Rewilding

armsid

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, islandgun said:

Indeed..... and the actual effect on the birds and animals that have evolved to live in the habitat the rewilders wish to change

We have seen the impact on the environment with the mink situation along with the grey squirrels ruddy duck and the Chinese water deer and wild boar 

all be it accidentally released animals 🤔

do the environmental rewilding groups not look at the bigger picture 

not only in this country world wide problems are being addressed by massive culling of animals that are effectively destroying what little we have left 

millions of £££ has been spent eradicating problems that rewilding and reintroduction of animals and flora and fauna 

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

We have seen the impact on the environment with the mink situation along with the grey squirrels ruddy duck and the Chinese water deer and wild boar 

not only in this country world wide problems are being addressed by massive culling of animals that are effectively destroying what little we have left 

millions of £££ has been spent eradicating problems that rewilding and reintroduction of animals and flora and fauna 

When I worked for SNH I suggested introducing red squirrels to the Stornoway woods, my reasoning being that being that on an Island the squirrels would be safe from greys and could be a possible breeding stock for future release [should that be needed] back onto the mainland. The then manager was adamant that that would never happen. his words were along the lines that i was being employed to eradicate the mink and that was one introduction too many and that we can not know any future consequence the red might have...... Imagine the introduction of European Lynx [even though I would love to see one in the wild] what damage they might have on, [for example] Capercaillie if they found them easy prey. There are plenty of potential prey species that are endangered. Its a long term thing with great potential for going wrong and as usual endorsed by packam et al, to a gullible public who will pressure weak government to cave or loose their spot at the trough.

46 minutes ago, islandgun said:

When I worked for SNH I suggested introducing red squirrels to the Stornoway woods, my reasoning being that being that on an Island the squirrels would be safe from greys and could be a possible breeding stock for future release [should that be needed] back onto the mainland. The then manager was adamant that that would never happen. his words were along the lines that i was being employed to eradicate the mink and that was one introduction too many and that we can not know any future consequence the red might have...... Imagine the introduction of European Lynx [even though I would love to see one in the wild] what damage they might have on, [for example] Capercaillie if they found them easy prey. There are plenty of potential prey species that are endangered. Its a long term thing with great potential for going wrong and as usual endorsed by packam et al, to a gullible public who will pressure weak government to cave or loose their spot at the trough.

I’m fortunate No grey squirrel here and only the odd escaped deer 

this whole rewilding thing is going to be like opening Pandora’s box 

3 hours ago, islandgun said:

Just my take?

Beggars the belief of the intellect of some in positions of authority within some advisory bodies relating to conservation?

1 hour ago, old man said:

Just my take?

Beggars the belief of the intellect of some in positions of authority within some advisory bodies relating to conservation?

People can't be bothered, job for life, go with the flow, holidays in the sun.

7 hours ago, Old farrier said:

You never mentioned, rabbits, Sika, and Fallow or the far bigger impact that comes from man. None of the environment that you look at is natural. It is all a product of man's influence.  Rather than millions have been spent eradicating the problems of rewilding it would be more accurate to say billions have been spent trying to undo the problems caused by man. 

49 minutes ago, oowee said:

You never mentioned, rabbits, Sika, and Fallow or the far bigger impact that comes from man. None of the environment that you look at is natural. It is all a product of man's influence.  Rather than millions have been spent eradicating the problems of rewilding it would be more accurate to say billions have been spent trying to undo the problems caused by man. 

I never mentioned coypue sea eagles or beavers either 

but as you mentioned man is there a plan to reintroduce them 🤔this time with a little common sense 😂

The biggest problem I see and one that never gets mentioned, is the massive over population of humans, I'm all for rewinding, but that could only come after the UK's population was at least cut in half, more so near to the areas that were to be rewilded.

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

The biggest problem I see and one that never gets mentioned, is the massive over population of humans, I'm all for rewinding, but that could only come after the UK's population was at least cut in half, more so near to the areas that were to be rewilded.

Would that be voluntary euthanasia and will you be first in the queue 😁

4 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

On what basis are we overpopulated? 

Seems to me we will have vast swathes of upland to do something with once the sheep are gone. 

18 minutes ago, oowee said:

On what basis are we overpopulated? 

Seems to me we will have vast swathes of upland to do something with once the sheep are gone. 

Birth rate falling across the western world, too, which is a concern.

3 hours ago, islandgun said:

Would that be voluntary euthanasia and will you be first in the queue 😁

They tried it with covid and the jabs

Now see huge increases in cancer 

40 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Err why are the sheep gone

We have to do Trade deals around the world following Brexit one of those is the new agreement with AUS. 

Sheep farming will become largely unsustainable without grant aid as we move further into the new FTA. Imports are currently increasing and limits on those imports are scheduled to be further removed. UK farm subsidies are moving from direct to environmental which makes sheep farming even less attractive.  It will likely result in reduced food prices that was a key benefit of Brexit. 

It provides an opportunity to ditch sheep farming and move to other more profitable environment based activity. 

It's a win win. Cheaper food, more emphasis on environmental protection. 

6 minutes ago, oowee said:

It's a win win. Cheaper food, more emphasis on environmental protection

This is a short term strategy. It’s the same as letting the supermarkets and internet suppliers dominate our shopping habits. Cheap at first, kill the competition then it’s pay back. Our farmland will no longer be for producing food but will be very profitable for those involved in carbon offset etc, it’s a modern land grab. Why not fast forward and let the likes of Bill Gates and his friends produce our sustenance in their labs! We know it makes sense for the planet. 😏

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

We have to do Trade deals around the world following Brexit one of those is the new agreement with AUS. 

Sheep farming will become largely unsustainable without grant aid as we move further into the new FTA. Imports are currently increasing and limits on those imports are scheduled to be further removed. UK farm subsidies are moving from direct to environmental which makes sheep farming even less attractive.  It will likely result in reduced food prices that was a key benefit of Brexit. 

It provides an opportunity to ditch sheep farming and move to other more profitable environment based activity. 

It's a win win. Cheaper food, more emphasis on environmental protection. 

Wonderful. Your vision of the future of Britain is based on your hatred of Brexit. Our food imported, A landscaped upland devoid of natural wildlife, cleared of people that live and work there. An upland of windfarms and planted with trees that wont survive, Lots of themed "centre parks" holiday resorts to enable the rich to watch the latest carnivore introduction being fed with cheap Australian lamb. What a vision ! Im glad I will have kicked the bucket long before you get your way.

13 minutes ago, Down South said:

This is a short term strategy. It’s the same as letting the supermarkets and internet suppliers dominate our shopping habits. Cheap at first, kill the competition then it’s pay back. Our farmland will no longer be for producing food but will be very profitable for those involved in carbon offset etc, it’s a modern land grab. Why not fast forward and let the likes of Bill Gates and his friends produce our sustenance in their labs! We know it makes sense for the planet. 😏

Spot on

17 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Wonderful. Your vision of the future of Britain is based on your hatred of Brexit. Our food imported, A landscaped upland devoid of natural wildlife, cleared of people that live and work there. An upland of windfarms and planted with trees that wont survive, Lots of themed "centre parks" holiday resorts to enable the rich to watch the latest carnivore introduction being fed with cheap Australian lamb. What a vision ! Im glad I will have kicked the bucket long before you get your way.

Spot on

I never voted for it. Maybe a question for those that did?  

31 minutes ago, Down South said:

Agreed it's a nonsense. It will get worse of course as we have to agree trade deals with the US. The runt of a litter often draws the short straw. That said we can look for other ways to do things, starting with farming and the environment.