The Never Ending Disappearing Pubs .

marsh man

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, B686 said:

Lots of pubs spent a lot of money on smoking areas outside for customers what a waste of money that was now. Stupid law. Just another nail in the coffin for pubs.

I think it was a great law (non smoker).

whenever you went out you came home reeking of cigarettes.

Worse again in restaurants 🤢

Now you can get up the next day and your clothes don’t smell of cigarettes and you can have a meal out and not taste the smoke and tobacco.

I don’t think the ban had anything to do with the demise of pubs, when did you last see an empty wetherspoons on benefits day or any other day to be fair.

:shaun:

12 hours ago, oowee said:

There are two with the same name. The one in Compton Martin is a favourite. 👍

That's the one I was reffering to; a decent pub. Most likely be in there at the end of October/begining of November when pike fishing on Chew. Staying in the village.

They are turning pups into CO -OP's round my way and they are doing more trade than the pubs ever did !

they  can shut the lot for me ,stinking claggy mats and bad mannered staff ! nar let em  close I'll get my boze from the supper market and drink in comfort with those I chose not some gob **** who thinks I how him  a living !

10 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

whenever you went out you came home reeking of cigarettes.

Worse again in restaurants 🤢

Now you can get up the next day and your clothes don’t smell of cigarettes and you can have a meal out and not taste the smoke and tobacco.

I don’t think the ban had anything to do with the demise of pubs, when did you last see an empty wetherspoons on benefits day or any other day to be fair.

I think it was a good move banning smoking in pubs and restaurants and I was a smoker. I’m on about areas outside that were for smokers. 
I’m non smoker now gave up this January.

Edited by B686

5 hours ago, Penelope said:

That's the one I was reffering to; a decent pub. Most likely be in there at the end of October/begining of November when pike fishing on Chew. Staying in the village.

😁 give us a call meet up for a beer would be good. 

On 16/09/2024 at 20:42, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes, very sad, been going on for a long time because the brewery's that own the pubs are GREEDY.

Oh and I hate to walk up to a pub and run the gauntlet of those inconsiderate few who smoke at the door.

Weatherspoons, the best pubs ever, try one for the best ales and prices.

On 17/09/2024 at 23:34, shaun4860 said:

22 hours ago, B686 said:

I think it was a good move banning smoking in pubs and restaurants and I was a smoker.

It was of course neither.  It is a terrible law, rigidly enforced and the hospitality trade suffered as a result.

Many other countries allowed venues to retain indoor smoking places with adequate ventilation; that staff don't even have to enter if they don't wish (at least until the HVAC as performed sufficient air changes), but oh no, in the UK we had to have the worst of all worlds, ban it all, and ban it over night.

Am a lifelong non-smoker, BTW.

22 hours ago, dainty duck said:

they  can shut the lot for me ,stinking claggy mats and bad mannered staff ! nar let em  close I'll get my boze from the supper market and drink in comfort with those I chose not some gob **** who thinks I how him  a living !

Sounds remarkably like you went to the wrong type of pub.

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

It was of course neither.  It is a terrible law, rigidly enforced and the hospitality trade suffered as a result.

Many other countries allowed venues to retain indoor smoking places with adequate ventilation; that staff don't even have to enter if they don't wish (at least until the HVAC as performed sufficient air changes), but oh no, in the UK we had to have the worst of all worlds, ban it all, and ban it over night.

Am a lifelong non-smoker, BTW.

Sounds remarkably like you went to the wrong type of pub.

Its my choice , the pubs these days are nowt like they used to be .

3 hours ago, samboy said:

£6.50 for a pint.

My god that's a box of cartridges!  Clay or pigeon carts admittedly.  Can probably make a pint last longer than 25 shots at Mendip.  

11 hours ago, dainty duck said:

the pubs these days are nowt like they used to be .

Ridiculous assertion.  Unless you liked peeling wallpaper, stench of fags and an epilepsy-inducing fruit machine and pints tasting of vinegar.  Unlike a lot of posters on here, I haven't made it to a half century yet; but in my lifetime the pubs that have survived have upped their game, on the whole.

10 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

My god that's a box of cartridges!  Clay or pigeon carts admittedly.  Can probably make a pint last longer than 25 shots at Mendip.  

Ridiculous assertion.  Unless you liked peeling wallpaper, stench of fags and an epilepsy-inducing fruit machine and pints tasting of vinegar.  Unlike a lot of posters on here, I haven't made it to a half century yet; but in my lifetime the pubs that have survived have upped their game, on the whole.

well wait till you do reach 50 before trying to belittle people !

leave it there and don't try to get me into a contest to see who can urinate the furthest , I'll bid you ado !