King Charles ain't the only one.

Dave-G

I had a camera up my dongle 10 days ago to investigate a 'potential something' that a scan showed up - after a practice nurse noticed I'd lost 18kg since my last annual review. Then came a MRI scan that showed a possible something in my bladder. I'm seriously peeved that they elected to investigate with a large rigid cystoscopy "just in case' something needed to be removed instead of a nicer smaller gentle flexible one for a looksee like I had a few years ago.  A little thickening of the bladder wall was noticed but nothing needed to be taken away. The large camera size resulted in massive damage just inside my urethra that makes a catheter insertion intense agony - I'm guessing nerve ends got exposed or damaged: the surgeon claims it can't be damaged but he's not the one who screams if anything is introduced there. 

Since then I've endured intense pain just inside my dongle and I've made it clear if the catheter needs replacing (again) it'll have to be done under sedation, which they say they wont do.The second catheter insertion attempt, in A&E because the first got blocked, would not get past prostate median lobe enlargements protruding into the bladder. I suffered a third one being put in with a wire brace to push past the prostate lobes. I screamed like a girl with that while two assistants restrained my hands to prevent me pushing it away. I cannot go through that again and the urology department don't allow a patient to return if there's any issue after 48 hours have passed. 

Well I noticed the catheter was blocked again by 50 hours. If I was a good lad I'd have to go to the overworked A&E, bother them again with assessments etc before they send me back to the urology department at the different hospital by ambulance. Well I have some syringes from when I worked with fibreglass resin so I flushed it out myself using a little salt into boiling water that I then let cool down. I've cleared out substantial amounts of blood clots and other debri and its draining ok again. They put me on antibiotics which will hopefully deal with anything in the boiled tap water.

Before this episode I was weeing fine with the help of Tamsulosin with no urine retention or pain of any kind. I've looked at several online images of the male urethra path and there is no straight path into the bladder that I can see and can only assume the rigid camera/scope was rammed in and possibly shoved the prostate lobes a bit.

I now have to have a procedure that HRH possibly had - lobes removed from my prostate.  If they do that through my urethra without general anesthetic I'd rather step in front of a train than take that pain again.

Edited by Dave-G

12 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

If they are taking samples of the Prostrate  to check for. Cancer  they do it from up you back passage 

Thanks for that John, I'm thinking its less of a sampling for cancer issue than clearing the prostrate lobes protruding into the bladder so the urethra path isn't restricted. Some Google results suggest that might be done with a laser through the urethra.

Perhaps I then wont need the Tamsulosin.

Edited by Dave-G

8 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Thanks for that John, I'm thinking its less of a sampling for cancer issue than clearing the prostrate lobes protruding into the bladder so the urethra path isn't restricted. Some Google results suggest that might be done with a laser through the urethra.

Perhaps I then wont need the Tamsulosin.

Dave think I have seen the process on YouTube  to do what Your talking about I am on a 4 weeks course of antibiotics  for prostratetitus . I take Tamsulosin .but at the moment I could read a book while peeing 😀😀

36 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Dave think I have seen the process on YouTube  to do what Your talking about I am on a 4 weeks course of antibiotics  for prostratetitus . I take Tamsulosin .but at the moment I could read a book while peeing 😀😀

Blimey - I hope that gets taken care of soon mate.

My younger brother had prostate cancer, was told he will die with it rather than die from it.

He's cut out vegetable oil and margarine etc and lots of other foods that apparently cause us inflammation so no more pasty's, white bread etc unless he makes it himself. He now uses beef dripping or lard for frying.

Also cereals that are sprayed off with weedkiller before harvesting. He's now clear of cancer at his last check up.

I've just checked my catheter drain bag - almost yellow urine now instead of redish pink. 

Edited by Dave-G

Infections in the bladder can be a beggar to treat I know a few who have had to have drip fed antibiotics in hospital to clear up a persistent infection!

had the camera up a while ago and even the urologist told me to hold on to something as this bit was going to hurt ! As he pushed the camera through my enlarged prostate!

I have raised blood vessels in my bladder due to enlarged prostate they have bled now and again 

holing your get sorted Dave G

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

Blimey - I hope that gets taken care of soon mate.

My younger brother had prostate cancer, was told he will die with it rather than die from it.

He's cut out vegetable oil and margarine etc and lots of other foods that apparently cause us inflammation so no more pasty's, white bread etc unless he makes it himself. He now uses beef dripping or lard for frying.

Also cereals that are sprayed off with weedkiller before harvesting. He's now clear of cancer at his last check up.

I've just checked my catheter drain bag - almost yellow urine now instead of redish pink. 

Great news on both accounts Steve-G

I had a prostate reduction done down my willy. Local anesthetic and did not feel a thing. Guy said they could have taken my leg off and i would not have felt it! worst part was after wards walking round the wards with a tube in and carrying a pee bag. removing the tube also  is not a lot of fun.

If catheter insertion is painful you should try a smaller one, start at a No10 maybe and work your way up - there are also many types of catheter and you can get free samples, pointed ones, curved ones etc. The biggest problem is that you tense up as the action is unnatural but you will soon get used to it and it becomes no more traumatic than brushing your teeth.

4 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Infections in the bladder can be a beggar to treat I know a few who have had to have drip fed antibiotics in hospital to clear up a persistent infection!

had the camera up a while ago and even the urologist told me to hold on to something as this bit was going to hurt ! As he pushed the camera through my enlarged prostate!

I have raised blood vessels in my bladder due to enlarged prostate they have bled now and again 

holing your get sorted Dave G

Hope you get sorted out mate. They say i have marked diverticula and significant trabeculations.

I was awake for my previous smaller flexible scope but under general anaesthetic for the bigger rigid one. ISTR being told to anticipate some pain passing through the prostate with the flexi one: I'm getting different answers as to if the urethra passes through a hole in the prostate or alongside/behind it. I suspect they have to ram a larger rigid one through and I'm beginning to lose confidence in the surgeon and his prepping team because of the way they avoid spelling it out. They also won't tell me how big the camera head is but I recall some reference that larger one's are used if its thought something may need to be removed. Nothing was taken. I'm slightly autistic and dyslexic so can't take everything in in one go.

My understanding was there is an gradually shrinking hole size though as a prostate enlarges to the extent it slows urine passage: so how come they can get a chuffing camera scope through it without forcing it open a little more... leading to some parts being pushed aside or along... into the bladder opening.

Word processing makes me seem better when online.

Edited by Dave-G

I had a fairly lengthy brush with Prostatitis back 2010 which seemed to on on for months and would flare up again for a few years after. I had a standing repeat antibiotic prescription for use when it was bad but it was murder when it did and involved resorting to using a special memory foam ring doughnut shaped cushion just to be able to sit down for a bit. The theory was it was caused by dehydration and stress at losing my aged mother who lived 200+ miles away who was found dead after the police were alerted and had to put her door in. I have been on Tamsulosin - with finasteride when it first kicked off ever since. The latter did not agree with me at all.

I know women can have more than their fair share of issues 'down there' but it isn't always plain sailing for us gents either.

7 hours ago, clangerman said:

recommend a gp with small hands for the lower type examinations swear I  caught mine taking a run up! 

Oh man I had a awful experience recently. Doctor wanted to do an examination of the back passage I thought it was just the old index finger routine. 

Right at the last second he grabbed some sort of instrument and stuck it where the sun don't shine with force I was In agony,first time in my life that I vocalised pain with screaming while seeing the doctor.