Government support for sustainable shooting reaffirmed at BASC meeting

The government’s support for sustainable shooting and the benefits it has for conservation and the rural economy were reaffirmed at a meeting between BASC chief executive Ian Bell, and Environment Secretary Steve Barclay MP.

A range of key issues facing shooting including gamebird release, firearms licensing and deer management were discussed at the meeting, held recently in Westminster.

Click the link below for more details:

https://basc.org.uk/government-support-for-sustainable-shooting-reaffirmed-at-basc-meeting/

11 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

A range of key issues facing shooting including gamebird release, firearms licensing and deer management were discussed at the meeting,

DANGER ! Compulsory Training for ALL.... I predicted this when the Phasing out of lead was first mention. It was the BASC's foot in the Governments door 

14 minutes ago, 8 shot said:

DANGER ! Compulsory Training for ALL.... I predicted this when the Phasing out of lead was first mention. It was the BASC's foot in the Governments door 

I make no comment one way or the other but simply ask, please, what made you mention that now?

Government money ALWAYS  comes at a cost, it's tax payers money and they will want to see a good return on there investment. It's happening in agriculture, They have the NFU in there pocket now, they make the bullets someone else fires them. They want control of the countryside and what's done within it

We are looking at the payments to control Deer and Squirrels, BASC start up a Approved deer stalker register, for Landowners to use. but you must have AT LEAST DSC1 The Squirrel control payment WS3 may require some sort of regular training. I wonder who will run that.... it's the thin end of the wedge.... nothing is free 

Edited by 8 shot

26 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I wonder how long it'll be before the, by then, more mature shooters, are searching the bottom of the wardrobe to make sure they still have theirs:-

BASC-PAS.jpg

I've got mine. Dated 1989. When there was another "scare" about having to show some sort of formal requirement for a "proof". A "proof" of what well that remained a mystery. Did it at Rowley Fields School for the classroom stuff and the field tests at Leicestershire Wildfowlers at Kibworth Shooting Ground.

Edited by enfieldspares

9 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I've got mine. Dated 1989. When there was another "scare" about having to show some sort of formal requirement for a "proof". A "proof" of what well that remained a mystery. Did it at Rowley Fields School for the classroom stuff and the field tests at Leicestershire Wildfowlers at Kibworth Shooting Ground.

We'd gone to The Mill for a meeting of HEO's as they were later called when Gerry Turner realised that we hadn't "qualified" so we had to do the exam there and then which explains "at Marford Mill" instead of somewhere like yourself.

Just now, wymberley said:

We'd gone to The Mill for a meeting of HEO's as they were later called when Gerry Turner realised that we hadn't "qualified" so we had to do the exam there and then which explains "at Marford Mill" instead of somewhere like yourself.

So you had to borrow a gun for the climbing over an obstacle and "Would you shoot that bird?" and all of that?

9 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

So you had to borrow a gun for the climbing over an obstacle and "Would you shoot that bird?" and all of that?

No, that had all been taken care of during the Hon REDO (original HEO title) selection. It was just that we hadn't actually sat the exam which could have caused an embarrassment if anyone had asked.

3 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

The government’s support for sustainable shooting and the benefits it has for conservation and the rural economy were reaffirmed at a meeting between BASC chief executive Ian Bell, and Environment Secretary Steve Barclay MP.

A range of key issues facing shooting including gamebird release, firearms licensing and deer management were discussed at the meeting, held recently in Westminster.

Click the link below for more details:

https://basc.org.uk/government-support-for-sustainable-shooting-reaffirmed-at-basc-meeting/

What on earth does Steve Barclay know about the countryside and shooting, totally unqualified for the job like virtually every other Minister.

His Countryside CV :

Born in Lancashire and privately educated at King Edward VII School, Lytham, Barclay attended the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst and served in the British Army on a gap year commission. He then read history at Peterhouse, Cambridge, before qualifying as a solicitor through the College of Law.

7 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

@8 shot @Weihrauch17 this is a positive update for the shooting community and this is a public forum and you might put aside your views on BASC (we all get it) and show some restraint in your comments. Please.

Sorry you have lost me, where did I criticise BASC on this thread!  I was commenting on many Ministers being totally unqualified for the positions they hold, Barclay included.  Goes a good way to explain the God awful state the country is in wherever you look.

Edited by Weihrauch17

3 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Sorry you have lost me, where did I criticise BASC on 

6 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

shot @Weihrauch17 this is a positive update for the shooting community and this is a public forum and you might put aside your views on BASC (we all get it) and show some restraint in your comments. Please

History repeating itself, no lessons learned apparently.

8 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Sorry you have lost me, where did I criticise BASC on this thread!  I was commenting on many Ministers being totally unqualified for the positions they hold, Barclay included.  Goes a good way to explain the God awful state the country is in wherever you look.

I think most of us on here, and some on here a lot longer on here than you, with an interest in the protection and promotion of shooting, know exactly what you are doing here, so please don't take us for fools. I suggest that we all keep an eye out for you on the next call to action on consultations as that is when I think you are rather quiet.

20 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

@8 shot @Weihrauch17 this is a positive update for the shooting community and this is a public forum and you might put aside your views on BASC (we all get it) and show some restraint in your comments. Please.

how can this be positive when it’s the gov reaffirming the SAME support that has seen them impose even more restrictions on us and your touting it as good news we are all ears to hear how that works then! 

2 minutes ago, clangerman said:

how can this be positive when it’s the gov reaffirming the SAME support that has seen them impose even more restrictions on us and your touting it as good news we are all ears to hear how that works then! 

Which restrictions?

3 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

I think most of us on here, and some on here a lot longer on here than you, with an interest in the protection and promotion of shooting, know exactly what you are doing here, so please don't take us for fools. I suggest that we all keep an eye out for you on the next call to action on consultations as that is when I think you are rather quiet.

Sorry you have lost me again and present a very obnoxious face of BASC.  Protection of shooting, yes promoting a Lead Ban will do wonders for it you Clown.

7 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

I am not interested in any of your consultations, they all ask the question 5 years after you have proposed a Lead Ban.  Bizarre unless your membership has seen the light.

2 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Your aggressive tone mirrors past arguments and your time on the forum would be better spent stating specific reasoning for your line of thought rather than a generalised criticism. Your use of us and we in your reply isn’t as subtle as you might imagine. In Weihrauch17’s defence he didn’t actually criticise BASC in his post in fact he didn’t mention them. 

4 minutes ago, Konor said:

Your aggressive tone mirrors past arguments and your time on the forum would be better spent stating specific reasoning for your line of thought rather than a generalised criticism. Your use of us and we in your reply isn’t as subtle as you might imagine. In Weihrauch17’s defence he didn’t actually criticise BASC in his post in fact he didn’t mention them. 

He must have fallen in love with the useless Steve Barclay 🤣

11 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Sorry you have lost me again and present a very obnoxious face of BASC

+1 

I think you should bear in mind Conor that this is an open forum and that you are representing BASC. When you are unjustly criticising posters on the forum it not only reflects on you but also BASC. I think in your haste to defend BASC you , yet again , have made unwarranted accusations. It would maybe be better if you read over the posts carefully before posting yourself and perhaps consider nipping this one in the bud.