Legal question.......

Evil Elvis

:oops: I have an 11 year old english pointer, she is senile, has cataracts and has some dodgy looking tumours growing on 2 of her teats.

She has been a fantastic dog over the years but now has taken to growling continuously at the other pointer and my jack and she keeps kicking off at them both, the younger pointer looks like she has been shot in the face she has that many puncture wounds, even though we are trying our hardest to keep them separated.

My kids are getting distressed by it and i got bitten separating them on the weekend. Broken skin only slight but huge bruise, these are powerful dogs. Im now frightened for the welfare of my children, my wife is adamant that she wont have her put down.

They kicked off again tonight and the excuse she used is that we cant afford to price of her being put down and disposed of.

I have had enough. Is there any law that says i cant take her for " one last hunt" and not come back with her, if you know what I mean. I have the necessary tools available, it would be swift and humane, but is it legal? I would bury her on one of my permission and not actually do the deed myself. :good:

That's a really tough call, I'm sorry to hear of your problem! I guess that if a dog is worrying livestock it can be shot, and the only risk involved in that situation as far as I'm aware is the owner kicking off about it. Maybe that's a route you could take? I'm no legal expert though, so it's just an idea of how to bend the rules to get the job done (assuming you need to?).

:good::oops: She has to go, one of my kids is still dinky and she is face height to the dog, I dont want to wait until she is hurt to say i told you so to Lisa :oops:

Lisa is a devout animal lover and gets upset if shes sees me killing rats for the snakes. I have many friends with large enough calibre rifles to do the job, I have .22 myself but I couldnt do it. :lol:

I have known people who have done it, but I don't know if its legal, or not.

If you can prove that you didn't cause any suffering, then I can't see how it can be illegal, as long as all other safety aspects are observed.

It does sound as though she is ill and in some discomfort, which is why you have the massive change in temprament.

If I was in your shoes. I would take that last walk with her.

Blummin nightmare mate.

I have seen the damage from some of the previous scraps.

I think you are right that at that age, with poor health and with the recent attacks re-homing isn't likely to be an option. It sounds like she is either in pain or is being affected by the cancer - after 11 years to start heavy scrapping is not good.

I hope someone here comes up with an idea or two.

legally you are allowed to do the deed yourself as long as you use the means to do a professional job so the animal doesnt suffer, however the legal **** comes in when it comes to burying the dog, on our place even if a chicken or a horse dies we arent allowed to bury it , it has to be cremated.but to be honest in a situation like this you need to do the best thing for you and the dog, just find a nice spot and do it, i know i would. :/

funnily enough I would say technically doing it with the rifle would be contrary to conditions on your ticket as she won't be vermin or anything else written on it. Obviously there is a low chance of being found out or having a problem unless and this is the biggie were your other half to object and found out you'd done it it wouldn't look too hot if she complained.

As an aside it won't cost much to have her put down properly, if things are that tight I'm sure we could have a whip round then you just don't let the vet dispose of her and say you have a big garden and have somewhere to bury her. Whichever it does sound like its time for her to go as something probably the cancer is affecting her temperament.

:/ I have an 11 year old english pointer, she is senile, has cataracts and has some dodgy looking tumours growing on 2 of her teats.

She has been a fantastic dog over the years but now has taken to growling continuously at the other pointer and my jack and she keeps kicking off at them both, the younger pointer looks like she has been shot in the face she has that many puncture wounds, even though we are trying our hardest to keep them separated.

My kids are getting distressed by it and i got bitten separating them on the weekend. Broken skin only slight but huge bruise, these are powerful dogs. Im now frightened for the welfare of my children, my wife is adamant that she wont have her put down.

They kicked off again tonight and the excuse she used is that we cant afford to price of her being put down and disposed of.

I have had enough. Is there any law that says i cant take her for " one last hunt" and not come back with her, if you know what I mean. I have the necessary tools available, it would be swift and humane, but is it legal? I would bury her on one of my permission and not actually do the deed myself. :lol:

Elvis you have my sympathy, when I was a boy my father had to put down his old Lab,the dog was in pain and could hardly walk

vets in those days were for emergencies and bigger jobs,he didnt have a rifle then, so he used his shotgun one evening after taking the old boy for his last walk(hobble) across our field.

He didnt want me to go with him but I heard the shot and some time later my father came back to the house and we could see that he was very upset, later he told me that it was not so much having to put the old boy down but the damage the shotgun had done to him.

Whatever you decide save yourself a little of the upset and do dont use a shotgun.

All the best

:/ D2D

EE,

I am sure you will do the right thing by her, I certainly wouldn't want to be in your predicament. Personally I would take her to the Vets and do the job swiftly and cleanly. Whatever weapon rifle or shotgun is going to make one hell of a mess and that would do more damge to you mentally than not shooting for a couple of weeks.

It would also take one incredibly hard person to actually do this anyway.

Please look at all the options before doing anything rash, there is always places like the PDSA who I am sure would help in these situations as I sure your vet would as well if you spoke to them.

Evil Elvis, what can I say you have my condolences. Unfortunately your going to have every ballistics expert and FAC expert explaining to you about bullet placement and the best way and most humane way to take your dog out, which isn't going to make things any easier.

Your biggest responsibility is for the safety of your wife and kids despite what your Mrs thinks.

My best advice to you is that if you don't want to do the job yourself and a vet isn't an option, get on to your local RSPCA and see what they say. They may be able to do the job for you, that's what they're there for anyway.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

get rid before it harms your kids always a hard thing to do but if i was in your situation id either pen it seperate from the other dogs in a pen where your kids cant get into it either , if you cant do that then id go a walk and it wouldnt be coming home and whos to know what the legal situation is if no one knows you did it :/ ive had to do it a few times never a nice job but its over in seconds

If you do it, you're a better man than me - I'd take the easy option.

If you go the vet route, count me in for the whip.

Regardless of the legals, if you did ever find yourself in the **** over it, what judge is going to punish you given your obvious love for the dog? and considering the recent headlines about dogs and kids.

You have to consider only one thing here - your kids and don't let it get to the stage where you're saying "If only I had.........."

Good luck, I feel sorry for you but you have to do the right thing (by the kids) first and foremost

Iaindp

:/ Thanks for all the support guys, Im sitting her with a tear in my eye at work in my office, I'm overwhelmed and still just as confused, I got it into my head that it would be more dignified for her, one last outing, and a friend has offerred to do it, thing is hes as soft as me and i realise that I was wrong to ask him really, hes a dog lover too.

Its really Lisa that I need to convince, Shes been such a great dog and that makes it all the harder, but the kidsa are distressed and poor Boo Boo has holes all over her. My youngest, Tyler has a bloody mature head on her shoulders and wants me to do the right thing, Harlie hates me at the moment as does Lisa. :/

Its not the money aspect, i can always find money(or space on my credit cards), but again thanks for the offers, its heart warming and much appreciated.

I would love to find someone who could have her for her last few months maybe longer but its not appropriate :lol: