Satellite train.

JDog

This evening we went to a bonfire party nearby. The sky was cloudless. Stars were everywhere. Out of nowhere came a long procession of lights the like of which I have never seen before. It was spectacular.

I now understand that this was a satellite train, Elon Musk’s efforts to create internet connection on a global scale. Apparently there are 4000 of these things over 350 miles high.

Fireworks paled into insignificance compared to the procession of satellite lights.

(The video is not mine but it shows exactly what I saw).

it is impressive..................

but i really dont want to look into the night sky in all its natural beauty ...and see it messed up with that litter.....Musk knew what he was doing and that is nothing but a ******'g great advert for him.............

am i a moaning old codger ?

16 minutes ago, ditchman said:

it is impressive..................

but i really dont want to look into the night sky in all its natural beauty ...and see it messed up with that litter.....Musk knew what he was doing and that is nothing but a ******'g great advert for him.............

am i a moaning old codger ?

It is just how they are launched, after a while they then start to spread out and end up in the designated spot.

Unfortunately as you say they will at somepoint become space waste/litter

1 minute ago, ShootingEgg said:

It is just how they are launched, after a while they then start to spread out and end up in the designated spot.

Unfortunately as you say they will at somepoint become space waste/litter

there was talk recently about all future saterlites must be fitted with a single purpose jet that will fire at the end of the saterlites life...pushing it back to a safe spot on earth/sea...

1 minute ago, ShootingEgg said:

Where ever it ends up it's litter then . In or out of our atmosphere

we need saterlites.....but we are getting to the stage when space rubbish  starts coliding...and expodentionaly creats more space debries...ad infernightum.......even a fleck of paint travelling at 10 thousand MPH can creat enormous damage in space...

its getting really messy up there

57 minutes ago, ditchman said:

there was talk recently about all future saterlites must be fitted with a single purpose jet that will fire at the end of the saterlites life...pushing it back to a safe spot on earth/sea...

They would burn up on re-entry 💥

49 minutes ago, ditchman said:

its getting really messy up there

What do you mean, "it's getting" ? Watching 'space' programmes on TV quite a few years ago, they said there was so much "clutter/debris/satellites" etc up there, it's disgraceful !!!

ps, I'm not picking on you, just pointing out my observations 😉

We saw a train of them coming up from the west one evening a couple of weeks ago while the sky was still a bit lighter that way after sunset. They were really bright and remained visible for a few minutes before fading out one by one. Wikipedia says:

SpaceX started launching Starlink satellites in 2019. As of August 2023, it consists of over 5,000 mass-produced small satellites in low Earth orbit (LEO),[6] which communicate with designated ground transceivers. Nearly 12,000 satellites are planned to be deployed, with a possible later extension to 42,000.

Here

They are heavier than I imagined. Quote from space.com:

The current V2 Starlink satellite version weighs approximately 1,760 lbs  (800 kilograms) at launch, almost three times heavier than the older generation satellites (weighing in at 573 lbs or 260 kg), according to Spaceflight Now

10 minutes ago, JKD said:

They would burn up on re-entry 💥

What do you mean, "it's getting" ? Watching 'space' programmes on TV quite a few years ago, they said there was so much "clutter/debris/satellites" etc up there, it's disgraceful !!!

ps, I'm not picking on you, just pointing out my observations 😉

we are both ranting about the same thing in a different way...............ive heard people say when saterlites start coliding it will start the shotgun senario...(broken stuff makes broken stuff)

the annoying thing is.....that the space up there is very very precious.....more and more we will need it to survive in the modern world.....and what are we doing ?

*****n'g it up.....like what the human race is good at

10 hours ago, JDog said:

This evening we went to a bonfire party nearby. The sky was cloudless. Stars were everywhere. Out of nowhere came a long procession of lights the like of which I have never seen before. It was spectacular.

I now understand that this was a satellite train, Elon Musk’s efforts to create internet connection on a global scale. Apparently there are 4000 of these things over 350 miles high.

Fireworks paled into insignificance compared to the procession of satellite lights.

(The video is not mine but it shows exactly what I saw).

An utter monstrosity! It's getting to the point I can't even look into space without seeing an egotistical billionaires handy work spoiling it.