This tree could tell some stories.

JDog

I had a picture book when I was younger that told the story of an oak tree from when it was planted in pre Norman times by a forgetful jay all the way through to the second world war. It was wonderfully illustrated and I dearly wish I still had it. I'm sure this tree could tell some similar tales.

13 hours ago, Aled said:

There is a very old oak tree next to my local rugby club pitch, the club is over 150 years old, we often comment as to what that tree has seen over its lifetime! 

Playing school rugby in the first half of the 1960’s we visited one grammar school where a tree overhung one corner of the pitch. The referee, their coach, explained before we kicked off that the local rule was that if you kicked for touch and the ball rebounded off the tree, play on!

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

i believe some of the oldest trees are yew trees in churchyards......dont know if anyone can confirm that..

Yes - notably https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortingall_Yew

I have passed it many times when staying in Glen Lyon and called in and visited.  I have to say that it is rather 'under impressive' as it looks more like a ring of old suckers rather than a tree now!

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Playing school rugby in the first half of the 1960’s we visited one grammar school where a tree overhung one corner of the pitch. The referee, their coach, explained before we kicked off that the local rule was that if you kicked for touch and the ball rebounded off the tree, play on!

Great rule! Hope it continues.