Sciatica relief

harrycatcat1

22 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

😉😉😉😉😉🤣🤣👍👍👍 I have sacked Wheatbridge, absolutely useless,  couldn't run a raffle, changed to Storrs Road. 

To be honest it's different again today just a niggle in the bottom right of my back.

you need to be careful of them "niggles in your bottom".....god knows what that could lead to.......might even end up ordering fresh ginger from MelB3

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Admittedly I haven’t read the thread since I last posted in it, but unless you’ve been diagnosed with sciatica via an MRI scan, then it could be many things. 
I developed what I thought was sciatica after a sports injury in 1979. No doctors could tell me what I was suffering from and over the years I underwent physio therapy, electro therapy ( which consisted of me being linked to an electric current in the approximate area and put on a ‘spasmodic’  trickle charge which had me thrashing about like a fish out of water each time it kicked in ) and incredibly painful lumbar injections. 
Nothing worked. I bought myself a book ( no internet back then ) on yoga for back problems, one exercise which seemed to give relief, but no cure. 
In 2015 I was sent for an MRI scan which stated there was nothing evident which supported sciatica, just ‘wear and tear’. I self referred myself for physio’ and during one session the physio’ pressed on a muscle around the top of my buttock and my leg spasmed off the bed and I shouted out in pain. He was as shocked as I was, as he stated he was nowhere near the sciatic nerve. He then told me to relax and he then slowly pressed on the spot with his fist until all his weight was on that one spot. As he did so I could feel my leg growing warm and the pain just went away. Just like that. 
It turned out that all my ‘sciatica’ was, was a compacted muscle which had gone into spasm and contracted under intense trauma, and stayed like that, for 35 years! The man’s a hero. 
Make sure it’s definitely sciatica or you could be missing the actual source of your pain. 

8 minutes ago, Scully said:

Admittedly I haven’t read the thread since I last posted in it, but unless you’ve been diagnosed with sciatica via an MRI scan, then it could be many things. 
I developed what I thought was sciatica after a sports injury in 1979. No doctors could tell me what I was suffering from and over the years I underwent physio therapy, electro therapy ( which consisted of me being linked to an electric current in the approximate area and put on a ‘spasmodic’  trickle charge which had me thrashing about like a fish out of water each time it kicked in ) and incredibly painful lumbar injections. 
Nothing worked. I bought myself a book ( no internet back then ) on yoga for back problems, one exercise which seemed to give relief, but no cure. 
In 2015 I was sent for an MRI scan which stated there was nothing evident which supported sciatica, just ‘wear and tear’. I self referred myself for physio’ and during one session the physio’ pressed on a muscle around the top of my buttock and my leg spasmed off the bed and I shouted out in pain. He was as shocked as I was, as he stated he was nowhere near the sciatic nerve. He then told me to relax and he then slowly pressed on the spot with his fist until all his weight was on that one spot. As he did so I could feel my leg growing warm and the pain just went away. Just like that. 
It turned out that all my ‘sciatica’ was, was a compacted muscle which had gone into spasm and contracted under intense trauma, and stayed like that, for 35 years! The man’s a hero. 
Make sure it’s definitely sciatica or you could be missing the actual source of your pain. 

a good phisiotherapist is worth his weight in gold..............the older ones who have been about for a while really know their stuff

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

a good phisiotherapist is worth his weight in gold..............the older ones who have been about for a while really know their stuff

Agreed, although I must admit I expected you to make some comment about ‘scully getting fisted’. 😂

9 minutes ago, Scully said:

A doctor advised me that it was sciatica when you could get an appointment some years ago, I have not had an MRI only physio. 

It could be an old pit injury, I get a dreadful stiff neck from when I had to lift a "chock ram" on my own onto a tram a mile down a roadway. I had 10 weeks off work with it at the time.

4 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

A doctor advised me that it was sciatica when you could get an appointment some years ago, I have not had an MRI only physio. 

It could be an old pit injury, I get a dreadful stiff neck from when I had to lift a "chock ram" on my own onto a tram a mile down a roadway. I had 10 weeks off work with it at the time.

Yep. We do all manner of things when younger which come back to haunt us as we grow older. The thing is, it’s often not the injury which in itself does the damage, but our inability or willingness to let injuries heal properly before we start ‘ riving about’ again. 
Acupuncture? A lad I know ( farmer ) could hardly walk after doing ‘something’ to his back and had acupuncture. He was walking almost pain free after just one session and is now back to work. 

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Harry - maybe ask your doctor if exercise will help

I had a shocking back - due to so much time sat in a car and at a desk - my friend suggested biking - Best thing i ever did !

13 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

😉😉😉😉😉🤣🤣👍👍👍 I have sacked Wheatbridge, absolutely useless,  couldn't run a raffle, changed to Storrs Road. 

To be honest it's different again today just a niggle in the bottom right of my back.

Sounds disc'y.

13 hours ago, Scully said:

Pyriformis syndrome.

18 hours ago, Scully said:

Agreed, although I must admit I expected you to make some comment about ‘scully getting fisted’. 😂

you mustnt confuse Physiotherupist with Proctologist..............procotologists tend not to peer up ones anal tract to aliviate muscle strain

21 hours ago, Penelope said:

Pyriformis syndrome.

One of the most unpleasant pains I've suffered. Injured mine boxing years ago and progressively got worse untill I could bearly walk. Got worse and worse until eventually I saw a phisyo who gave me a stretching regiem, which over a six month period completely fixed the issue.

I've had a couple of bouts of Sciatica over the years - it is really debilitating.  The pain was in my lower back around the trouser line and extended right down the back of my right leg.

The only thing that gave me any relief was to put a pack of frozen peas or sweetcorn on my back to numb the area. I'd tuck them into the back of my trousers and leave them there as long as possible. Left on it numbed the pain for some while and I could go about things fairly normally.  But, I used to have to repeat this several times a day whenever needed.  Try it, it worked for me better than any painkillers.

Eventually it got better and luckily I haven't had a re-occurance - funnily enough my missus refused to cook the peas when I was better!

3 hours ago, Dodder said:

I've had a couple of bouts of Sciatica over the years - it is really debilitating.  The pain was in my lower back around the trouser line and extended right down the back of my right leg.

The only thing that gave me any relief was to put a pack of frozen peas or sweetcorn on my back to numb the area. I'd tuck them into the back of my trousers and leave them there as long as possible. Left on it numbed the pain for some while and I could go about things fairly normally.  But, I used to have to repeat this several times a day whenever needed.  Try it, it worked for me better than any painkillers.

Eventually it got better and luckily I haven't had a re-occurance - funnily enough my missus refused to cook the peas when I was better!

I didn't try frozen peas but will try it next time. I did try painkillers and a hot bean bag thing that you put in the microwave.  It seems to have got fed up of tormenting me, for now but no doubt I'll be back. It seems like something like a cold sore,  you never know when it's going to fire back up 😉

On 21/07/2023 at 12:45, harrycatcat1 said:

I didn't try frozen peas but will try it next time. I did try painkillers and a hot bean bag thing that you put in the microwave.  It seems to have got fed up of tormenting me, for now but no doubt I'll be back. It seems like something like a cold sore,  you never know when it's going to fire back up 😉

You may also want to look into Inversion Therapy.
https://www.healthcentral.com/condition/back-pain/low-back-pain/turning-back-pain-sciatica-upside-down

3 hours ago, serrac said:

I don't know if it is the same thing but I think I saw a video where a fat lass got stuck upside down on something like this 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

4 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I don't know if it is the same thing but I think I saw a video where a fat lass got stuck upside down on something like this 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

what a strange reply ........:crazy:...what do you mean "i think i saw a video where a fat lass got stuck upside down"....either you bloody saw it...were there at the time ....or drempt about it...........

stick to nice food with gravy.....sexual perversion is not your forte

yet

7 minutes ago, ditchman said:

what a strange reply ........:crazy:...what do you mean "i think i saw a video where a fat lass got stuck upside down"....either you bloody saw it...were there at the time ....or drempt about it...........

stick to nice food with gravy.....sexual perversion is not your forte

yet

I can forget what I did or saw an hour age but some times things remind me when I see them 🤔🤔🤔🤔😉😉😉😉🤣🤣🤣🤣

Who are you anyway,  have you just joined PW? 😏 

Just doing my dinner now, Cauliflower with bread sauce on with the usual suspects.

On 21/07/2023 at 12:45, harrycatcat1 said:

Over the years I have had all sorts of treatment for back problems it started in my late 20s and have never reverted to having a pain free back , most days the pain is very low out of ten but there are days where I have to watch every move I do .

The worst it ever was when I was in my mid 40s and have to have six weeks off from work , I was bed ridden for a few days over the Christmas period and when my back pain slightly improved my left leg pain went off the scale for two or three weeks , I paid to have treatment and very gradually the pain got less , I went back to work and after sitting down it wasn't that bad but when you stood up it was like an electric shock going down your leg as far as your toes and then you carried on as normal .

The treatment I had at the hospital was , being knocked out and having manilipulation , two six week courses of exercises , phisio , ex rays , attending the pain clinic and the strangest one was being strapped to a bed and then being stretched apart , after a few visits the nurse or whoever done it asked me if it felt any better , I said no not really but the bottoms of my trousers are now three inches off the ground , after a good ole laugh that was more or less the end of my treatment as they put it down as wear and tear and my retirement was then looming up , for the last 15 years I have managed alright with taking two strong pain killers first thing in the morning .

One thing I found that worked well was one of these back wraps with the gel pads inside , I always keep one in my grub bag on a shoot day and if it is playing up a bit I put one on my back and it feel like a hot water bottle on the base of your back , mind you this is only a one off , some seasons I don't need any and at the most a couple of times , but they do work , well they do for me :good:

51 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Over the years I have had all sorts of treatment for back problems it started in my late 20s and have never reverted to having a pain free back , most days the pain is very low out of ten but there are days where I have to watch every move I do .

The worst it ever was when I was in my mid 40s and have to have six weeks off from work , I was bed ridden for a few days over the Christmas period and when my back pain slightly improved my left leg pain went off the scale for two or three weeks , I paid to have treatment and very gradually the pain got less , I went back to work and after sitting down it wasn't that bad but when you stood up it was like an electric shock going down your leg as far as your toes and then you carried on as normal .

The treatment I had at the hospital was , being knocked out and having manilipulation , two six week courses of exercises , phisio , ex rays , attending the pain clinic and the strangest one was being strapped to a bed and then being stretched apart , after a few visits the nurse or whoever done it asked me if it felt any better , I said no not really but the bottoms of my trousers are now three inches off the ground , after a good ole laugh that was more or less the end of my treatment as they put it down as wear and tear and my retirement was then looming up , for the last 15 years I have managed alright with taking two strong pain killers first thing in the morning .

One thing I found that worked well was one of these back wraps with the gel pads inside , I always keep one in my grub bag on a shoot day and if it is playing up a bit I put one on my back and it feel like a hot water bottle on the base of your back , mind you this is only a one off , some seasons I don't need any and at the most a couple of times , but they do work , well they do for me :good:

😳😳😳😳😳 phew what a history, I have to admit that the bean bad thing warmed up in the microwave helped a lot 👍 now next time I will try the frozen peas as well 👍