Holts

I have been looking at some of the guns for auction in holts sealed bid on the 11th April.  I'm not really sure how the whole process works but I think I have the jist of it. Most of the guns seem to be brilliant value.  Several hundred sxs between sidelock,  Boxlock, ejector,non ejector , etc.. not to mention all the other type of guns and equipment.  Have any of you went the process and bought a gun through holts??

Biught a few - Simple process, they send you an invoice, you send your SGC and arrange dispatch to a suitable RFD (or collect?) If you ask nicely they will take your purchase to a Valuation Day near you

I usually buy from the sealed bid auction several times a year. Its a simple process, register with them, pick a lot or lots and place a bid. Bear in mind that the estimates can be quite low and that commission is 25% when deciding on the bid you want to place. Whilst I regularly get some bargains within the estimates, I will place a bid at what I think its worth to me. They can be very helpful about collection and will, if you ask, take the gun to one of their Valuation days if its nearer to home for you. Alternatively they will RFD it for you. Unless you can get down there for an inspection of your chosen lot you are buying blind but thats the fun of auctions.

Remember it is sold as seen with ALL faults. So even if the fault is not mentioned in the description you've bought it. The problem with buying at distance is that travelling to view may well then make the cost of what you buy expensive. OTOH if you take a risk you can do well. I bought this at Holt's last sale in 2023...sight unseen....it only needed a screw to re-affix the "loose fore-end". But as bought unseen it could have been a major issue as to why the fore-end was loose. Anyway got this a folding .410" with a top lever and a tang safety for £6.00 plus commission. The screw cost me £1 from a hardware store in Leicester as I hadn't any the correct size in my house. But I've also bought a minger or two once or twice. Not often but certainly am wise enough to now it's "buyer be aware" if not ever "buyer beware".

200366.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares

On 01/04/2024 at 21:11, BobbyH said:

Can you see what your bidding on before bidding?

im interested in how to join/bid 

Yes you can ring up and make an appointment to go and see what you are interested in. They also have an open viewing the weekend before the auction. They have two types of auction, the first runs for two days and you can go there and bid in the traditional way or you can book a telephone bid or bid on the internet. The second auction has a closing date a couple of weeks after the first and is a sealed bid ie. you offer what you think via their web site and the lower guide price is normally the starting price. Bear in mind that what you offer has about another 30% on top with commission etc. so it’s not so cheap as it first appears.

1 hour ago, Krico woodcock said:

I'm following and tracking some guns in colts auction,  tomorrow. There seems to be hardly any bids on the guns.  Is this normal, do people bid last minute or is no interest in the guns? 

The one that finishes tomorrow is a sealed bid auction you cant see what or if any bids ,prices will be published after the auction.

2 minutes ago, holloway said:

The one that finishes tomorrow is a sealed bid auction you cant see what or if any bids ,prices will be published after the auction.

Mmm. I definitely am not accustomed to how the sealed bid process works.  But to me you can see if someone has put in a bid. Or maybe I'm looking at the thing completely wrong.  I only registered with holts a week ago.. all very new to me.

Screenshot_20240410-153411_Chrome.jpg

36 minutes ago, Krico woodcock said:

Mmm. I definitely am not accustomed to how the sealed bid process works.  But to me you can see if someone has put in a bid. Or maybe I'm looking at the thing completely wrong.  I only registered with holts a week ago.. all very new to me.

Screenshot_20240410-153411_Chrome.jpg

That's the unsold lots from the last auction

There's two auctions.

The Sealed Bid where as another PM Member has said the bids are unknown to you until the results are announced and what you bid (if it wins) is what you pay regardless of any bids on that same lot. Therefore of Lot XYZ is valued at a mere £10 but you make a sealed bid of £100 and someone else a sealed bid of £10 you get it for your bod amount....£100. You do not get it for £11! So be careful.

The other auction is a conventional "you see what someone else has bid" type auction albeit not in a saleroom and not over two or three hours but online. That's more perhaps like eBay and Southam's online Newnham Street Sale. The problem with a Sealed Bid format is there's no second chance. When the auction ends it ends and there's no ability to say "Damn and blast that only made £10 if I'd have known I;d have bid £11. So there it is.

Edited by enfieldspares

9 minutes ago, holloway said:

sorry i had assumed you were looking at the sealed bid 👍

I was looking at the sealed bid.  The first couple of sxs in boxlock ejector section are nice webley and scotts,  and that's what comes up that there are bids on them,  same some sidelock have same.  But 90% of the guns I looked at dont.I put a cheeky bid on a sxs. Well see tomorrow if it comes up trumps 🙂

14 minutes ago, Krico woodcock said:

I was looking at the sealed bid.  The first couple of sxs in boxlock ejector section are nice webley and scotts,  and that's what comes up that there are bids on them,  same some sidelock have same.  But 90% of the guns I looked at dont.I put a cheeky bid on a sxs. Well see tomorrow if it comes up trumps 🙂

sorry but if you can see any bids its definitely not the sealed bid auction .

22 minutes ago, farmer7 said:

How long until you hear if you won an item in the sealed bid? Or do you just not hear anything if you haven't won?

if you have won you will be notified by email ,if you were unsuccessful you don't hear anything ,the realised prices will be published in a day or so. 

15 minutes ago, holloway said:

if you have won you will be notified by email ,if you were unsuccessful you don't hear anything ,the realised prices will be published in a day or so. 

Thanks for that, obviously didn't put enough on any of my bids then! 

15 minutes ago, farmer7 said:

Thanks for that, obviously didn't put enough on any of my bids then! 

They have to process thousands of lots so you will have to wait a little while to be sure ,i wouldnt give up yet its a little early.

I found out on Friday I was successful on my bid but in the last sealed bid auction it was a few days after in which time I bought another gun thinking I hadn’t been successful 😂

some great bargain by the look of the realised price list!