whats your favourite type of shooting?

tweedledee

hi guys just wondering what you folk class as the best shooting and what you enjoy most? i ll start off by saying that i can t beat a good days decoying when all works out. fac air rifle has to be my second favourite.i find it has a completely different type of buzz to it.its the cheapest form of shooting and i normally score over 1000 birds a year with it.i also enjoy the odd outing after ducks and am shortly going to revamp the old duckpond on an outfarm. :angry:

i've had a little think but i just can't decide. :beer:

i love a good day on the pigeons , but , coming home with a dozen rabbits from an early morning stalk takes some beating .

then again , coming home with a deer in the back of the car is great.

i'm just shooting mad .

it's also been said in the past that i'm a shooting slag (i'll go with anybody) :good: , i'd find it hard to disagree :sly:

For me wildfowling below the high tide mark beats all other forms of shooting hands down. Its not so much what you shoot , but more the sights and sounds the coast provides than makes the sport. The anticipation in the pre dawn darkness of wild geese calling out on the mud flats , wigeon pouring out of the inky dusk or best of all a stormy day tide flighting , watching packs of wigeon and pintail cresting the waves and battling the wind. And of course there are the little extras that make the day , wild swans migrating along the coast or a pair of avocets feeding yards away from your hide catching the first rays of the sun.

You will shoot far more duck and geese inland , but true wildfowling is not really about killing fowl, that’s just a bonus. A goose on the shore is worth 10 in the fields.

Next its a toss up between working my dogs rough shooting and pigeon decoying. I take great pride in working my dogs in cover , flushing game and then performing a good retrieve.

Edited by anser2

Spending a crisp winter's morning out looking for roe, munties or fallow, either on foot or in a high seat. There's something very satisfying about being in the woods whilst everything wakes up around you, (often) oblivious to your presence.

But I do love rough shooting too.

Edited by Baldrick

Spending a crisp winter's morning out looking for Roe on foot. There's something very satisfying about being in the woods whilst everything wakes up around you, (often) oblivious to your presence.

I have been doing this this weekend and its been bloody fantastic - here is a short vid of a nice 6 pointer we saw (Roll on april 1st)

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb257/t...nt=MOV00067.flv

Edited by tulkyuk

unfortunately, the only shooting I have ever done is air rifles (only targets) and last week I went clay pigeon shooting for the first time and I'm hooked, best fun i think iv ever had!

Although Id love to go game/quary shooting I dont think that it will happen untill I leave home because my dad says that he doesnt mind my air rifles but that hes not having a 'real' gun (shottie) in the house etc

I think it has to be summer bunny bashing. Find a nice comfortable spot to lie in a field near a decent warren, and knock them down as they come out. I've only really done a lot of it with the air rifle, but now I have some real rifles it should make the bag bigger due to the extra range.

Saying that, my best one off shoot so far had to be lying in the mud in the p***ing rain in december, waiting for a deer to show up with Drovers! Something tells me that when the novelty wears off I'll be sticking to the summer bunnies :angry:

unfortunately, the only shooting I have ever done is air rifles (only targets) and last week I went clay pigeon shooting for the first time and I'm hooked, best fun i think iv ever had!

Although Id love to go game/quary shooting I dont think that it will happen untill I leave home because my dad says that he doesnt mind my air rifles but that hes not having a 'real' gun (shottie) in the house etc

Just read this. Don't be too put out mate, air rifle hunting is a great sport! You'll learn a lot more having to outwit your quarry than you will by knocking them down from afar. Read my post above and try it, it's great fun. Stay down wind of the rabbits and about 30 yards out behind a tuft of grass. Keep still and you can have hours of fun :angry: