Common loon .

Good job, a very charismatic bird.

I was thrilled to see some (Great Northern Divers in the UK,) for the first time in 72 years, during a holiday on the isle of Harris and Lewis during April/May last year.

Edited by martinj

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris, I have a carved heron’s head I purchased last year with a view of trying to replicate it.

It has minimal painting, which suits my painting skills, and isn’t my strong point.

What matt varnish do you use, and is it brushed on, or sprayed on ?

Cheers

On 10/02/2024 at 15:29, Shambam1962 said:

Hi Chris, I have a carved heron’s head I purchased last year with a view of trying to replicate it.

It has minimal painting, which suits my painting skills, and isn’t my strong point.

What matt varnish do you use, and is it brushed on, or sprayed on ?

Cheers

sorry for delay Kevin i use this one.

IMG_1319.jpeg

Thank you Chris, I have used this brand previously, but in Gloss and found it very good on other projects.

I have cut the blank out on the bandsaw and just started to rough shape the heron, but can’t guarantee it will look like the original !

I have looked at purchasing a hanging type Dremel tool with the flexible shaft, but put off the Dremel make, as I’m on my 2nd Dremel hand tool, as they just suddenly stop working and the wire burns through on the coil inside the motor.

I have repaired them but won’t actually buy a Dremel make again, and looking at something a bit more heavy duty.

I will buy a tin of Matt spray varnish, if I get to stage, where I’m happy with my effort, and just ordered a pair of straw yellow glass eyes.