Apprentice Doctors

islandgun

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

How dare they go to other countries like Australia, there they can earn about 2-3x the wages they can here, not to mention the many other benefits of moving there.

Freedom of choice is not an issue.....however undertaking a lengthy UK university education which is massively funded from the public purse, then jumping ship after taking the period of post-grad training is NOT acceptable. If they intend to go and work overseas then let them undertake and pay for their training overseas....or repay the UK medical training costs.

3 minutes ago, harkom said:

Freedom of choice is not an issue.....however undertaking a lengthy UK university education which is massively funded from the public purse, then jumping ship after taking the period of post-grad training is NOT acceptable. If they intend to go and work overseas then let them undertake and pay for their training overseas....or repay the UK medical training costs.

That’s a risk any employer takes when training up someone. 

They could jump ship and move to another company or abroad. 

Normally they try to make people sign up to minimal service contracts, but I doubt they’re enforceable if moving abroad (they’re not much use even when staying in the country). 

Funny how we don’t see that as an issue when we are stealing nurses, Doctors and other qualified professionals from other countries from around the world though. 

Doctors, engineers, nurses etc, skilled Labour brought into the U.K. from India, Asia and Africa… but rich to say they can’t leave but we do the exact same thing. 

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I can’t see how individual GP’s would be blamed for that. 
Our testing facilities etc are already massively overrun and underfunded without us having a policy like this. 

Let's hope that you won't find yourself being told one day that you have a life limiting, incurable cancer that's been slowly building for 10 years because your GP didn't do anything at the time about the abnormal PSA results and is now committing illegal acts by changing your records to cover up his negligence. 

That's what's happened to me 15 months ago and is an example of why GPs deserve to get the blame. I can't prove which GP redacted my records but I can now prove that someone did as I've obtained copies from the Pathology Lab of the original test results. I will now be taking legal advice.

GPs are not superhumans and they're not the highest level professionals around. Anyone of reasonable intelligence and the right aptitude could make it as long as they had the means to fund the training. I've known several doctors socially and none showed any signs of having phenomenal intelligence or special abilities.

5 minutes ago, Westward said:

Let's hope that you won't find yourself being told one day that you have a life limiting, incurable cancer that's been slowly building for 10 years because your GP didn't do anything at the time about the abnormal PSA results and is now committing illegal acts by changing your records to cover up his negligence. 

That's what's happened to me 15 months ago and is an example of why GPs deserve to get the blame. I can't prove which GP redacted my records but I can now prove that someone did as I've obtained copies from the Pathology Lab of the original test results. I will now be taking legal advice.

GPs are not superhumans and they're not the highest level professionals around. Anyone of reasonable intelligence and the right aptitude could make it as long as they had the means to fund the training. I've known several doctors socially and none showed any signs of having phenomenal intelligence or special abilities.

Your post doesn’t make sense. 

I am genuinely very sorry to hear about your bad news. Unfortunately we are not here to get emotional, so being mature and looking entirely at the facts: 

An individual GP failed to follow up on your abnormal test results, and that same individual GP (as why would anyone else do it) likely deleted the records as they obviously feel they messed up. 

What has that got to do with me? 

What had that got to do with the way every single GP in the country tests people and the resources available for testing? 

Who said GP’s are Superhuman? 
I also know and work with absolutely loads of Doctors, many higher qualified than GP’s, as you say most of them aren’t superhuman in any way… but I can absolutely say they are highly qualified, and usually highly experienced in areas that are massively short people with those skills and qualifications. 

Simple supply and demand. 

I think I just got one of these school leavers.

Got a tel message from local surgery few days ago to say a doctor "no name" would like a word with me on the phone. This was out of the blue  .Doctor just phoned  at the appointed time.

"Mr --------- I have a note on my desk to phone you.   Have you any idea why?

You just could not make it up.

On 11/05/2023 at 17:12, harkom said:

dont issue their medical liecence/certificate....until they have done a period of 8 years in a relevant medicle position in the UK............

On 18/05/2023 at 06:57, Newbie to this said:

I think they are still required to pay their loans back, once they hit the thresholds.

Whether they do or not, I haven't got a clue.

You pay student loans back from your UK earnings. So no UK earnings no repayment. 

34 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

You pay student loans back from your UK earnings. So no UK earnings no repayment. 

That is not the case.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-earnings-thresholds-for-plan-2-student-loans

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-earnings-thresholds-for-plan-1-student-loans

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

In an ideal world that would be true but the reality is quite different. Once a former student goes abroad they just drop off the radar and (typical of this country) nobody chases them up.

Billions of pounds are owed in un repaid student loans. Watch the BBC Panorama programme on student loans fraud.

But, as usual, it's our own silly fault. Handing out money without any proper checks to people.

It's like everything else in this country, it looks like it should be a good idea but total maladministration by those entrusted to run it makes it a mockery.

50 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

In an ideal world that would be true but the reality is quite different. Once a former student goes abroad they just drop off the radar and (typical of this country) nobody chases them up.

That's simply not true. I don't doubt there is lots of fraud but doctors a d nurses that go to AI, NZ,US Canada (the most likely destinations) will pay it back under reciprocal recovery, if they stay in the profession. 

No doubt there will be ways around fir some but that's the case here too.