Low energy bulbs

30-6

Both my 30 something sons have said they can hear high pitched noise when standing near the low energy light bulbs ( the longish type with 3 " u " shaped tubes rather than the conventional bulb shape ).

I can't hear anything, but do have hearing loss. Do other people hear this noise ?

I can hear the ones in my ceiling pendant

when it’s dimmed. It’s like a high pitch whistle or squeal. 

it’s down to the fact I have to have 1 halogen in each fixing due to my all singing dimmer switch not being led compatible and needing a minimum wattage. 

just re read your post. Are you talking the older low energy that take a bit to warm up. 

get them gone and for a few quid get some instant light led

Edited by ph5172

The old 'folded tube' type low energy really aren't very good.  The light is poor and some are slow to 'warm up', and the light output declines as they age. 

LEDs are MUCH better, have a better light, are near instant and don't decline in output (or at least not noticeably).  Not all work with dimmers.  I don't have dimmers as I have friends who had endless reliability and bulb compatibility problems with any form of low energy bulbs - which didn't dim uniformly.  When I had my house rewired it was an extra expense I didn't need and my electrician didn't like fitting them as they seemed to cause more problems than anything else he fitted!

6 minutes ago, 30-6 said:

Some weeks ago, this particular bulb was very slow to light up but then seemed to come ok. So perhaps it's on its way out.

The small flourescent (i.e. folded tube and spiral tube types) have three failure modes;

1. The tube efficiency decays leading to reduced light output over time
  2. The tubes get blackened at the ends due to the internal 'electrodes' failing
  3. The electronics that drives them fails (usually sudden)

Poor light output and slow 'warm up' usually means they are getting 'old'.

LED ones are much better for reliability (I have a lot in the house installed around 7 years ago and have not yet had a failure) and don't degrade in light output to any noticeable extent.  Some (even of the same make) have slightly delayed start.  Over my 'dining area' in my kitchen there are 3 LED down lighters and one has always been about half a second delayed in starting, but still the same and not failed after 7 years.  You can get both 'warm white' and 'daylight' versions.  Personally I find the daylight ones a bit harsh in a home environment.

I hear that some are fine with dimming, some not very good (bulbs of the same type) and dim differently, which is not good where there are several in a room, and a lot are not suited for use with dimmer units.