Beads on the end of shotguns.

benelli

what the hell you want a bead for when you should be looking at the bird/target is beyond me! Beads are for rifle shooting NOT shotgunning!

That's my view as well. It might affect people psychologically if it comes off (for a while anyway). As much as I'm a great believer in the fact that you're not supposed to be looking at the gun at all, I have to confess that I've never taken mine off :yp: :lol::yes:

The other silly thing is that I've also got a Mossberg pump-action, which also has a centre bead half-way down the barrel. I thought that this was really silly, so I recently took that off, but strangely, I wasn't happy doing it. I haven't fired it since, so I don't know whether it will affect my shooting - doubt it, but it's strange how hesitant I was about ripping it off :yes:

Edited by Chard

I once lost the bead (unscrewed) off a shotgun and I believe it affected my accuracy with the gun, until I had it replaced.

There is no logical explanation as I am never conscious of "sighting" the gun, or of looking at the bead, either directly or in my peripheral vision.

My view is, if having a bead works for you, then thats fine.

If you prefer not to have a bead, thats fine to. :blush:

Oh I see, then I had better tell our clubs shooting coaches they are all talking ****! Many thanks for your valuabal input sir

P.S if your looking beyond the target....................... then exactly what are you 'aiming' at?:lol:?

Calm youself down, reread what I actually said, not what you said I said. In fact I said- look beyond TO the target. :blush:

Oh I see, then I had better tell our clubs shooting coaches they are all talking ****! Many thanks for your valuabal input sir

P.S if your looking beyond the target....................... then exactly what are you 'aiming' at?:lol:?

Calm youself down, reread what I actually said, not what you said I said. In fact I said- look beyond TO the target. :blush:

:lol::lol::lol: Do apologise squire,

I once lost the bead (unscrewed) off a shotgun and I believe it affected my accuracy with the gun, until I had it replaced.

There is no logical explanation as I am never conscious of "sighting" the gun, or of looking at the bead, either directly or in my peripheral vision.

My view is, if having a bead works for you, then thats fine.

If you prefer not to have a bead, thats fine to. :lol:

:blush:

Edited by chrispti

I would offer the following in relation to this matter:

"Any shooter who imagines, therefore, that he shoots purely by instinct, and that the things that contribute to the visual pointability of a gun mean nothing to him, should start entertaining some doubts."

G.T.Garwood 1970

That said, the bead per se may or may not be all that important, but I am convinced that the visual cue provided by some or all of the bead, rib and/or barrel is important. Otherwise why mount the gun at all; why not fire from the hip?

It may also be useful to consider that not seeing the bead and not looking at it aren't exactly the same thing.

Sandy22, cracking post that, sums up what I was eluding to earlier.. I.e If present and "normal" I don't consciously "see" my bead, however if it is not aligned correctly I do see it and it takes my eye away and I have problems.

I must actually "see" the bead under normal shooting conditions. I am not looking at it, but it is there in my sight picture.

I liken it to perhaps the situation whereby a rifle shooter keeps both eyes open when using a telescopic sight as compared to shutting one eye. When keeping both open one has a different sight picture to before, but you have to trust that this new picture is different but still accurate.