How much wheat is needed for New DIY shoot?

Some advice please?

I've just taken on a New Shoot ( DIY ) for 24/25 season.

Need some advice on how much wheat will be needed please?

Birds will go in 3 Pens around July 24 time.

All Pheasants, we will be putting down around 1500 birds.

1st Day will be end of Oct 24 and last day end of Jan 25

So some advice of how many Tons of Wheat would be needed please.

Many thanks

Game and wildlife  conservation trusts states per 1000 bird - 2t of growers pellets to take up to 12 - 14 weeks  of age and then 6 tonnes of wheat. So you would need 3t of pellets and 9t of wheat 

the old saying used to be 1t of wheat per 100 birds from memory

just need to ensure they deer don’t empty your feeders

8 hours ago, jaydub1970 said:

Some advice please?

I've just taken on a New Shoot ( DIY ) for 24/25 season.

Need some advice on how much wheat will be needed please?

Birds will go in 3 Pens around July 24 time.

All Pheasants, we will be putting down around 1500 birds.

1st Day will be end of Oct 24 and last day end of Jan 25

So some advice of how many Tons of Wheat would be needed please.

Many thanks

Thats a lot of birds if you dont quite know what you are doing

More important is the cover etc 

It will largely depend on how much vermin and deer you have. One of our pens on a DIY shoot was close to a Rookery and could easily get through 40 to 50 kilos a day to Rooks and Jackdaws, had to resort to Battery operated spinners on barrel feeders. All deer love a feeder of any type during the winter months.

48 minutes ago, 8 shot said:

It will largely depend on how much vermin and deer you have. One of our pens on a DIY shoot was close to a Rookery and could easily get through 40 to 50 kilos a day to Rooks and Jackdaws, had to resort to Battery operated spinners on barrel feeders. All deer love a feeder of any type during the winter months.

This Corvids, Rodents and Deer can consume huge amounts.  We put down 600 and feed 7 tonnes in feeders and a lot doesn't go to the Pheasants.  Gets pricey @ £200 a tonne and a lot more in the not to distant past.

On 28/12/2023 at 15:16, archi said:

Game and wildlife  conservation trusts states per 1000 bird - 2t of growers pellets to take up to 12 - 14 weeks  of age and then 6 tonnes of wheat. So you would need 3t of pellets and 9t of wheat 

the old saying used to be 1t of wheat per 100 birds from memory

just need to ensure they deer don’t empty your feeders

Always worked on 1 ton per 100 birds and its nigh enough,1 ton of pellets for 400 birds

Edited by williamwansbeck

I had 1200 birds this season we got one shoot date left and i have used 4 ton wheat 1 ton of medicated 1 ton of growers 1 ton of chopped maze and got hardly any  left

i had 3 beaters out shooting squirrels over 3 pens  don't forget your bird numbers also decline as the year go on as been said it's got a lot to do with other wildlife eating its share 

You will need to feed the birds after your last day to keep them fed until the arrival of Spring and nature's natural larder becomes available again. Or at the very very least I hope that you will do so. But, yes, as others have said the feed bill should get less as you shoot more birds. FWIW if anyone has access to a .22LR rifle I'd use the six days between your last formal day and 1 February to at least "get in" amongst the cock birds and shoot as many as you can (and of course enjoy eating them). Again depending on the layout of the shoot you may benefit from "dogging in" and walking the hedgerows (or other lines of possible exit such as abandoned railway lines) in towards your main holding woods one the season begins. 

Edited by enfieldspares

10 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

You will need to feed the birds after your last day to keep them fed until the arrival of Spring and nature's natural larder becomes available again. Or at the very very least I hope that you will do so. But, yes, as others have said the feed bill should get less as you shoot more birds. FWIW if anyone has access to a .22LR rifle I'd use the six days between your last formal day and 1 February to at least "get in" amongst the cock birds and shoot as many as you can (and of course enjoy eating them). Again depending on the layout of the shoot you may benefit from "dogging in" and walking the hedgerows (or other lines of possible exit such as abandoned railway lines) in towards your main holding woods one the season begins. 

Yes - good point Enfieldspares

We actually feed all year round on our shoot - not all the hoppers but certainly half 

I really keep on top of the vermin and hand feed until well into spring too