Decent steel shot cartridge for pigeons

Hi guessing this may have been done a good few times and I have typed in the search bar ‘ recommend steel shot cartridge for pigeon’ . But ended up with over 300,000 posts but none tat actually seemed to relate to that. So any recommendations for a good cartridge and shot size for decoying. Haven’t used steel yet but farmer at back of where I live started drilling barley today so I’m expecting to have some decent shooting in a few days🤞🏻. Want to use steel as there is a pair of buzzards that have nested here last few years and there is also a pair of kites here now . So if I do get any pigeons that fly off and I can’t get as sometimes happens I can rest easy that if the buzzards or kites do find them I have no worries. Also are the any now that have fibre wads or similar? Thanks for any help👍

Thanks for that , but picking up the wad could be a bit awkward as it’s being direct drilled into yellow mustard that was planted and sprayed off as a soil improver also barely stubble from previous year . So won’t be as easy to find as on normal drilled field.

7 minutes ago, B686 said:

Thanks for that , but picking up the wad could be a bit awkward as it’s being direct drilled into yellow mustard that was planted and sprayed off as a soil improver also barely stubble from previous year . So won’t be as easy to find as on normal drilled field.

👍

11 hours ago, B686 said:

I haven’t used on pigeon but very happy with Eley Ecosteel on pheasant so you don’t have to worry about wads

I also like 5s for wood pigeons but my current preference for a cartridge is the Jocker cardboard wad no 4 steel. They pattern so well that even the 27 gram loads are very capable. There was a lad on here or on Facebook recently selling discounted by the thousand. Just Cartridges usually have them as well.

On 27/03/2024 at 21:05, bunny_blaster said:

I’ve shot most steel cartridges on the market on pigeons and now my go to cartridge is the RC 24g 6’s. I’ve killed some seriously tall and long pigeons with them. Another good cartridge is the Bioammo 28g 7’s and the lylvale 28g 5

A 24gm steel 6 sounds perfect to me.

On 29/03/2024 at 10:11, Westley said:

The shooting organisations seem to recommend Bismuth shot and fibre wads  !   🙄

Presume that is a tongue in cheek comment? Which organisation did you get that from please? There are various options for various gauges.

BASC has published a list of alternative shotgun cartridges on the market on its website here:

https://basc.org.uk/download/358749/?tmstv=1685980747

1 hour ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Presume that is a tongue in cheek comment? Which organisation did you get that from please? There are various options for various gauges.

BASC has published a list of alternative shotgun cartridges on the market on its website here:

https://basc.org.uk/download/358749/?tmstv=1685980747

It was quoted to me by a representative on the BASC stand at last years Game Fair. I had asked about my best course of action for using 'alternative ' shot through my 100 years old Westley Richards, which left the makers bored I/C & 3/4 chokes and with 2 1/2"  chambers. As I have all but given up game shooting now, it is irrelevant anyway. I shall simply use it for growing runner beans up  !

14 hours ago, Westley said:

It was quoted to me by a representative on the BASC stand at last years Game Fair. I had asked about my best course of action for using 'alternative ' shot through my 100 years old Westley Richards, which left the makers bored I/C & 3/4 chokes and with 2 1/2"  chambers. As I have all but given up game shooting now, it is irrelevant anyway. I shall simply use it for growing runner beans up  !

2!st century version of, 'Rest on on your arms. Reverse'. :sad1:

On 06/04/2024 at 21:11, Westley said:

Thanks for clarifying that. So your assertion that "The shooting organisations seem to recommend Bismuth shot and fibre wads" was a bit misleading. What happened was that you got specific advice for your gun, having sought out that advice at the BASC stand at last year's Game Fair. 

Connor, that may have been specific advice for my gun, but I have read several articles in the shooting press, and I'm sure that you have too, where Representatives of various shooting bodies have advocated Bismuth loaded cartridges for older guns. Usually accompanied by "but you don't shoot that many cartridges on a game day", in an effort to justify paying their ridiculous price. I have used 'Bismuth ' cartridges in my gun, and quite frankly, I thought they were rubbish. I was bringing stuff down on a 'wing and a prayer', which I know I would have killed cleanly with lead. I even had someone ask how old the cartridges were  ?   It would appear that the 'earlier' Bismuth shot was too hard and therefore not killing cleanly. So, how hard is steel then  ? I am thankful that my shooting career of over 65 years is coming to an end, and as a Life Member of BASC,  I have to say I have been bitterly disappointed with some of actions or lack of, in the latter years. We have already agreed to disagree in previous posts and this looks like another.

Edited by Westley

3 hours ago, Westley said:

Connor, that may have been specific advice for my gun, but I have read several articles in the shooting press, and I'm sure that you have too, where Representatives of various shooting bodies have advocated Bismuth loaded cartridges for older guns. Usually accompanied by "but you don't shoot that many cartridges on a game day", in an effort to justify paying their ridiculous price. I have used 'Bismuth ' cartridges in my gun, and quite frankly, I thought they were rubbish. I was bringing stuff down on a 'wing and a prayer', which I know I would have killed cleanly with lead. I even had someone ask how old the cartridges were  ?   It would appear that the 'earlier' Bismuth shot was too hard and therefore not killing cleanly. So, how hard is steel then  ? I am thankful that my shooting career of over 65 years is coming to an end, and as a Life Member of BASC,  I have to say I have been bitterly disappointed with some of actions or lack of, in the latter years. We have already agreed to disagree in previous posts and this looks like another.

Sorry you feel like that and particularly given your life membership you could perhaps put pen to paper and write to the editor of BASC magazine or the BASC CEO or Chairman at BASC HQ postal address outlining whatever those concerns are? And vote in the BASC elections - maybe contacting some of the candidates first? And attend the next AGM and ask your questions there?

If you don't like using bismuth maybe try an appropriate load of steel? See the following advice:

https://basc.org.uk/ammunition/moving-away-from-lead/

Pigeons finally found the drilled barley , so took a day off and got over and set up by 11.30 . Put out just my magnet with two dead birds from the freezer pigeons started dropping in straight away stopped shooting by 4.30. Picked up 81 for 107 shots. First time using bioammo blue . Honestly say I didn’t notice the difference from what I would normally use which were clear pigeon 30gm 6 fibre wads . 

IMG_1721.jpeg

32 minutes ago, B686 said:

Pigeons finally found the drilled barley , so took a day off and got over and set up by 11.30 . Put out just my magnet with two dead birds from the freezer pigeons started dropping in straight away stopped shooting by 4.30. Picked up 81 for 107 shots. First time using bioammo blue . Honestly say I didn’t notice the difference from what I would normally use which were clear pigeon 30gm 6 fibre wads . 

IMG_1721.jpeg

Have you a Game Dealer to take them?

Luckily I know a few people I can give them away to. Used to take them to Ben rigby but they don’t take them anymore. They did give me the number of someone in Tiptree who they said takes them but it’s easier to give them away. Will give this person a ring if I get anymore though. 

2 minutes ago, B686 said:

Luckily I know a few people I can give them away to. Used to take them to Ben rigby but they don’t take them anymore. They did give me the number of someone in Tiptree who they said takes them but it’s easier to give them away. Will give this person a ring if I get anymore though. 

Good to see them used, we used to sell to two pubs dressed but they have changed hands and now only buy commercially.  No Game Dealers round here so I have stopped shooting them as I refuse to throw them in a ditch.