FAC Air Recommendation

Karlos_

I'm seeking recommendations for a FAC air rifle. I'm in the process of selling my Air Arms S410 TDR and considering purchasing a replacement with adjustable power to fill the void left by not having a Sub 12. I'm looking for a cost-effective option, preferably second-hand, within the budget range of £800-£900. What are your insights on the benefits of adjustable power, and could you suggest any models that align with my budget and needs?

Generally adjustable power sounds like a good idea but the reality  is that what you want for longer range shooting with a fac airgun is power levels that are very consistent ,leading to improved accuracy  . Anything that can be easily adjusted tends to move a little by its self  and reduces consistency resulting in  poor performance  at most ranges and especially  at long range . Also even if it did work very well and hold its settings sufficiently .People tend to only use one power on that gun. As rezeroing u/d  l/r  can be a pain in the xxxx   and a waste of time /air / pellets /quarry .

That's my opinion .

19 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Generally adjustable power sounds like a good idea but the reality  is that what you want for longer range shooting with a fac airgun is power levels that are very consistent ,leading to improved accuracy  . Anything that can be easily adjusted tends to move a little by its self  and reduces consistency resulting in  poor performance  at most ranges and especially  at long range . Also even if it did work very well and hold its settings sufficiently .People tend to only use one power on that gun. As rezeroing u/d  l/r  can be a pain in the xxxx   and a waste of time /air / pellets /quarry .

That's my opinion .

That makes a lot of sense, especially when it comes to longer-range shooting. Consistency is paramount, and the potential for even slight adjustments to introduce variability would be a hindrance, and the practicality of settling on a single power level to avoid frequent re-zeroing is a valid point. Could you kindly recommend some single power models that would be good, and what power would be best? I'm looking to get a .22, so your insights would be greatly appreciated.

51 minutes ago, Karlos_ said:

I'm seeking recommendations for a FAC air rifle. I'm in the process of selling my Air Arms S410 TDR and considering purchasing a replacement with adjustable power to fill the void left by not having a Sub 12. I'm looking for a cost-effective option, preferably second-hand, within the budget range of £800-£900. What are your insights on the benefits of adjustable power, and could you suggest any models that align with my budget and needs?

Seen a 410 FAC for around £400 👍either on here or stalking directory

Its in for sale section private sales. 

Edited by Dougy

Some of the FX models are probably what would fill your criteria, my maverick for eg. has a dial at the rear offering 7 power levels and does this by altering the spring tension on the hammer so it is very consistent. my only gripe with the maverick is the crappy barrel liner system, im looking to swap mine out for a solid barrel.

OK. So personally I'd avoid all the reg adjustable  fx  stuff .like impacts and the ilk.  I do have an fx wild cat mk1  and it's non adjustable and it's been spot on - set and forget for the last 8 years .  The adjustable ones are a rabbit hole of hell as far as I've seen .

If you want to spend your life and savings on air and pellets and have  limitless time  then fill your boots .but if you want to hunt with it  keep it simple .

The uragan guns look good .

Get your fac .22 running around 30 fpe then buy a nice light weight. 177 pcp for garden and farm yard  work . Something like a bsa ultra will do the trick .

Crown , the new wildcat & maverick all easy adjustable. Just make sure you take not of factory settings, so if needed you can go back to them .

I have impact .25 & crown .22 both FAC both have been tuned by Airfective by installing heavy hammer weight and showing me how to tune it .That was 5 years ago and both still perfect plus I tune it for different slugs and pellets, with out touching the reg at all , imo you don’t need to . Reg on the impact 130 bar & crown 155 bar 

I can take the crown from 42 fpe down to sub 12 using slugs , pellets  & the wheel  with in seconds including adjusting the scope 

impact from 80fpe down 45 fpe using slugs , pellets 

Edited by villaman