Ammo safe packed in!

The ammo cabinet lock seems to have gone out of alignment and the key won’t work. 

Keypad never worked since I had it. 

Any big tips to open it before I get a grinder out? 

Ifs full of ammo, some watches and odd bits. 

AEDF287D-618D-4F53-A1BF-A9EC84EDB6FD.jpeg

38DCA109-4396-4E5A-A591-0CBAE87EF896.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Windswept said:

If you have a spare key try that. A spray of lubricating oil in the lock might also help. 

Tried both,  neither work. 

12 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Call  a lock Smith,  cheaper, and safer in the long run.

I did, said be a nightmare to “unpick” if the barrel has become misaligned or similar. 

Just now, steve_b_wales said:

I had a similar one which developed the same fault. I was told to give the top( just above the handle) a good few 'thumps', which I did, and it worked. I got rid of it straight after and bought a proper one.

Have tried that initially and no luck but will try again tomorrow when I don’t have a sleeping baby upstairs. 

Hit the top whilst tension on the handle I was told. 

you can see where it needs to be, its out of alignment by about 45 degrees, that line up hole will match a grove in the key on the outer ring, im suprized you got the key out tbh theyre designed to not be able to come out unless lined up with the entry point.

the fix is easy, grind or file the forward most bit off the key that usually enters the slot, will just mean that the lock will be a touch more fiddly in future but i imagine once youre in youll be changing that barrel out if its starting to play up

Edited by Sweet11-87

8 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

you can see where it needs to be, its out of alignment by about 45 degrees, that line up hole will match a grove in the key on the outer ring, im suprized you got the key out tbh theyre designed to not be able to come out unless lined up with the entry point.

the fix is easy, grind or file the forward most bit off the key that usually enters the slot, will just mean that the lock will be a touch more fiddly in future but i imagine once youre in youll be changing that barrel out if its starting to play up

I’ll give that a try, cheers. 

Yes once opened it’ll be scrapped. 

10 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

Not sure its that simple as the cutaways on the outside of the key need to line up with the pins in the lock barrel, if it were that simple I am sure the locksmith would have suggested it.

Morning all  these safes have a rather easy solenoid holding the lock pins into the keeps some heavy duty thumps on the top whilst turning the handle and keeping pressure on should pop it open  sorry all but watch you tube and see how they can be opened

12 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

The ammo cabinet lock seems to have gone out of alignment and the key won’t work. 

Keypad never worked since I had it. 

Any big tips to open it before I get a grinder out? 

Ifs full of ammo, some watches and odd bits. 

AEDF287D-618D-4F53-A1BF-A9EC84EDB6FD.jpeg

38DCA109-4396-4E5A-A591-0CBAE87EF896.jpeg

Hi Lloyd, watch the YouTube video below in the photo shot.

I have a similar ammo cabinet, and the video makes you think about owning one👍

IMG_2520.png

12 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

You sir, are the hero of the day!!! 

15 seconds with a file, and it worked like a dream!!! 

I owe you a pint my friend :) 

Thank you kindly! 

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Not sure its that simple as the cutaways on the outside of the key need to line up with the pins in the lock barrel, if it were that simple I am sure the locksmith would have suggested it.

I filed the key, used it to rotate the cylinder back where it should have been; took key out, put it back in so it engages all the lines, and wallah!

1 hour ago, Sam walsh said:

Morning all  these safes have a rather easy solenoid holding the lock pins into the keeps some heavy duty thumps on the top whilst turning the handle and keeping pressure on should pop it open  sorry all but watch you tube and see how they can be opened

Tried that, even with a rubber hammer, don’t work at all. 

35 minutes ago, old'un said:

Looking at this video it does seem the way to get into these safes is fairly easy.

That’s the video the lock smith sent me 🤣 don’t work on mine but thankfully the file did the trick! 

Now to replace the bloody thing. 

4 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

You sir, are the hero of the day!!! 

15 seconds with a file, and it worked like a dream!!! 

I owe you a pint my friend  

Thank you kindly! 

......but it wasnt that simple otherwise a locksmith whos not at all trying to stay relevant or make a living would have suggested it!.

only joking old'un.    lloyd glad i could help mate :)

someone sticky this thread most ammo safes have these locks and theyre naff

Edited by Sweet11-87

26 minutes ago, Sweet11-87 said:

......but it wasnt that simple otherwise a locksmith whos not at all trying to stay relevant or make a living would have suggested it!.

only joking old'un.    lloyd glad i could help mate

someone sticky this thread most ammo safes have these locks and theyre naff

To be fair the locksmith was a mate and wasn’t looking to charge :) 

30 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

To be fair the locksmith was a mate and wasn’t looking to charge :) 

tell him he needs a new trade then haha. ofcourse im only joking, im from up north  getting into locks without keys or into locks somones tried to force is just part of the culture :D

Edited by Sweet11-87

On 11/06/2024 at 10:35, Lloyd90 said:

Now to replace the bloody thing. 

I had the same problem with my one.

When opened I just fitted a lock hasp with rivets and now continue to use  it as a second "overflow" safe.

hasp.jpg

20240615_085717829_iOS.jpg

On 15/06/2024 at 10:03, J.R. said:

I had the same problem with my one.

When opened I just fitted a lock hasp with rivets and now continue to use  it as a second "overflow" safe.

hasp.jpg

20240615_085717829_iOS.jpg

Turns out the lock didn’t fail. 

I was shooting one of my airguns in the garden, (so I had the keys to the gun cabinet with me)… and left my house keys in the small safe (which I usually use for the cabinet keys, a few watches etc). 

My wife wanted my house keys for something so yanked the key out of the safe without rotating it back to its original spot… 

Not sure if it’s worth risking any further issues though so I’ve just bought a replacement.