Help! Garage door broken!

*NickH*

Hi All

I know this is a long shot but I thought I would give it a try! My garage door will not open and now all my shooting gear is stuck in the garage :hmm:

The garage door works by two cables running left and right from the lock so when you twist the hadle the cables pull a catch out from the frame on each side, it feels like the right hand cable has broken/wont work??

Has anyone ever had a similar problem/know how to fix?? It would be easy from the inside but I cant get in!!!

Thanks in advance!

Nick

I take it theres no personal door or window to gain access? :hmm:

Probably the only route left would be brute force and a bit of ignorance,

try using a large flat blade screwdriver in the gap down the side of door to ease

the latch keeper away from the latch.

No there is no other door/window :hmm:

I looked at trying to get a screw driver down the side the try and flick the catch out but the are reinforcing plates on the outside where the latches are - to stop people breaking in I reckon!!

Im stuck :hmm:

what is actually happening? can you turn the handle or not, if not then the lock sounds faulty which you may be able to drill out. If the handle turns and isn't moving the catches its more tricky. It may be though that its cheaper to get a lock smith out than wreck the door with a disc cutter etc that will get you in but leave a big bill

Hmm might try the spade or the roof idea!

Alex - The handle turns and the lock seems to work ok, im 99% sure it's something to do with with cable/catch on the right as when I turn the handle the left catch disengages but the right doesnt.... I can open it a tiny bit on the left bu not enough to get anyone inside :hmm:

in that case try the spade attempt, get someone to hold the handle open and try and pull the left hand side out, if it comes past the frame try and pull it towards you. This should pull the other side off its runners and allow you to open it.

It is a Henderson up and over door I assume? If so you can get a kit from most builders merchants which have the 2 plastic cones and cables in, if the cable has already broken then you will need to wind the tension back into the spring.

The best and cheapest option is to go through the yellow pages and find a garage door speciallist as they will come out and fix it for less than you will be able to buy the parts and winding the spring back up is a nightmare job.

I have changed a few of the conesets and they are not easy.

You should be able to open the door but if you force it open it may not shut again. Take my advice and get someone in, it is not an expensive job. I reckon about £50 - £80. The cones themselves will probably cost £25.

Hi there Nick, Slug has been reading this and said, " drill a hole in line with the catch and into the catch itself, you can then use a thin screwdriver to prize it out of the keep. You can check the position of the cacht by looking at the side that opens. When you get it open fill the hole with a rivett"

Its as clear as mud to me but he knew what he meant lol

Sarah

Sarah/Slug

Thats a good idea, thanks for that, it makes sense to me! Im pretty sure I know where the the catch meets the door so I could drill there...

Thanks everyone for some great ideas, to try and make it a bit clearer hopefully you should see a diagram below: (it's an up &over type door - it doesn't use weights/springs:

door.jpg

When you turn the handle can you push it in at the top, used to fit loads of the cardale doors (long time ago mind) and if my memory seves me right that also had a catch at the top in the middle, ok i know its not helping your situation but just one to keep in mind. Trying deperatly to remember if there was anything we used to do or if i even ever had this situation..but after all its supposed to be secure, which wouldn't really be the idea if you could easily open it from the outside.

• 10 years later...

I managed to open my cardale garage door, without damaging it, when the hook on the plastic handle failed leaving one of my cables hanging down.

This method will only for one of the left or right cables, and only if you haven't got 'stuff' piled up all the way to the edge of the door.

My left and right cables are about 3ft long. The plates down the edge of the door are 2ft long. Using some stiff wire, I made a hook with about a 6 inch curve. In the 1ft section below the protection plate, I was able hook the cable out of the edge of the door. I then tied some string onto the cable, and then pushed the cable and some of the string back through the edge of the door. Then I was able to get the string around the bottom corner and move along the bottom of the door until I was at the opposite bottom corner. This provided an angle where pulling on the string released the catch.

Edited by Bengineer

36 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

I managed to open my cardale garage door, without damaging it, when the hook on the plastic handle failed leaving one of my cables hanging down.

This method will only for one of the left or right cables, and only if you haven't got 'stuff' piled up all the way to the edge of the door.

My left and right cables are about 3ft long. The plates down the edge of the door are 2ft long. Using some stiff wire, I made a hook with about a 6 inch curve. In the 1ft section below the protection plate, I was able hook the cable out of the edge of the door. I then tied some string onto the cable, and then pushed the cable and some of the string back through the edge of the door. Then I was able to get the string around the bottom corner and move along the bottom of the door until I was at the opposite bottom corner. This provided an angle where pulling on the string released the catch.

Pretty sure after 10 years he will have the door open 

28 minutes ago, Luckyshot said:

Pretty sure after 10 years he will have the door open 

He, moved house now, compulsory purchased and now a multi story car park for Sainsburys.  Hes still shooting though so probably bought some new stuff.

When one of inside arms came adrift on my garage door it left it in the locked position , the handle still opened one side and one of the members suggested putting a spade in the top corner from the outside , done it in a flash , no damage to the door and  the problem was a nut and bolt on the offending arm had come apart  , once inside it was easy to put right .

Might not be the same problem as yours , but worth giving a try , GOOD LUCK.