Another auction item sorted

I bought a Miroku O/U at auction a while back as a friend had one and it felt well made and balanced. Mine was cheap around £40 and while it was not in wonderful condition, it was choked IC/IC, which I like and it worked (mostly!)

it had a 15 1/2 inch LOP with a rather odd 2” wooden extension, a bit long for me but clay shooting is an occasional pastime so I wasn’t that concerned. It developed, or more likely already had, an issue with firing the second barrel, irrespective of which one was selected. I put it away until today when I thought I would have a look at it. 
I was surprised at being unable to remove the stock, there seemed only to be the two screws behind the trigger guard, I called my friend who advised me that there should be a stock bolt. It appeared that whoever fitted the extension just glued it to the stock! Looking closer I saw the faint outline of a circle and realised that the extension was screwed on but that dowels had been glued in to hide the screws!  Very aesthetic but not conducive to any maintenance! I drilled out the dowels and eventually removed the extension and subsequently the stock.

the actual fault was with the rocker mechanism which flips the sear, it was bone dry and covered in dirt and crud, cleaning and light lubrication quickly sorted the problem. I wonder whether the stock extension had been on for years and when the gun played up it was stuck in the auction at low cost to get rid?

I took the opportunity to fit a small recoil pad that I had salvaged elsewhere and now the LOP is a much more comfortable 14”B3C0C83D-5D45-475F-83F0-1F7F51441393.jpeg.9f3d79e42aa674e2f0df982f6a68fb38.jpeg

8AA4492A-DFF0-452E-9F92-8736D40C233F.jpeg.8abca1d7165c327a3991906370bc16f3.jpeg

A3FDD037-EE7B-4C06-9775-1B9B329376B5.jpeg.6855cfab5a0564a725d9294186c0c746.jpeg

Edited by impala59

I admire you for having a go and putting right someone else`s bad workmanship/maintenance along with that Remington you got working ok.

It only takes a bit of determination and your obvious skill of course.

Well done.

OB

10 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, what model is the Miroku ?? , That looks a good job done on the Stock, Crazy money at £40, 

Not sure of the model, doesn't seem to be marked anywhere? Just BC MIROKU on the underside of the receiver, a little scroll engraving on the side. gold washed trigger, basically quite a conservative (small c) gun but feels just about right to me. With its short, 26" open choked (IC/IC) barrels it feels superb in the shoulder (in my humble opinion!) I have always admired my friends Miroku, although his was much more expensive and multichoke, but mine has the same wonderful feel of quality that is difficult to put my finger on. They do seem to know how to build guns though! Maybe someone in the PW massive can identify this one?

M1.jpg.7ef97f33abe66971f4d2b32d30032287.jpg

M2.jpg.e69889a21ffd0c884ca2db5edf50b899.jpg

2 hours ago, impala59 said:

Not sure of the model, doesn't seem to be marked anywhere? Just BC MIROKU on the underside of the receiver, a little scroll engraving on the side. gold washed trigger, basically quite a conservative (small c) gun but feels just about right to me. With its short, 26" open choked (IC/IC) barrels it feels superb in the shoulder (in my humble opinion!) I have always admired my friends Miroku, although his was much more expensive and multichoke, but mine has the same wonderful feel of quality that is difficult to put my finger on. They do seem to know how to build guns though! Maybe someone in the PW massive can identify this one?

M1.jpg.7ef97f33abe66971f4d2b32d30032287.jpg

M2.jpg.e69889a21ffd0c884ca2db5edf50b899.jpg

Hello, Thanks for posting, i would look at contacting the Miroku factory in Japan ??, as a side note that was going to be on my list of places to visit had i gone to Japan a few years ago, Keep us posted👍

17 hours ago, adzyvilla said:

Looks a lot like my dads ORE, but I think the 600/800 and ORE were very similar. His doesn't have any model number on it either, but it was marked up as such when he bought it 40 odd years ago.

agreed, more than likely a skeet gun going by the chokes and barrel length, bombproof guns and that one was a bargain.

OP, can you post a picture of the action please.

Give @Miroku Matta shout. If he can’t identify it no one can. 👍

Nice job by the way, and well done. There are many many way too good to ignore classic designs out there which are often overlooked because they’re either….not HP steel shot proofed, too tightly choked ( another nonsense due to the impending ban of lead shot ) no warranty, not fashionable or just deemed to be too old. Good for you. 👍
Irrespective of the ban I have just bought a 1941 Winchester M12, choked at full, to replace one I had to sell around 20 years ago. 
I can’t wait to get out with it. 
The older I get the more retro I seem to get; am seriously considering another old clunky Breda. 🤷‍♂️

14 minutes ago, Scully said:

Give @Miroku Matta shout. If he can’t identify it no one can. 👍

Nice job by the way, and well done. There are many many way too good to ignore classic designs out there which are often overlooked because they’re either….not HP steel shot proofed, too tightly choked ( another nonsense due to the impending ban of lead shot ) no warranty, not fashionable or just deemed to be too old. Good for you. 👍
Irrespective of the ban I have just bought a 1941 Winchester M12, choked at full, to replace one I had to sell around 20 years ago. 
I can’t wait to get out with it. 
The older I get the more retro I seem to get; am seriously considering another old clunky Breda. 🤷‍♂️

Now there's a breda in the sale section.They were clunky but great for the pigeons or foreshore.

Thanks for the tagging folks. Absolutely looks like an ORE to me which is essentially a 600 (disc strikers) .Gun will be circa 1972/74 ish. It is unlikely to be stamped up at IC/IC probably started life as 1/2 and full I would think. That aswell as the drop on the stock and the swept back pistol grip would make it a game version. Those things are bullet proof. Hope this helps

9 hours ago, islandgun said:

great job ! Like the recoil pad do you know what make

The pad was from another auction purchase, a Silver Century O/U (CYL/CYL) that I have modified a little for slug shooting. Due to the kick of slugs I fitted a slip-on squishy pad which makes it comfortable if not aesthetically pleasing! Probably offend a few purists too!

See below ( this one cost £16 )

1830521686_silvercentury.jpg.b24c10d7d495488071f820b8b77cd8d7.jpg

8 hours ago, old'un said:

agreed, more than likely a skeet gun going by the chokes and barrel length, bombproof guns and that one was a bargain.

OP, can you post a picture of the action please.

844198384_maction1.jpg.c851899d3953fe9c50f9e648c87d2f7a.jpg530081521_maction2.jpg.50c8fbfa4179a98fdea43d19299541dc.jpg

Edited by impala59

23 minutes ago, Miroku Matt said:

Thanks for the tagging folks. Absolutely looks like an ORE to me which is essentially a 600 (disc strikers) .Gun will be circa 1972/74 ish. It is unlikely to be stamped up at IC/IC probably started life as 1/2 and full I would think. That aswell as the drop on the stock and the swept back pistol grip would make it a game version. Those things are bullet proof. Hope this helps

Thank you Matt! The '70s were always good for me and as you and others have stated this gun does indeed seem bulletproof, indications of wear seem almost non existent!

top barrel marked 3 .729" bottom 5 .729"

Edited by impala59

1 hour ago, Scully said:

M12 remains an itch I still have to scratch! Along with this list.......... Remington's M 10, 17, 29 and 31, Plus a 1937 Ithaca M37, all old but all solid, usable and, dare I say, fun to shoot!

27 minutes ago, wisdom said:

Hi scully member evcecil guns for sale 

Thankyou. I thought I’d seen one somewhere, thanks. 

8 minutes ago, impala59 said:

M12 remains an itch I still have to scratch! Along with this list.......... Remington's M 10, 17, 29 and 31, Plus a 1937 Ithaca M37, all old but all solid, usable and, dare I say, fun to shoot!

🙂👍

14 hours ago, impala59 said:

The pad was from another auction purchase, a Silver Century O/U (CYL/CYL) that I have modified a little for slug shooting. Due to the kick of slugs I fitted a slip-on squishy pad which makes it comfortable if not aesthetically pleasing! Probably offend a few purists too!

See below ( this one cost £16 )

1830521686_silvercentury.jpg.b24c10d7d495488071f820b8b77cd8d7.jpg

844198384_maction1.jpg.c851899d3953fe9c50f9e648c87d2f7a.jpg530081521_maction2.jpg.50c8fbfa4179a98fdea43d19299541dc.jpg

I think its a 600 ORE skeet gun 26” barrels, one way to to find out if the chokes have been altered is looking at the original choke markings.

1857682074_mirukobook.jpg.c46ae9e6eba976028ac503226205834e.jpg