Made in Britain

steve_b_wales

13 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Tonight at 19:00 on channel 118 (ITV4+1) part of the program shows how shotguns are made. Worth a watch I suppose.

Thanks for the heads up Steve. Just went to record it and it`s actually on channel 120 (on my TV anyway), but thanks anyway.

OB

Thank you. I'm watching radiators at the moment. Saying to my ten year old to count the number of people actually on the factory floor. Telling him that for the pressing, years ago, they'd be at least two men. One putting a sheet of metal on a press, the other taking it off. With another man delivering a stack of the blank sheets and someone else the other side taking the pressed panels away. Then on to a long long bench with other workers brazing or welding them. 

Edited by enfieldspares

12 hours ago, Diver One said:

The Purdy series on YouTube is worth a watch.

a man

a file and some smoke

a lump of metal

my favourite is the Jack Rowe stuff also on YouTube

Just discovered Devongunsmith on YouTube. Absolutely fascinating and filmed in real time in most cases.

On 27/06/2023 at 19:03, enfieldspares said:

Telling him that for the pressing, years ago, they'd be at least two men. One putting a sheet of metal on a press, the other taking it off. With another man delivering a stack of the blank sheets and someone else the other side taking the pressed panels away. Then on to a long long bench with other workers brazing or welding them. 

On 27/06/2023 at 19:47, enfieldspares said:

Don't bother people. It's...Longthorne...that's forty-five minutes of my life sat through the early three parts of the programme to arrive at...guns machine made on CNC robots.

Sounds like you prefer the past.

In any case, 99.9% of all guns made within the past, say, 30 years are made this way - Longthorne's only real USP is that they machine the barrels from solid billet.   Do you not own any guns made within the last quarter century?

As a mechanical engineering student, I had to read a paper from the late 80s on how Beretta had to embrace CNC on a large scale to meet a large US military order. 

If you want your gun made by an old boy with a smoke lamp filing away, either dig very deep or quite far back.

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Sounds like you prefer the past.

In any case, 99.9% of all guns made within the past, say, 30 years are made this way - Longthorne's only real USP is that they machine the barrels from solid billet.   Do you not own any guns made within the last quarter century?

As a mechanical engineering student, I had to read a paper from the late 80s on how Beretta had to embrace CNC on a large scale to meet a large US military order. 

If you want your gun made by an old boy with a smoke lamp filing away, either dig very deep or quite far back.

Of course I own machine made guns. And a machine made car. I certainly think the cars of the last quarter century are far far superior to anything made in the previous seventy-five in terms of reliability.

I have two Browning Auto 5 and two Manufrance 28E self-opening boxlock ejectors in both one in 16 bore and the other in 12 bore. There's nothing wrong with machine made guns at all. As long as they are sold at the price point of a machine made gun.

For the price of top of the range Longthorne I can buy a pre-owned Purdey, a Boss, a Holland that has an elegance or a new Beretta or Browning and a factory style and doesn't have a stock possessed of a pistol grip the shape of a horse's hoof. They are not for me.

And laser engraving? My view is either have it done properly by hand, have it roll engraved and celebrate that or leave it plain and let the form of the gun be its function. Laser engraving, to me, says I can't afford to have it done properly and am not honest enough to have it roll engraved or to have it left plain. It's neither fish nor fowl nor good red herring. It's shammery.

And the section of the programme didn't offer anything of interest to any film of any item made by modern machinery. That's really the other point. There was nothing unique to the processes shown as there would have been with a gun made by old bloke or indeed in reality now in the London trade a young bloke with a smokelamp.

Edited by enfieldspares

22 hours ago, London Best said:

Whatever you do, DO NOT take any notice of Jack Rowe videos.

Nice old chap, now gone, but a complete gun bodger.

/\  This.

9 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Do you not own any guns made within the last quarter century?

On thinking about it (apart from one air rifle), no.  My youngest is (I think) 1992, my oldest 1810.  Last one I bought new was around 1990 (and I still have it).