cut barley

mossy835

That was a nice bit of shooting after a days work , maybe some of the other forum members who live near to there perms will now give it a look for a couple of hours when they leave off rather than wait till Saturday , when I was working I done quite a bit of shooting after work , during the week we could finish at 4pm and on a Friday the overtime started from 3pm , many a time I would get in four hours shooting and have a late tea around 8 pm , if you short of time you can normally find enough for a few hours shooting .

Had a quick go over standing barley after work today  1.5 hours   managed 8 for 16 shots with the new .410 .

Have Just managed to get it shooting where I'm looking  and today proved its  sitting correctly .

Very pleased .dog had some good retrieves  too  .which he was very happy about .

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

First field of rape being cut here yesterday, so looking forward to a bit more shooting over the coming days/weeks.

OB

Everything to do with combining crops seem to get earlier and earlier each year , we had a farm near by that started cutting his barley before the end of June , he done two width's of the combine around the headlands and picked up a large bit of unwanted concrete , this done a load of damage and put paid to the combine for a couple of weeks , now it is going around again like a good un .

At one time we would never see a rape field cut till roughly the end of July , and the first fields seen cut was normally when we were on the way to the C L A game fair which was the last weekend of July .

Maybe ours might be ready before long but the grain fields would get priority , very stop and start harvest up till now , a year ago yesterday we were having record temps at close on 40 degrees and wild fires all around the area , yesterday it was 25 at best with heavy showers most of the day , today is looking a lot better .      MM

1 hour ago, mossy835 said:

went out after work today, got to the field must have been 300 pigeons and more. set up shot 1 bird,and then the baler turned up.thats the end of that.

With all this changable weather it give the farm to cart any bales off , we have also had the drill going on as soon as the bales are off to direct drill fodder radish for this Winter cattle and sheep feed , blink your eye and as soon as one crop go off the field then another go in .

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

With all this changable weather it give the farm to cart any bales off , we have also had the drill going on as soon as the bales are off to direct drill fodder radish for this Winter cattle and sheep feed , blink your eye and as soon as one crop go off the field then another go in .

It’s definitely a matter of needing to be in the right place at the right time, at this time of year it’s hard to do as it all comes at once! 
It’s amazing the difference a week can make too, i find it incredibly frustrating not being able to go when I want to sometimes, usually where I’ve watched a field and know a good day is on the cards but by the time I can go they’ve switched off it or someone else has managed to have a go. 
It’s hard to stay in front of the farmers too, weather plays a big part in what they do and when doesn’t it! 

35 minutes ago, Wilts#Dave said:

It’s definitely a matter of needing to be in the right place at the right time, at this time of year it’s hard to do as it all comes at once! 
It’s amazing the difference a week can make too, i find it incredibly frustrating not being able to go when I want to sometimes, usually where I’ve watched a field and know a good day is on the cards but by the time I can go they’ve switched off it or someone else has managed to have a go. 
It’s hard to stay in front of the farmers too, weather plays a big part in what they do and when doesn’t it! 

This year is not as bad as the harvest was last year , last year was the only year when anybody could remember going non stop for nearly 30 days without stopping for one day , if the weather was ideal for us then it was ideal for the surrounding farms and many days you could see several plumes of dust in all directions , we had winter and spring barley , the same with wheat , a large area of rape , seed peas and winter beans , these cover an area nearly three miles accross, so even though I have got the time it cost a small fortune running around day after day , last year I was getting all the pigeons I wanted on the Pea stubbles as the pods burst open way before they were vined with the constant heat , we had a lot of pigeons going on the rape stubble and I never shot a single pigeon , if anyone else wanted to go they could have had a very good day as they were left undisturbed , as it was the keeper took his boy for a half a day and nobody else wanted to go , even now we hear very little shooting going on and any serious pigeon shooters are very , very thin on the ground .

On 20/07/2023 at 06:15, Old Boggy said:

First field of rape being cut here yesterday, so looking forward to a bit more shooting over the coming days/weeks.

OB

Took a closer look at the partially cut rape field and the crop must have been pretty tall as some of the stubble stalks are around two foot tall. My farmer friend must have raised his cutter bar fairly high in order to gather the crop. I don`t think that I`ll be driving over that any time soon. Either walk to a hide position or wait until the field is disced.

The Triticale stubble that I`ve shot on a couple of times recently has now been lightly disced with birds still down feeding, so that may well be my next and better option. At least I should still be able to drive to a hide position.

OB