Can launcher conversion 🤔

harrycatcat1

Donkey's years ago (40+) I bought a hand held can launcher. Don't ask me why cos I've no idea. I was wondering if anyone had got a conversion or bought a rubber dummy that fits in it for a dummy launching for dog training. It shoots a standard can with a .22 blank.

Thanks 👍 

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Donkey's years ago (40+) I bought a hand held can launcher. Don't ask me why cos I've no idea. I was wondering if anyone had got a conversion or bought a rubber dummy that fits in it for a dummy launching for dog training. It shoots a standard can with a .22 blank.

Thanks 👍 

Harry is it same as the one Muncher has just sold ? if so you could google Turner Richards !

I have had both, a Turner Richards dummy launcher and a Webley can launcher. The dummy fits onto a rod that is in the centre of the device. That rod has a rubber sealing ring at the top. The seal is the secret to the device working or not. The can launcher has a seal fitted right around the inside of the rim, the can is 'twisted ' into position and seals with that ring. In order to convert the can launcher, a rod would have to be made and then fitted to the centre of the launcher. As they are cast aluminium I would suggest it would be difficult to weld anything in place. Just not a cost effective conversion.

Edited by Westley

the original Webley can launcher was made for the original beer tin's that had a ridge on them , you used to use the triangular opener to  punch a hole in each side to drink from it , With the advent of the ring pull cans they do not fit into the big o'ring that hold's them into the launcher any more apart from some pea tins .

Many years ago i made a polyprop dummy large can sleeve that clicked into the launcher but I bored it out to take the redbull size can's but do the new mega thin alloy cans distort when you fire them offbut they do go a fair distance when fired.

3 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I think I agree it wouldn’t be cost effective to try and convert it. I will get some pictures up, not sure of the make tbh.

I reckon it used to take baked bean cans @derbyduck 😅 have you got any?

Harry I don't have any empty Baked Bean tins , But I will tell you where can shove them if you if you have some ! or you could even fire them up there with your can shooter LOL:lol::w00t:

32 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

Harry I don't have any empty Baked Bean tins , But I will tell you where can shove them if you if you have some ! or you could even fire them up there with your can shooter LOL:lol::w00t:

🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍👍

Could do with a bit of fettling but still works OK 

Screenshot_20230727_114235_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230727_114244_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230727_114254_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230727_114303_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230727_114313_Gallery.jpg

I can well remember the can launcher as well as the dummy one for dog training , don't know weather converting the launcher would work or not , but would it be possible in converting the can into a dummy :hmm:, should be far easier than welding , start at the basics Harry and go from there, if in doubt then my fellow countyman ditchie will put you right :lol:

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

I can well remember the can launcher as well as the dummy one for dog training , don't know weather converting the launcher would work or not , but would it be possible in converting the can into a dummy , should be far easier than welding , start at the basics Harry and go from there, if in doubt then my fellow countyman ditchie will put you right 

Unfortunately, that would not be much use as a dummy launcher. 
From what I remember, the can launcher will throw a can about 60 feet in the air. The dummy launcher will throw a (much heavier) dummy about 90 yards. 
I still own a dummy launcher, somewhere, if I could just find it!

On 27/07/2023 at 11:43, harrycatcat1 said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍👍

Could do with a bit of fettling but still works OK 

Screenshot_20230727_114235_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230727_114244_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230727_114254_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230727_114303_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230727_114313_Gallery.jpg

That is a bit of an oddball really, it has Turner Richards on it, they were the company that marketed the 'Dummy Launcher '. But I had a Launcher of theirs that must now be over 50 years old, that had the post in the centre to take the dummy. My can launcher was by Webley, that had the same system as in the photograph.   🤔

38 minutes ago, Westley said:

That is a bit of an oddball really, it has Turner Richards on it, they were the company that marketed the 'Dummy Launcher '. But I had a Launcher of theirs that must now be over 50 years old, that had the post in the centre to take the dummy. My can launcher was by Webley, that had the same system as in the photograph.   🤔

I have emailed Turner richards today to ask the question but not had a reply as yet 👍

8 minutes ago, Andy H said:

In the  USA the BATFE may regard this as a non firearm but believe you me if you try to import this into the UK, Mr special branch will be around your *** faster than fly's on  fresh poop.

Do you not have straight pull AR15s?  May be I’m thinking of another country.  I seen videos of Ak47s and AR15s with no gas block, effectively turning them into straight pull bolt guns. That would be a gun “ part”

The component part's can be imported to an  UK firearms dealer company with an section 5 Authority but every major component will have to be  looked at , Upper  ,lower  and or  barrel assy and if any of those can components that can be used in converting  to a section 5 /USA class 3  importation will resulting a very negative attitude from the UK goverment.

Edited by Andy H

10 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

X products in the USA makes a can/ball launcher.  You can get it as a ar15 upper or a stand alone.  It should be importable as they are not firearms.  They use a 223 blank or a 223 to 22 adapter.  The 223 will really chunk them.  F2231CBC-B5F8-4B41-B401-9D4DCEB755F6.jpeg.8c4efeda94b2ec7ee47fd4f32c66fffc.jpeg68985387-F3B8-492A-92F1-12C5A04285FC.jpeg.303f132fcf800dc9f6bea47e7f2fe3e4.jpeg

Looks a good tool but I think it would be frowned upon here 😉😉😉😉👍👍👍

11 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

X products in the USA makes a can/ball launcher.  You can get it as a ar15 upper or a stand alone.  It should be importable as they are not firearms.  They use a 223 blank or a 223 to 22 adapter.  The 223 will really chunk them.  F2231CBC-B5F8-4B41-B401-9D4DCEB755F6.jpeg.8c4efeda94b2ec7ee47fd4f32c66fffc.jpeg68985387-F3B8-492A-92F1-12C5A04285FC.jpeg.303f132fcf800dc9f6bea47e7f2fe3e4.jpeg

Using one of those with the ball would make a better tool for golf than one of those silly bats they use.