Ruger 10/22 or CZ452?? Your thoughts?

Jaminzx7r

Got my FAC application in and being processed for a 0.22LR, just wondered what current option was on the 2 rifles i've got my eye on.

Considering a Ruger 10/22 or CZ452

100 acres permission with lots of bunnies and rats to shoot. Appreciate one is a semi and other is bolt action. Have read some people consider bolt actions to be more accurate and more reliable but the ruger seems to have a bit of a cult following.

Any advice info much appreciated.

In a way your comparing apples and pears being bolt v's semi-auto.

Personally on the whole I prefer bolt actions, but if given the option of those two rifles only I would go for the Ruger - if simply for better build, more options (friend of mine had a short carbon fibre bull barrel - v.nice!), and possibly in the long run - better continued availability of parts (not that either will break - but you never know when you'll lose a mag etc).

The only downside to the Ruger is that they can be fussy with ammo, but that said I have also heard of CZ's being fussy with ammo - but no doubt this will be less than the Ruger as it's a bolt action. I would live with this though as generally once you've found an acceptable type of ammo you stick with it - hence the problem disappears.

Your right there is a bit of a Ruger cult following...with good reasons, they are very good rifles - but the main reason is the customisation you can do to the rifle.

CZ's have a following, but it's not the same - generally people rave about them as they are cheap, cheerful and good workhorses you don't have to care over too much...but like I said recently, they are the most exciting gun in the cabinet.

Just one man's opinon.

Got my FAC application in and being processed for a 0.22LR, just wondered what current option was on the 2 rifles i've got my eye on.

Considering a Ruger 10/22

If you have the patiance and a bit of know how this is an absolute brilliant little rifle :lol::lol: ...........But for serious pest control I'd go for a bolt action :lol:

Considering a Ruger 10/22

If you have the patiance and a bit of know how this is an absolute brilliant little rifle :lol::lol: ...........But for serious pest control I'd go for a bolt action :lol:

hi

i own a 10/22 and use eley subs.I have had one missfire since i bought it second hand and since i cleaned the mag and do so frequently I have never had another.

I use it now with NVS and put my misses down to lack of knowledge with the NVS

I think it is a great gun but thats just my opinion.

I also use a .17 HMR Sako Quad but thats a different story.

Hogey

Funny that Deadeye, as I would say the opposite, for serious pest control I would always go for a semi due to the fast reloading. A bolt action though is perfectly adequate for pest control, just not 'serious' pest control where you might want to take you second shoot asap.

I'm hopefully going to be facing the same sort of quandry very soon and have already made my mind up about which of the two I would go for... Held them both at Donaldsons (and numerous other places) and decided to go with the CZ452. It just fits better and feels nicer.

I also like bolt actions more...

A semi will let you down sooner or later, Ive (and all the others) are right, forget about them get a bolt gun for pest control.

I will upload a picture of 3 rabbits shot dead with a b/a no more than 10feet away from each other if you need any more convicing.

Don't get me wrong SP I know where your coming from (I too prefer bolts), but all I'm saying is that I think you'd get more of those situations (or even more rabbits) with a semi. Esp. when it comes to rats. By looking after, and knowling the limitations of the ammo etc, a 10/22 (note: I didn't say 'a semi') shouldn't let you down any more than a bolt action - it's just a case of knowing your gun IMO.

- it's just a case of knowing your gun IMO.

I'd go along with this,i use an Erma M1 copy for targets and rabbits.I'm slowly finding out how much or little oil it likes,what ammo it likes,played about with spring now i'm just about there.Okay it's been a bit of a pain but when it's on song there's nothing like it.

OK this is my view on the issue, based on what I have done and seen, there are of course many others.

10/22's or any semi's are great fun, I would never own one but my mate has one that was shot by many members at the PW Bisley bash.

That one is now 100% sorted, reliable and pretty accurate, but it was a project gun and took a good £300+ over the cost of the gun to get it there.

The owner has a cut down cz452 as well, so has the option of the ruger or the cz - he uses the cz uses for rabbiting.

I have shot quite a few rabbits, I accept loads of people have shot many more than me, but my point is I have never found myself in a situation where I would have shot more using a semi.

This shooting thing is all about confidence and as long as you are 100% confident in your clobber you should be able to shoot well with it.

Cz all the way especially if your only starting out they accurate and reliable and cant be beatin on price.

For the amount of money it would cost to get a 10/22 shooting the same as a cz and as reliable you could prob buy a anschutz sako or some of the really good rimmys

:stupid: :stupid:

I've had two Rugers (yes, some never learn). Both drove me absolutely nuts with misfeeds. Spent loadsamoney on the 2nd, and eventually gave up in disgust.

The magazine design is inherently wrong for a rimfire, which is a dirty round. Far too complicated and a pig to clean.

If you have a good one then count your blessings - it's one of the few.

Don

All the bolt on bits/mods and speed of the semi first caught my interest.

However, I've shot a B/A with a friend before (think it was a winchester) and have to agree in my limited experience I've not really ever missed anything cos it ran away whilst I was reloading. Appreciated rats my change this but when shooting with my shotty they're stupid enough to come back out of their holes fairly soon after bolting down them.

I dont like the fact that a jam seems an almost certainty with the ruger, I want to shoot it, not have that niggle in the back of my mind waiting for the next jam and mess about sorting it out. Same reason I bought an old beretta 303 instead of a new hatsan. my 303 has never missed a beat, my mates hatsan has jammed more then a few times.

Looks like my mind's made up, just the next question..... which CZ452? :stupid:

Will have to go handle a few and get a feal.

The magazine design is inherently wrong for a rimfire, which is a dirty round. Far too complicated and a pig to clean.

:stupid:

The achilles heal of the 10/22 ......

Now to get the 10/22 to be more reliable you don't have to spend alot of money especially if your handy with a needle file.........Having done all the modifications I lost count the amount of times I snuck into range of a Rabbit on red alert only to get the dead mans click when pulling the trigger . :stupid:

Put 8000 rds through mine and it's 100% entertainment :yes:

CZ every time.

i have seen 3 10/22's being put through their paces ( both of dons and our old shooting buddies ) All were chuffing unreliable.

Shot lots of rabbits with the old bolt action and never thought i needed a semi to increase the bag.

The bag that you need to carry your kills is as big as a fleas **** :stupid: :stupid:

Don