Lee Anderson joins Reform UK

johnphilip

1 hour ago, Stonepark said:

Sine the main parties are continuing their move to the left, I would suggest it is not Lee leaving Labour and then Conservatives, but rather the parties leaving Lee......

With regards resigning and calling another "costly" by election (which may not happen before the proposed May election date), if he is still representing his constituents who a lot of are now supporting Reform, is he still not following their mandate as we vote for the person, not the party?

You could argue that if he hadn’t made a big point about how others in the same position should call a by-election. 

Yet when he is in that position he refuses. 

This clearly shows that he is not a man of any principles and instead is just out to further his own position. 

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

He is perfectly entitled to change his mind (or jump ship onto the next one) - as he clearly has done twice now.  He will likely move again if he things it will benefit him.  I vote for a person whose views agree with my own and he/she is prepared to represent those views in Parliament. 

I wouldn't vote for someone who just changes with the way the wind is blowing today.

He appears to change his principles depending on which way the wind is blowing… or more which way suits his own advancement. 

Another snout in the trough! 

Edited by Lloyd90

1 hour ago, Stonepark said:

Sine the main parties are continuing their move to the left, I would suggest it is not Lee leaving Labour and then Conservatives, but rather the parties leaving Lee......

With regards resigning and calling another "costly" by election (which may not happen before the proposed May election date), if he is still representing his constituents who a lot of are now supporting Reform, is he still not following their mandate as we vote for the person, not the party?

Indeed - he's had the whip removed by a party that used to be on the right for being on the right - so is now contemplating joining a party that is further right than the now only vaguely right tories.

I call that standing by his beliefs and not being afraid to speak them: is moving to where he can air them more freely.

Edited by Dave-G

13 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Indeed - he's had the whip removed by a party that used to be on the right for being on the right - so is now contemplating joining a party that is further right than the now only vaguely right tories.

I call that standing by his beliefs and not being afraid to speak them: is moving to where he can air them more freely.

And what of the hypocrisy? 

Saying others in his position must call a by election then when he’s in that position refusing to do so? 

I was a member of the Conservative Party back in the late 1970s and, indeed, was at Nigel Lawson's adoption meeting when he was selected as the candidate for Blaby in Leicestershire. The Tory Party back then wasn't "of the right" it was the party of those, now despised, it seems, by the likes of its present idiot headbangers, of what were known as "one nation Conservatives". I left in in 1987 over the Tory ban, Thatcher, on self-loading rifles. Realising that it had become a party where the individual rights of British people were thought less important than headline grabbing policies to remove the blame from the failures of others whilst appeasing the the shrill voiced. It had begun the journey to the authoritarianism of the small minded and its becoming "the Nasty Party". It was no longer for me.

Edited by enfieldspares

Ex Notts miner,and a bit of a handful by all accounts, wonder if he was a Scab?

Ex Labour councillor, I wonder what happened there?  

Now Ex Tory, for speaking his mind on matters that concern many people in the UK.  Any future he may have in the Commons is likley to be short lived, although he may have another 5 years to come, but I can see them being the last..

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

And what of the hypocrisy? 
Saying others in his position must call a by election then when he’s in that position refusing to do so? 

Times have changed in the last few months - barely a month goes by without seeing the Tories sink even lower into a cesspit - away from his liking.

Umpteen Tory voters have become disenchanted with the party and I imagine many of his constituents will be voting REFORM even if only to get more action on Brexit - as per the Mandate Boris won the election on for them - and migration.

Edited by Dave-G

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

He and the others that defect, shouldn't have a choice. Moving party mid-term, shoild automatically trigger a by-election.

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

He and the others that defect, shouldn't have a choice. Moving party mid-term, shoild automatically trigger a by-election.

it's hardly "mid term" AND

there's a distinct possibility that there could be a "national" election in 2 months so what would be the point?

1 hour ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

it's hardly "mid term" AND

there's a distinct possibility that there could be a "national" election in 2 months so what would be the point?

Then no by-election and his constituency will have to do without an MP representing them in parliament, it's not like they would notice any difference.

If an MP dies or quits close to an election (not sure on the exact period) this is what happens.

Either way he should be out of a job, until his constituents decide they want him in his new party choice. Especially as this is what he has called for in the past.

It should have happened as soon as the whip was removed and he was no longer a Con.

Then no by-election and his constituency will have to do without an MP representing them in parliament, it's not like they would notice any difference.

If an MP dies or quits close to an election (not sure on the exact period) this is what happens.

Either way he should be out of a job, until his constituents decide they want him in his new party choice. Especially as this is what he has called for in the past.

It should have happened as soon as the whip was removed and he was no longer a Con.

ok then.

what I would urge you to do is ACTUALLY google (other search engines are available) how many actual MP's are in the same boat as Lee,whip removed or similar and are now Independents etc.

you'll be surprised!

should they all call a by-election?

Er, no.  Imagine how many byelections there'd be in Diane Abbott's constituency.  Frankly he's doing the tax payer a favour given that there'll be a general election very soon anyway.  Despite what he said.

And those wondering whether he'll be re-elected.  I'm going to guess yes.  Yes he will be.

The Electorate  vote for the person to represent them in Parliament.  Not a political party .

He is still representing them , and like someone said saving the tax payers. Over half million  pounds in election costs. How many more will leave the Conservative.  Was hopping Suela next .

11 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Er, no.  Imagine how many byelections there'd be in Diane Abbott's constituency.  Frankly he's doing the tax payer a favour given that there'll be a general election very soon anyway.  Despite what he said.

And those wondering whether he'll be re-elected.  I'm going to guess yes.  Yes he will be.

apparently on average it costs 250 to 300,000 quid to run a by-election 

13 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I was a member of the Conservative Party back in the late 1970s and, indeed, was at Nigel Lawson's adoption meeting when he was selected as the candidate for Blaby in Leicestershire. The Tory Party back then wasn't "of the right" it was the party of those, now despised, it seems, by the likes of its present idiot headbangers, of what were known as "one nation Conservatives". I left in in 1987 over the Tory ban, Thatcher, on self-loading rifles. Realising that it had become a party where the individual rights of British people were thought less important than headline grabbing policies to remove the blame from the failures of others whilst appeasing the the shrill voiced. It had begun the journey to the authoritarianism of the small minded and its becoming "the Nasty Party". It was no longer for me.

My view, may be some what jaded is that view is applicable to all politicos?

Personally not sure his joining was good for Reform?

4 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

ok then.

what I would urge you to do is ACTUALLY google (other search engines are available) how many actual MP's are in the same boat as Lee,whip removed or similar and are now Independents etc.

you'll be surprised!

should they all call a by-election?

Absolutely

3 hours ago, johnphilip said:

The Electorate  vote for the person to represent them in Parliament.  Not a political party .

If you say so

On 11/03/2024 at 12:35, Zoli 12 guage said:

the worst kept secret EVER!!!!!!

everybody and their dog knew what he was gonna do 2 weeks since🙄

Exactamont

I was the left hand man for Martin Daubney's campaign to be the Brexit Party nominee MP 

I keep in touch with him on a personal basis 

He reckoned it wouldn't happen 

I've proved him wrong