Smoker Build

2 hours ago, Jonty said:

I haven’t - but I have thought about it.  You often get warping when you cut the lid out as it springs slightly, I was lucky but then did warp it accidentally by putting too much tension on the salt bar I used as a door seal.  Fortunately a ratchet strap and some swearing sorted that out.  I’ll be doing a test burn soon and will be looking/listenimgnout for any movement etc.  Ideally, the cook chamber will be at around 110c to 150c max(occasionally) during use so it’s not going to be screamingly hot.

that temp is not too bad ...i rekon you will be fine ......sounds ike a plan :good:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I made a start on the cooking grates yesterday.  There’s two of them to make it easier to get them in and out of the cook chamber.  They’re 20mm angle made into a square(ish - have you seen my welding 😀) frame and then 6mm round bar tacked in to form the grate.  I also got the initial assembly of the cook chamber handle done.  Obviously I’ve sat it on top of the cook chamber to take a picture, but it will actually sit low down on the door with the actual handle lower still.  The aim is that you can lift the door in a single motion without catching your forearm on the hot metal door.  I’m recycling horseshoes wherever I can on this.  I’m not a horsey person but my wife is - and using the shoes is buying me a hell of a lot of grief free quality shed time.

A659A460-8203-40CB-A897-BF9FEF07E029.jpeg

935B0070-4B67-4E3F-A189-848ADF6C9AAE.jpeg

092144F9-74D8-4D9A-A7B6-E49D80A1D3C7.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, he’s (Ivor) up and running!  I seasoned it the other day, as you would a cast iron pan- got it screamingly hot and sprayed the inside with oil until it became almost non stick… I couldn’t resist roasting a chicken in there whilst I was doing it, which was very nice.  But Saturday was the big day to fire it up and see how it worked out.  The key to good smoked BBQ is low and slow - cooking at around 110C… I have to say I have some lessons to learn regarding fine tuning, but it was pretty easy to control the temps - I could run it at 110-120 and crank it up to 170 faintly easily.  I did a test run with some ribs , spicy stuffed mushrooms and (dare I say it) smoked bbq tofu (for my veggie daughter).  It all turned out really well, I’m over the moon and looking forward to some more adventurous cooks next.

0BD07167-BAEB-4BE1-96BC-EB5633F95047.jpeg

3FB2F149-FAA6-45E1-9B3E-A9F82514DB65.jpeg

C5224B11-C90C-449A-899C-F6A1EC8C7620.jpeg

I have enjoyed this thread and to see it in action is brilliant.

Many thanks for taking us through the trials and tribulations during manufacture.

Many happy hours ahead methinks.

OB

That looks bloody amazing....... when you want to build the mark 2 version and need to get rid of this to make space, I may have a small area it could rest in 🤣