Sandbag rest

Lloyd90

I bought one on Ebay for about £12 posted. Can't remember the name but it came with a large bag for the front of your rifle and a smaller bag for putting under the stock.  Thankfully had builders in at home so just nabbed some of their left over sand to fill.

One hint,make sure the sand is perfectly dry as it funnels into the bag a lot easier than damp. You could also use rice or bean bag filling.

Think I just searched 'riflebag rests '

7 hours ago, gmm243 said:

I bought one on Ebay for about £12 posted. Can't remember the name but it came with a large bag for the front of your rifle and a smaller bag for putting under the stock.  Thankfully had builders in at home so just nabbed some of their left over sand to fill.

One hint,make sure the sand is perfectly dry as it funnels into the bag a lot easier than damp. You could also use rice or bean bag filling.

Think I just searched 'riflebag rests '

I bought sand and dried it in the oven!

Thankfully i was able to avail of the rare heatwave in N Ireland to dry the sand for me. Doesn't happen very often Iver here!

One word of warning.  I used a friend's bags before I bought mine and it was leaking a bit of sand. We put it on the bonnet of my car to zero the rifle and never really thought much about it. Once we had finished we realised that moving the bag between shots I've spilled sand had scraped the bonnet quite badly so always put a coat or towel down of using the car bonnet to zero the rifle. 

I've got one of those double bag, front and rear set ups of eBay. Less than £15. I filled it with -bird seed- as that's what I had to hand at the time in the garage before I went out, and never bothered changing it for rice or what ever since. 

7 years later, still no sprouts. 😆

Also use bipods and rifle rests (mtm I think) clamped down. 

Sand is the perfect size for getting in places you don't want it. Specially the lugs on the bolt. 

Choose something else other than sand if you can. .

Plastic beads as mentioned above. Or even polystyrene beads. I used to have an old pair of socks filled with them in the back off the truck. Used to great affect at silly ranges out foxing..