on a lovely Summers day and I have yet to see a Pigeon being attracted by the call of the real thing , so maybe the sound of a blow in Pigeon call might sound like an invite to a night of passion , in which case it could easily work .:good:

20 minutes ago, dessyb said:

baby oil will help with the cracking

Thank you 👍 

23 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Never heard of a Squirrel call Harry so can't help in any way , there used to be a craze on Pigeon's call's and again I have never had or owned one , but many , many time I have had Pigeons calling or should I say cooing in the branches above me on a lovely Summers day and I have yet to see a Pigeon being attracted by the call of the real thing , so maybe the sound of a blow in Pigeon call might sound like an invite to a night of passion , in which case it could easily work .:good:

The call certainly seemed to have an effect on this squirrel. 👍👍👍 whether it thought that it was going to get some rumpty tumpty I'm not sure 🤔🤔🤔😉😉😉🤣🤣🤣

There are YouTube videos on how to use these 🤓

I've seen and heard one of these being used in a small but quite dense wood. It worked a treat,,,, sometimes 😁 It's knowing the calls and replies that is the tricky part 😖

1 hour ago, JKD said:

There are YouTube videos on how to use these 🤓

I've seen and heard one of these being used in a small but quite dense wood. It worked a treat,,,, sometimes 😁 It's knowing the calls and replies that is the tricky part 😖

Like just about everything connected to the gadgets used in fields sports and more so in decoying is the number one word you used is SOMETIMES , a lot of people have got close to working it all out but nobody as far as I know have never got it 100% all of the time .

Just looking at the weather on the box and even they can't get it right all of the time so they get over it with forecasting  sunshine and showers over the next four days :lol:

1 minute ago, marsh man said:

Like just about everything connected to the gadgets used in fields sports and more so in decoying is the number one word you used is SOMETIMES , a lot of people have got close to working it all out but nobody as far as I know have never got it 100% all of the time .

Just looking at the weather on the box and even they can't get it right all of the time so they get over it with forecasting  sunshine and showers over the next four days 

We do try though 🙈😃 You have to think like your quarry,,,, some people have 'it' (sometimes 😁),,,, most don't 🤭😂

@harrycatcat1 Thanks. Interested to read more about how you get on with this. I don't bait a station as we already have pheasant feeders around the woods, which the squirrels frequent, so I stalk them or sit near the usual feeder hotspots. It'd be interesting to try a call, to see what is about a bit quicker than sitting & waiting. 

58 minutes ago, arjimlad said:

@harrycatcat1 Thanks. Interested to read more about how you get on with this. I don't bait a station as we already have pheasant feeders around the woods, which the squirrels frequent, so I stalk them or sit near the usual feeder hotspots. It'd be interesting to try a call, to see what is about a bit quicker than sitting & waiting. 

Well I went out yesterday and after half an hour in the wood I only saw 1 squirrel but it didn't work on him/her it took off at high speed through the tree tops 🙃 😅 

On 05/05/2023 at 20:22, Agriv8 said:

On the rubber I would have thought you could use the stuff you put on your wellies to stop the rubber drying out and cracking

Agriv8

Thanks 👍 

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Well I went out yesterday and after half an hour in the wood I only saw 1 squirrel but it didn't work on him/her it took off at high speed through the tree tops 🙃 😅 

Thanks 👍 

Maybe mistook your matting call for I am going to kick your head in !

having similar fun with magpies so feel your pain.

I have topped up my two squirrel feeders after they were emptied in 2 days so I have obviously got some tree rats about!

Agriv8

11 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

Maybe mistook your matting call for I am going to kick your head in !

having similar fun with magpies so feel your pain.

I have topped up my two squirrel feeders after they were emptied in 2 days so I have obviously got some tree rats about!

Agriv8

Yes my feeders empty in two days so they are about 👍👍👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I use a call to good effect. Carry the call with you and use it when you hear other squirrels calling in the woods. Use their cue as to when to utilise it.  If you press the bellows all the way in, then just release it so it springs back out you get another long call. You can also shake it to mimic chattering.

Have a look at this video:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Using+the+Primos+squirrel+call#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:99110b67,vid:QY-p4I4ex70

• 1 month later...
On 05/07/2023 at 13:08, Accuspell said:

I use a call to good effect. Carry the call with you and use it when you hear other squirrels calling in the woods. Use their cue as to when to utilise it.  If you press the bellows all the way in, then just release it so it springs back out you get another long call. You can also shake it to mimic chattering.

Have a look at this video:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Using+the+Primos+squirrel+call#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:99110b67,vid:QY-p4I4ex70

Thanks I've only just seen this, I started listening but it's sent my lab pup in a spin so I will have to look at it later 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

It looks a good video thanks for posting 👍

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Thanks I've only just seen this, I started listening but it's sent my lab pup in a spin so I will have to look at it later 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

It looks a good video thanks for posting 👍

It is learning when to use it that is the trick. Whenever you are out and about, even just taking the dogs for a walk, listen to how squirrels talk. You don't want to be giving out an alarm call, what you actually want is a conversational call - it is worth listening to how other squirrels react to a call from one. When they answer each other, that is the call to mimick I tend to use the 3 bark followed by a long braaaap one.  Bap, bap, bap - braaaap. leave it 10 or 15 seconds and listen for a reply, then repeat.

4 hours ago, Accuspell said:

It is learning when to use it that is the trick. Whenever you are out and about, even just taking the dogs for a walk, listen to how squirrels talk. You don't want to be giving out an alarm call, what you actually want is a conversational call - it is worth listening to how other squirrels react to a call from one. When they answer each other, that is the call to mimick I tend to use the 3 bark followed by a long braaaap one.  Bap, bap, bap - braaaap. leave it 10 or 15 seconds and listen for a reply, then repeat.

Thanks for your advice 👍 

1 minute ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Thanks for your advice 👍 

Harry,,,, sacrifice a couple of hours out watching and listening to them. I'm sure your mrs will cherish the time also, while catching up with the household chores 😀 [joke🤣].

Take a camera maybe, to give an excuse for why you're sitting around looking 'suspicious' 🤓

I'm lucky ,,,, living on my own I can basically do as I please, so time out shooting was/is more about the surroundings and wildlife, learning about my quarries habits/behaviour etc. It's quite relaxing too,,,, give it a go 😉🙂