Dog skitters

bishop

my lab has had a runny backside for 4 days now--eating well drinking well but totally loose bowel. vets gave us medicines probiotics but wifes concerned it may be something fatal .I fed him well cooked venison--no bones. last week not masses but reasonable bits here and there for days. im told this can react on occasion and give a dog the runs??????

Edited by bishop

Here's hoping it's nothing serious, I'm guessing the vet suggested boiled chicken and rice for a few days. It doesn't take much to upset many Dogs digestive system, my Springer has a diet of 3 different foods or he has constant runs. I have always found that Forthglade wet dog food tends to stop the runs, about 150 grams per meal is normally effective.

My previous Lab used to get this when she got old.  The vet gave me some paste stuff (can't remember what it was now as it's 15 years ago) that you put a measured amount on the food.  Came in a giant 'syringe' type thing with about 5 - 10 doses and markings for each dose on the plunger.  Worked very well.  I later discovered you could get the identical medicine in a much larger dispenser - and cheaper from a horse products supplier.

I think her digestion was beginning to get fragile (she was around 12) - but this stuff worked well and was used periodically as needed for the last year or so of her life.

Edit; It was something like (but not I think this brand) this https://www.nvsweb.co.uk/product/probiotic-digestive-paste/

or this https://www.vetpro.co.uk/products/digestive-function

Edited by JohnfromUK

On 15/12/2023 at 11:36, JohnfromUK said:

My previous Lab used to get this when she got old.  The vet gave me some paste stuff (can't remember what it was now as it's 15 years ago) that you put a measured amount on the food.  Came in a giant 'syringe' type thing with about 5 - 10 doses and markings for each dose on the plunger.  Worked very well.  I later discovered you could get the identical medicine in a much larger dispenser - and cheaper from a horse products supplier.

I think her digestion was beginning to get fragile (she was around 12) - but this stuff worked well and was used periodically as needed for the last year or so of her life.

Edit; It was something like (but not I think this brand) this https://www.nvsweb.co.uk/product/probiotic-digestive-paste/

or this https://www.vetpro.co.uk/products/digestive-function

Procolin?

2 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Procolin?

It's a long time ago and I can't remember I'm afraid.  It may no longer be available.  All I remember is that it was in that type of dispenser, worked effectively for my dog and was MUCH cheaper bought from a horse place in horse sized quantities.

• 1 month later...
On 15/12/2023 at 08:40, bishop said:
my lab has had a runny backside for 4 days now--eating well drinking well but totally loose bowel. vets gave us medicines probiotics but wifes concerned it may be something fatal .I fed him well cooked venison--no bones. last week not masses but reasonable bits here and there for days. im told this can react on occasion and give a dog the runs??????

how is your dog..............any feedback ?

hoping all is well

1 hour ago, bishop said:

He is ok thanks m8. it lasted a week.Got to have been the meat.His guts still gurgles now and again like he has issues so we got him on these pills with the "good bacteria".They seem to help a lot.

have you ever tried feeding him Chappie...........?.....its good stuff for out of sorts dogs.....thats why most vets stock it

worth bearing in mind some dogs can be maize sensertive

Edited by ditchman

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

have you ever tried feeding him Chappie...........?.....its good stuff for out of sorts dogs.....thats why most vets stock it

Aye we are going to be doing a change of food completely . the mrs has had him that chubb with his kibble for donkeys.

Venison is rich and can upset a lot of dogs mine seem to cop with most things but if they get the scraps from deer it can scour one of them  . They can be eating meat from the slaughter house ,deer head & legs , Salmon heads , sardines , pork crackling , lambs bones ,dry grub  once at a smallholding they tucked into horses  hoof trimmings . Infract mine go the other way some days you get the white marbles you used to see on street corners from dogs in days of old LOL  

15 hours ago, ditchman said:

Any of that tinned stuff is about 99'9% water thou 

1 hour ago, Bigbob said:

Venison is rich and can upset a lot of dogs mine seem to cop with most things but if they get the scraps from deer it can scour one of them  . They can be eating meat from the slaughter house ,deer head & legs , Salmon heads , sardines , pork crackling , lambs bones ,dry grub  once at a smallholding they tucked into horses  hoof trimmings . Infract mine go the other way some days you get the white marbles you used to see on street corners from dogs in days of old LOL  

Any of that tinned stuff is about 99'9% water thou 

yes it is .....it smells awful...its sticky like poo......it is truly awful stuff.....................but you know what its like penicillin for dogs...they love it and its very gentle on their tummies

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

yes it is .....it smells awful...its sticky like poo......it is truly awful stuff.....................but you know what its like penicillin for dogs...they love it and its very gentle on their tummies

So it horse flesh i will never get that again for them it comes out like tar unless you hang it for a fortnight LOL 

6 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

So it horse flesh i will never get that again for them it comes out like tar unless you hang it for a fortnight LOL 

i think it is mostly fish......smells more like if it has come out of a cats anus

We find that mashed whole potato is better than rice and white fish better than chicken.

Also try a short courses of Panacur , 1/2 dose for 3 days in case it is Giardia. That has a distinctive yellow colour in a very mushy poo.