.22lr is now obsolete for me

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Gas seal said:

Hi the men who made the guns would never have dreamed the guns would be obsolete or destroyed by using steel ammunition. It’s the.22rf that maybe obsolete, from what I read we could need a different twist to the barrel to use the non lead rounds. 

Hi interesting so a knew barrel would be cheaper than buying a new gun as well,

have you any ideas on the twist rate?

1 hour ago, silver fox 1 said:

Maybe because he seems to think it’s an antique

One you still need a ticket for however. 

43 minutes ago, silver fox 1 said:

Hi, I’ll tell you what scully if they don’t sort the 22 rimfire ammunition out you can buy my 22rf for 50 quit🤫

I already have one thanks. 👍

if youre shooting with high end side by sides and purdys that are heirloom worthy i cant imagine its a rough shoot. chances are bismuth isnt going to be the most expensive part of your day.

but to try and help the OP maybe the 22lr is done but it might not be the bad thing you think, you mentioned that the rabbits are in an cherry orchard a some shots are stretched. obv theyre a bit more expensive but if your supplying a dealer youd still be getting your money back using the .17 might be the way to go.

as for the issues with non lead 22  ive tried a few not loads but a few.  what i did find and its worth testing,  a leaded barrel was effecting accuracy for me, cleaned it and it tightened up dramatically, then put a few more lead through it and went back to the non toxic stuff and it had opened back up so. could be just me or my rifle but  i noticed. saying that the accuracy was never as bad as people stated.  5 inches at 35m bench rested is an extreme and im confident its been exagurated to give the push back argument a bit of clout.

Edited by Sweet11-87

9 minutes ago, Sweet11-87 said:

if youre shooting with high end side by sides and purdys that are heirloom worthy i cant imagine its a rough shoot. chances are bismuth isnt going to be the most expensive part of your day.

Hi, let me put you straight I don’t shoot with high end, guns I just load for the people that do.

agreed, you’re both right,  they just don’t like the idea of shooting with steel, I suppose some will pack up and some will carry on even though their guns probably are capable of using steel, but that’s not my decision all I know is what is being said

6 minutes ago, Scully said:

Then he could use Bismuth. 

5 minutes ago, silver fox 1 said:

Hi, let me put you straight I don’t shoot with high end, guns I just load for the people that do.

agreed, you’re both right,  they just don’t like the idea of shooting with steel, I suppose some will pack up and some will carry on even though their guns probably are capable of using steel, but that’s not my decision all I know is what is being said

yeah thats fair enough. but when i said you i meant the general you. apologies reading it back it did sound like i was targeting yourself. 

i too have came across shooters who say when lead goes they will too. i dont think its a protest i honestly think its just some of the older boys seeing it as  the watershed moment to give up somthing theyve done along time and for multiple reasons have been thinking about it anyway. if its already at the back of your mind to hang up the guns it as good time as any as opposed to having to make the transition then doing it shortly after.

if i asked any of the grey hair brigade i know from shooting to sum it up in a sentence i think the new BASC slogan would become "its just not what it used to be" across the board and in every sence of the meaning

44 minutes ago, Sweet11-87 said:

yeah thats fair enough. but when i said you i meant the general you. apologies reading it back it did sound like i was targeting yourself. 

i too have came across shooters who say when lead goes they will too. i dont think its a protest i honestly think its just some of the older boys seeing it as  the watershed moment to give up somthing theyve done along time and for multiple reasons have been thinking about it anyway. if its already at the back of your mind to hang up the guns it as good time as any as opposed to having to make the transition then doing it shortly after.

if i asked any of the grey hair brigade i know from shooting to sum it up in a sentence i think the new BASC slogan would become "its just not what it used to be" across the board and in every sence of the meaning

Yes, I think you’re pretty much spot on

I have shot since the end of 1960. 
I still look forward to every day, every season. 
I never consider giving up, let alone looking for an excuse to do so. 
Hobby shooters may give up, proper shooting men, for whom it’s a way of life, do not.
I will be quite happy to keep shooting until they have to bring me home in the game cart.

9 minutes ago, London Best said:

Hobby shooters may give up, proper shooting men, for whom it’s a way of life, do not.
I will be quite happy to keep shooting until they have to bring me home in the game cart.

This. 

10 hours ago, London Best said:

I agree with this.  I started in '59 at age 9  👶

11 hours ago, London Best said:

Hi, and long may you continue.

I don’t plan on giving up any time soon either

Hi silver fox I don’t know the twist rate in the rifling of the barrel . It was discussed on reviews of non lead 22 on a USA website. It seems like a different twist will improve accuracy because of the higher velocity. There are films of testing the different types of non lead on US websites it shows different guns and barrel length have different groups. I will see if I can find any non lead and try them. It may be a case of buying a gun to suit the ammunition.

16 hours ago, Gas seal said:

It may be a case of buying a gun to suit the ammunition.

The manufactures are going to have to pull there fingers out then if we're all going to need a new 22rf in 12 months time.

Looking forward to the price of them too. Looked for some 243 non lead to try a week or two ago £48 a box was the cheapest :sad1: 

Edited by 8 shot

7 minutes ago, 8 shot said:

The manufactures are going to have to pull there fingers out then if we're all going to need a new 22rf in 12 months time.

Looking forward to the price of them too. Looked for some 243 non lead to try a week or two ago £48 a box was the cheapest  

If we’re all expected to buy new rifles then I’ll be expecting compensation for my current one. 

Hi 8shot if lead is made illegal for 22rf it could mean a new rifle. Wilfowlers can choose to use steel proof shotguns with 3 1/2 inch chambers now. Maybe a longer chamber and heavier round could be the answer. As mentioned cleaning the barrel before testing could help with accuracy, I use non lead pellets in my air rifle and l cleaned the barrel before I tried them. I won’t give my guns up until I try the ammunition.

On 16/05/2023 at 16:52, 8 shot said:

Looking forward to the price of them too. Looked for some 243 non lead to try a week or two ago £48 a box was the cheapest  

But the owner of a .243 is not likely to fire more than a couple of rounds on an outing so the cost doesn't become that big a problem for him

It's accuracy that's the big question mark with .22RF. Cost should come down if everybody starts using non lead hopefully 

31 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

But the owner of a .243 is not likely to fire more than a couple of rounds on an outing so the cost doesn't become that big a problem for him

It's accuracy that's the big question mark with .22RF. Cost should come down if everybody starts using non lead hopefully 

Cost wise I`m doubtful of that happening. I remember steel cartridges used to be alot cheaper & I bought a box of Gamebore super steel for around £8 a box when I first started wildfowling

On 15/05/2023 at 08:04, London Best said:

👏👏👏

On 15/05/2023 at 23:54, Gas seal said:

Hi silver fox I don’t know the twist rate in the rifling of the barrel . It was discussed on reviews of non lead 22 on a USA website. It seems like a different twist will improve accuracy because of the higher velocity. There are films of testing the different types of non lead on US websites it shows different guns and barrel length have different groups. I will see if I can find any non lead and try them. It may be a case of buying a gun to suit the ammunition.

Hi, yes that’s what I’m now thinking but would prefer to change the barrel 

thanks for the info I’ll have a look

8 hours ago, THEINVISIBLESCARECROW said:

Just a thought, anti meat eating types just useing every trick / scam / lie / half truth to prove to the gullible that meat is poison. 

Hi, I think it’s definitely political, more like we’re doing our bit for the environment

Edited by silver fox 1