Smoothest springer

oowee

2 hours ago, oowee said:

If I were to buy the smoothest springer / gas ram sub 12 what would it be? Is there a recoiless hunting rifle (not pcn)? 

Unless you have a means of getting around Newton's third law....

14 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Why not get a PCP considering you’re trying to get the attributes of one? 

I have one. Just fancied something for pesky squirrels  😁

Ideally I want to get something with diopter sights just for a bit of interest. 

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

Ah nice. I used to shoot in a pub league on the old bell targets with rifles with those sights. 

Great fun, but I think the guns were only about 6 ft/lb in energy as don’t need to be full power. 

Hello, Spring or Gas ram they are not true recoiless , A spring rifle you can get tuned, the gas ram is just a slight thud, HW do the 90 K GR , not sure where to go on springers, a 22 is more fore giving, if you want a rifle with diopter sights i am sure there only spring rifles

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

4 hours ago, oowee said:

😁

Have a word with @ditchman

He did an post on a diopter sighted springer if I remember correctly. Very nicely done job it was too. 

The FWB 300(?) was a side lever operated spring gun with diopter sights and a recoiless action. But has been mentioned 6ftlb only and heavy as.  

47 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Factory probably TX200 but a bit heavy for hunting, a SFS Tuned HW99 would be a good choice.

Not that Im a boinger but doesn't the wight absorb the recoil bit like a sporter shotgun. Guess Scottie was right.... 

8 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

He did an post on a diopter sighted springer if I remember correctly. Very nicely done job it was too. 

The FWB 300(?) was a side lever operated spring gun with diopter sights and a recoiless action. But has been mentioned 6ftlb only and heavy as.  

Not that Im a boinger but doesn't the wight absorb the recoil bit like a sporter shotgun. Guess Scottie was right.... 

i will try and take a pic of my HW77 and post it later................have a fudge back a few years and you will find the thread about me making it....use the search function with relevant words

56 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

Yes but a well tuned airgun has a nudge, even the HW99.  The TX200 great to shoot but weighs a tonne, not a problem if he is sat over a feeder.

2 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Yes but a well tuned airgun has a nudge, even the HW99.  The TX200 great to shoot but weighs a tonne, not a problem if he is sat over a feeder.

thats why i dont shoot my 77 anymore ...you need a wheel barrow to carry it about

To reduce recoil in a springvor gas ram gun .it needs to be very well tuned so every thing works in harmony (very rare in a brand new off the shelf gun ) and it needs to be heavy to absorb the recoil .

It's possible to find sh guns on the racks that shoot so well because they are well run in  and are smooth  its also possible to find ones that will kick your teeth out. So look and try. No decent rfd will refuse you a few shots of an old springer that he has had kicking about for years if it means a sale .

You could look at pump ups also .

Recoil less like a pcp while being independent of tanks etc .

I was playing with a sharp innova this week that took my eye .5 easy  pumps had me up To  8 fpe .

There are newer  versions available  .

I have a old bsa lightening in .177 that is the nicest  full power  spring gun I've ever shot .but its well used and is in perfect balance its also super accurate as a result . The best ive had was a 6 fpe hw30 .177 which was well used and almost pcp like. 

19 hours ago, oowee said:

You can put a diopter on anything you want, I've got a FWB 300SU it's a lot of fun for plinking and folk have put scopes on them, but they are low powered guns, because they are 10mtr target guns.

Screenshot_20230522-211327_Gallery.jpg.d6eb90cc877df1aa4363fa8539a5dc98.jpg

Screenshot_20230522-152654_Gallery.jpg.c49ba9ddca4ccf80142a3f3baaee37e3.jpg

Plenty of lads have TXs, Pro Sports, 97s which run smoothly but they'll have been polished and fettled.

Thanks for all the replies. I had read about virtualy recoiless springers for target shooting so thought it should be possible to get something for hunting. 

I have a Daystate Huntsman sitting without a scope. I might put something on that. In Africa we have used the red dot and maybe something like that might work. Bushnell do a reflex and there are some aimpoint options. I want to have a wider field of view than a scope. 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Thanks for all the replies. I had read about virtualy recoiless springers for target shooting so thought it should be possible to get something for hunting. 

I have a Daystate Huntsman sitting without a scope. I might put something on that. In Africa we have used the red dot and maybe something like that might work. Bushnell do a reflex and there are some aimpoint options. I want to have a wider field of view than a scope. 

got a Hawke red dot if you’re after a cheap one for an air rifle 👍🏻

2 hours ago, oowee said:

There is the TXSR but I doubt you'd want to carry it around far, and they are pretty rare, few 3 or 4 a year maybe for sale.

On 16/02/2024 at 11:20, oowee said:

A 2- 7  scope is pretty wide on 2x  and obviously  1 -  4 x scopes are also available but can be  very expensive .

Giving the option of going up to 7x if you should so wish . 

The issue often with red dots is that they are often 4 or 5 moa dots which can be quite big and cover the target visually at range - say 20 yds plus  especially a squirrel head . The + on a scope will be much finer .

3 moa red dots are also available  which is smaller but then they can be hard to see in bright light even if they are  brightness adjustable .  As always it's a compromise.  I'd go with the low mag scope personally .

My 97k with a fairly basic tbt home tune and short stroke extension is a gentle nudge into the shoulder. 

I have a 77k that I plan to to do the same kit on but give it a dang good polish as well, just go see.

I'd love to try a top end competition 97/77/prosport to see how much better they are, but I'm probably (read definitely) not a good enough shooter to tell the difference. 

On 15/02/2024 at 11:09, oowee said:

If I were to buy the smoothest springer / gas ram sub 12 what would it be? Is there a recoiless hunting rifle (not pcn)? 

In addition to having a recently serviced and professionally fettled trigger Theoben Fenman gas ram in .22, I have two Daystate MkIV IS PCP's - one sub 12 ft lb .177 and a .22 FAC  with both PCP's having the electronic trigger.

After lengthy pellet testing with both PCP's, at 35 yards indoors they produce pellet, on pellet, on pellet ad infinitum 1/4" groups. If you want I can bore you with pictures of groups - but in terms of accuracy with factory ammo they are the most accurate guns I own. I do have FAC centre fire rifles that will also one-hole at various ranges but that is with developed home loads and a different discussion.

The Fenman is good, but not as good as the PCP's because, despite the fettled two stage trigger it will never be as smooth as the electronic PCP's and there is some recoil with best groups at 35 yards being about 1/2" to 3/4" - but in 10 shots I always seem to get a flier. That could probably be down to the idiot pulling the trigger but I'm not noticing anything different when I do get a flier.

All that said, for seated 25 - 30 yard shots at tree rats on a feeder or for a slow walk through a wood, I will always take the much lighter 16" barrel Fenman cos it is a much more pleasant carry  and is still a special memory from my (very distant) yooof and a BSA springer. 

Just buy one and enjoy it?

Edited by Eyefor

is the prosport without a doubt.only problem with it is it is very hold sensitive.mine will group well if standing but then if you rest it the poa will change and then if you shoot prone the poa will change again.all good if you only shoot of a rest though.had the tx for 3 months but did not like the flip,put a silencer on the end but then it was no longer a carbine.prosport is so much better than a 98,77,80,95 but then it should be for the extra £300.

On 16/02/2024 at 10:25, Mice! said:

You can put a diopter on anything you want, I've got a FWB 300SU it's a lot of fun for plinking and folk have put scopes on them, but they are low powered guns, because they are 10mtr target guns.

Screenshot_20230522-211327_Gallery.jpg.d6eb90cc877df1aa4363fa8539a5dc98.jpg

Screenshot_20230522-152654_Gallery.jpg.c49ba9ddca4ccf80142a3f3baaee37e3.jpg

Plenty of lads have TXs, Pro Sports, 97s which run smoothly but they'll have been polished and fettled.

Hey, put my gun away, I don't want it getting scratched...😁