Fitting side steps

harrycatcat1

My previous car which I had for four and a half years didn't have sidesteps on. In fact I spent ages looking for one without them on as I don't like them. I have changed my car and my lad now has my old one.

I now have a car with deployable steps but I have turned them off.

Today my lad and I fitted some aftermarket steps as he likes the look of them 🙄🙄 as long as he is happy I suppose 😀 

It took about an hour per side but we took our time.

Screenshot_20230625_183954_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230625_184003_Gallery.jpg

15 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

What is it?

What? The car or Duck’s Disease?

No idea on the car, but it doesn’t look very elevated in the picture. 
DD is short legs.(@ss too close to the floor.)

I’m in agreement with you, I don’t like them either. I bought   my vehicle with steps fitted in 762971F4-DC07-4CD5-B319-1B26676D19F0.jpeg.06d882a1b3157d4601abaa4b3440af63.jpeg2014 and I have been threatening to remove them from day one, but have never got around to it.

Edited by London Best

10 hours ago, London Best said:

Sorry, I was only joking with you. Having Duck’s Disease is what is jokingly said to short people, implying their bum is too close to the floor. 
Forget it, no offence intended.

Ah, I see its me that is slow on the uptake it was a long day yesterday 👍👍👍👍 no the steps are just for aesthetics 🙄🙄🙄🙄 like I said I'm not keen on them at all but we are all different and as long as he's happy "pimping" it up.

10 hours ago, London Best said:

Sorry, I was only joking with you. Having Duck’s Disease is what is jokingly said to short people, implying their bum is too close to the floor. 
Forget it, no offence intended.

I got it LB. Only us of a certain age would know the phrase. Unfortunately it’s something that I have suffered from for years 😂

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

I got it LB. Only us of a certain age would know the phrase. Unfortunately it’s something that I have suffered from for years 😂

I am a semi-sufferer. I was nearly six foot with 29 inch inside legs.

1 hour ago, 39TDS said:

Only thing I have found side steps good for is keeping mud off your car and onto your legs as you get in and out

And bruising your shins!

My Defender came with genuine LR side steps and I always meant to remove them as despite being short, I have never needed them.  Plastic 'coated' steel,  rotted through from the inside and nearly caused a nasty accident when one broke under someone's weight.  They were also lethally slippery when wet.  Would never have them again.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

My Defender came with genuine LR side steps and I always meant to remove them as despite being short, I have never needed them.  Plastic 'coated' steel,  rotted through from the inside and nearly caused a nasty accident when one broke under someone's weight.  They were also lethally slippery when wet.  Would never have them again.

This.
Nine years down the road and mine are beginning to look decidedly tatty. 
I have fat friends too!

Had a few 4 x4s with side steps and never noticed a problem. Current SUV came with sidesteps - they did look good - until we drove home. My wife banged the back of her legs getting out. I took them off the day we bought the car.

My eldest had a Volkswagen Toureg, then a Mercedes GLE - always found them awkward. He changed the GLE to an EQC - no problem, but then got his wife a Mercedes V Class - same problem.

We called them running boards.   Handy when rounding up cattle, because the lads could jump on and off as required, and cowdung on boots didn't get transferred to the interior of father's car.    Police also made use of them, if this old film ("The Hangman Waits") is to be believed.

2025972207_Sidesteps.jpg.a450901093b948e2a6423b8edd4f3559.jpg

1 hour ago, McSpredder said:

We called them running boards.   Handy when rounding up cattle, because the lads could jump on and off as required, and cowdung on boots didn't get transferred to the interior of father's car.    Police also made use of them, if this old film ("The Hangman Waits") is to be believed.

2025972207_Sidesteps.jpg.a450901093b948e2a6423b8edd4f3559.jpg

that was in the day when binmen all hung on the back of the modern bin wagons standing on an old scaffold board...rolling a fag and larfing teir tits off