What’s on the 2024 ‘pest birds’ general licences?

An overview from Shooting Times here:

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/news/whats-on-the-2024-pest-birds-licence-146929/

Country specific species lists and links to the general licences below.

2024-2025 England general licences.

The species listed on at least one England general licence are Canada goose, carrion crow, Egyptian goose, feral pigeon, Indian house crow, jackdaw, jay, magpie, monk parakeet, ring-necked parakeet, rook, sacred ibis and woodpigeon. 

https://www.gov.uk/search/guidance-and-regulation?parent=%2Fenvironment%2Fenvironmental-management-wildlife-habitat-conservation-birds&topic=66d84061-2900-406b-950a-683a1d908642

2024 Wales general licences.

The species listed on at least one Wales general licence are Canada goose, carrion crow, jackdaw, feral pigeon, ruddy duck and woodpigeon. 

https://naturalresources.wales/permits-and-permissions/species-licensing/bird-licensing/general-licences-for-birds-2024/

2024 Scotland general licences.

The species listed on at least one Scotland general licence are Canada goose, carrion crow, feral pigeon, greylag goose, hooded crow, jackdaw, jay, magpie, rook, ruddy duck and woodpigeon. 

https://www.nature.scot/professional-advice/protected-areas-and-species/licensing/species-licensing-z-guide/birds/general-licences-birds

2024 Northern Ireland interim general licences (1 Jan - 29 Feb).

The species currently listed on at least one Northern Ireland general licence are feral pigeon, hooded crow, jackdaw, magpie, rook and woodpigeon.

https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/wildlife-licensing

48 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Yes that as well,  totally confusing.  It would suggest the people writing them haven't a clue!

We are in a area where most birds at some time are spotted and I have also got a book in front of me called The Birds Of Great Yarmouth and believe it not there isn't a single mention of a sighting by the Indian House Crow , so we are certainly not over run by them :lol:

4 minutes ago, marsh man said:

We are in a area where most birds at some time are spotted and I have also got a book in front of me called The Birds Of Great Yarmouth and believe it not there isn't a single mention of a sighting by the Indian House Crow , so we are certainly not over run by them :lol:

Farcical!  I would think a right and left at an Indian House Crow and Sacred Ibis would be a rarity! 

11 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Sacred Ibis, never ever seen one.  Why on earth are they on a GL?

you never know shooting one of those may cause an uproar with some of the incomers from across the Chanel !

10 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Farcical!  I would think a right and left at an Indian House Crow and Sacred Ibis would be a rarity! 

That would easily get you into the Guinness Book Of Records and having them set up could make you a fortune :good:

1 hour ago, Mable said:

I had to Google images of both but being a new member on here seems I'm not allowed to post pictures.

No change to general licence in England that I can see. 

Next two years it is as is..

13 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Sacred Ibis, never ever seen one.  Why on earth are they on a GL?

Shoot on sight then. Non native invasive perhaps.. but that's a guess... 

6 hours ago, Mable said:

I had to Google images of both but being a new member on here seems I'm not allowed to post pictures.

No change to general licence in England that I can see. 

There you go, the crow looks a like a hoody. The ibis looks a lot like a err.........apparently the Egyptian's sacrificed loads of them, which proves how far sighted they were as they have only just been put on our GL some 5000 yrs later 

crow.jpeg.fdb07de2501976f7080327cae9b8199d.jpeg1085052798_AFRICANSACREDIBIS2.jpg.e212624b98b690cdec6fa27a8b947e83.jpg

1 minute ago, islandgun said:

There you go, the crow looks a like a hoody. The ibis looks a lot like a err.........apparently the Egyptian's sacrificed loads of them, which proves how far sighted they were as they have only just been put on our GL some 5000 yrs later 

crow.jpeg.fdb07de2501976f7080327cae9b8199d.jpeg1085052798_AFRICANSACREDIBIS2.jpg.e212624b98b690cdec6fa27a8b947e83.jpg

sacred ibis.pdf A helpful guide in case anyone isnt able to identify one when decoying

36 minutes ago, Scully said:

😂 Thanks, it would be an easy mistake to make! 

I wonder if its on the GL for being ugly, I will certainly shoot it on sight [but probably wont eat it] if one is daft enough to holiday up here

If we had either species around here we would have every birdwatcher from miles around to come and have look like they did on the television tonight when someone spotted a rare thrush or something , I would imagine it would go down a treat if somebody put a shot over a Sacred Ibis while the twitchers were watching it even if you were allowed to shoot it , anyhow if it was from the wader family would you have to use non toxic shot ? :hmm:

• 2 months later...

Fun fact on the sacred ibis

The species has yet to be recorded breeding in the wild in the UK. The sacred ibis is an opportunistic feeder and will predate on eggs and young of other birds. In France, predation of tern colonies has been observed, as well as the nests of mallards and a variety of other waterbirds.

The person might be thinking about recent changes or updates to the general licenses regarding pest bird control in 2024. They could be considering which species are included or excluded, any new regulations or restrictions, and how these changes may impact their pest management strategies or responsibilities.

On 04/01/2024 at 23:26, Weihrauch17 said:

A few  Glossy in part of Derbyshire.

Edited by old man

7 hours ago, smits said:

The person might be thinking about recent changes or updates to the general licenses regarding pest bird control in 2024. They could be considering which species are included or excluded, any new regulations or restrictions, and how these changes may impact their pest management strategies or responsibilities.

And who is "the person" to whom you are alluding to, may I ask ?