MEMORIES

DUNKS

This time of year my mind always turns to a time long ago, The ship I was a silly sailor on HMS Hogue. a battle class destroyer, had just departed to Iceland to protect our fishing boats in the first Cod war. I had left a wife with a baby daughter only a few months old ."That same daughter has just retired"  The weather was so bad at times we spent lots of hours chipping ice from the superstructure.

Back home after new year, a few weeks leave and off to the far East for 18 months. Rammed an Indian cruiser in the Indian ocean and took the bows off. Nearly sank. Waited in Trinco for a replacement ship to be brought out of mothballs and continued the cruise. 

Now just an old guy with memories, but what memories, life has not exactly been  boring.

Edited by DUNKS

hello, my dad was a sailor , stationed in Portsmouth, he worked in the engine room, the only ship i can remember he was on was HMS Bermuda , i was about 6 years old and looking up at a big ship with all the crew on deck was a real sight to behold, only trouble with dad he drank to much rum🤔

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, my dad was a sailor , stationed in Portsmouth, he worked in the engine room, the only ship i can remember he was on was HMS Bermuda , i was about 6 years old and looking up at a big ship with all the crew on deck was a real sight to behold, only trouble with dad he drank to much rum🤔

A stoker. We seamen tried to avoid them, nasty rough lot.😁  I only ever served on destroyers.

39 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

A stoker. We seamen tried to avoid them, nasty rough lot.😁  I only ever served on destroyers.

hello, no he was an Engineer , his record showed a Chief Petty Officer ?? he joined at 16, he served on lots of Navy vessels

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Crazy for you knowing your daughter has retired. 
my daughter is almost 10 and I know she’s growing up . I just hope when she’s older she finds a man who respects her. My love for her is undeniable. I love my boys too 😂
I’m only 42 but have had a strange life but never in the forces as my legs aren’t good enough. 
I laugh about my memory’s and don’t worry no more . 
lost many friends and my sister but grateful to of know them. 
broke every finger , my wrist , sternum , arm, elbows, leg , toes ,12+ ribs , chopped finger tips off 😂
been in more than one rolled vehicles on the road , raced bikes, shot in competition, married and divorced, locked up for a police set up , released and had a book written on it, police fired . 
i honestly think life’s good and what you make it.

I found a guy hanging himself recently in my woods I shoot. I managed to stop him . I think I was there for a reason at the right minute. Poor guy was a right mess with marks all over his neck . 
live life , smile , laugh and I hope I reach an age like yourself to be writing this like you are . 

33 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Crazy for you knowing your daughter has retired. 
my daughter is almost 10 and I know she’s growing up . I just hope when she’s older she finds a man who respects her. My love for her is undeniable. I love my boys too 😂
I’m only 42 but have had a strange life but never in the forces as my legs aren’t good enough. 
I laugh about my memory’s and don’t worry no more . 
lost many friends and my sister but grateful to of know them. 
broke every finger , my wrist , sternum , arm, elbows, leg , toes ,12+ ribs , chopped finger tips off 😂
been in more than one rolled vehicles on the road , raced bikes, shot in competition, married and divorced, locked up for a police set up , released and had a book written on it, police fired . 
i honestly think life’s good and what you make it.

I found a guy hanging himself recently in my woods I shoot. I managed to stop him . I think I was there for a reason at the right minute. Poor guy was a right mess with marks all over his neck . 
live life , smile , laugh and I hope I reach an age like yourself to be writing this like you are . 

You have the measure of life

This has been one of the nicer topics to read.

Looks like I have led a quiet sheltered life.

i was a forces brat from when i was born until my 13th birthday when due to a medical condition my dad had to leave the RAF after 24 years he died within a year.

Dad died when I was 13, strangely one of biggest regrets was never getting to go for a drink with him 😕

I had had a few broken bones and now also a lower right leg amputation.

apart from that I have done nothing of significance.

Never married or had kids.

Sort of bumbled my way through life and sometimes when I think of it I have led a somewhat wasted life.

I came into this life with nothing, I am the last of my family name and will leave with nothing, not even a legacy.

But I like to think it’s been mainly a happy life.

Sorry to put a dampener on it 🤷🏻‍♂️

:shaun:

8 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

i was a forced brat from when i was born until my 13th birthday when due to a medical condition my dad had to leave the RAF after 24 years he died within a year.

Dad died when I was 13, strangely one of biggest regrets was never getting to go for a drink with him 😕

Sort of bumbled my way through life and sometimes when I think of it I have led a somewhat wasted life.

I came into this life with nothing, I am the last of my family name and will leave with nothing, not even a legacy.

Can I ask how you lost your leg ? 
I work with my parents everyday, now I’m older I realise that I’m very lucky . My dads my best friend 

8 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

i was a forced brat from when i was born until my 13th birthday when due to a medical condition my dad had to leave the RAF after 24 years he died within a year.

No damper at all Shaun, life is life however it comes. I am blessed that I can still have a shoot with my two sons. For how long "who knows" tomorrow is another day.

12 hours ago, millrace said:

I now find myself sitting on a river bank looking around and still able to see those who are no longer with me on the bank,find i now smile at where they would be, and am able to say i now "get it" and just enjoy the time!

With rue my heart is laden
For golden friends I had,
For many a rose-lipt maiden
And many a lightfood lad.

By brooks too broad for leaping
The lightfoot boys are laid;
The rose-lipt girls are sleeping
In fields where roses fade.

(A E Housman)

2 hours ago, team tractor said:

Can I ask how you lost your leg ? 
I work with my parents everyday, now I’m older I realise that I’m very lucky . My dads my best friend 

Well I am diabetic but they still don’t know if that was the reason,

I picked up an infection in my little toe which promptly died along with the one beside it.

I had a blockage in the main blood vessel to my foot, they fitted a stent and then removed my 2 toes and part of my foot hoping that would sort it, but no, so when I asked what the next plan was, they said a below knee amputation and if that didn’t work then above knee amputation. 😢

I didn’t take the news very well but after a few days I decided I could either let it define me or just get back to as near as possible as I was before, that’s what I decided to do 🤷🏻‍♂️

First picture is when toes died, second is after toes and part of foot removed, as you can see it didn’t work

IMG_1480.jpeg

IMG_1481.jpeg

1 hour ago, shaun4860 said:

Well I am diabetic but they still don’t know if that was the reason,

I picked up an infection in my little toe which promptly died along with the one beside it.

I had a blockage in the main blood vessel to my foot, they fitted a stent and then removed my 2 toes and part of my foot hoping that would sort it, but no, so when I asked what the next plan was, they said a below knee amputation and if that didn’t work then above knee amputation. 😢

I didn’t take the news very well but after a few days I decided I could either let it define me or just get back to as near as possible as I was before, that’s what I decided to do 🤷🏻‍♂️

First picture is when toes died, second is after toes and part of foot removed, as you can see it didn’t work

IMG_1480.jpeg

IMG_1481.jpeg

Wow 😮. I employ a diabetic lad and keep telling him he has to be carful as he’s living off chocolate 

41 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Wow 😮. I employ a diabetic lad and keep telling him he has to be carful as he’s living off chocolate 

Uncontrolled diabetes is one of the largest reasons for limb amputation and blindness.

I 've lived with type 1 diabetes for over 60 years (despite my parents having been told by a doctor that I would have a limited life span - probably as he stubbed out his cigarette) and had, so far, no side effects. It is rated as one of the more difficult conditions to successfully self control.

Edited by amateur

2 hours ago, team tractor said:

Tell him to be careful.

It took about 2 weeks for my toes to die, it happened that quickly, as I said they still don’t know if it was the diabetes that caused it.

In a moment of me playing silly beggars I asked what if I didn’t go for the leg amputation and continued trying various tablets and medication, the consultant said I would die and it would be a slow painful death as the infection worked its way from my foot to my heart 🫣

It puts things into perspective.

Also tell your employee that there was 4 of us at one point in a 6 bed unit having bits of us lopped off 🤦🏻‍♂️

33 minutes ago, shaun4860 said:

Tell him to be careful.

It took about 2 weeks for my toes to die, it happened that quickly, as I said they still don’t know if it was the diabetes that caused it.

In a moment of me playing silly beggars I asked what if I didn’t go for the leg amputation and continued trying various tablets and medication, the consultant said I would die and it would be a slow painful death as the infection worked its way from my foot to my heart 🫣

Also tell your employee that there was 4 of us at one point in a 6 bed unit having bits of us lopped off 🤦🏻‍♂️

I’ve tried telling him this . My dads friend lost half his foot . 

46 minutes ago, shaun4860 said:

Tell him to be careful.

Always better to be alive to groan about it 😂

I personally would have said shark attack 😂😂

anyway hopefully you’re getting to grips with it and making the most of every day

all the best

OF