Took out the nephew shooting for his first time

As it says .... I took my 12 year old nephew out with me shooting sometime back in the winter. He was asked at school to write about the most memorable moment in his life.

This is what he wrote.... feel quite proud he chose this time.....

MY MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT

My Memorable time came on Friday morning in late December when i went shooting with my uncle. We woke up at around 5.Am. So that we could have some breakfast and make a hot drink to warm us up before we left at 5:30.am. The one thing i remember was how cold it was outside and the mist that was visible in the distance, it was quite hazy and bitterly cold, it was a good job i had taken my hat and gloves. As we drove off from my uncles house he spoke to me about where we were going and what was going to happen, I asked him how long till we got there and he said “ about 5-10 minutes â€. I couldn’t wait I was really excited about the day, but if im truthful i was also a little bit nervous, but my uncle explained to me that everything would be okay as long as i listened to what he told me and remained sensible, because we may not be the only people out there.

We arrived at our shooting grounds and got out the car, I opened the boot my uncle got out his gun case and pulled an over and under shotgun from its case and asked if i would hold it so i eagerly said “ YES †and took the gun from his hands and was surprised at how heavy it was. While I had hold of the gun my uncle was adding cartridges in to his camouflage jacket pockets. My uncle shut the car boot and climbed over the gate asking me to pass the gun to him once he was over the gate. As I climbed over the gate my uncle whispered to me to be quiet as there may be a rabbit or so near to the farm house. We walked slowly and carefully because my uncle had seen a movement at the top of the stone path. Just as we were around halfway up the path a rabbit ran out and was sat there looking in our direction, my uncle raised the gun to his shoulder and lined up the rabbit and ‘BANG’ the rabbit was shot. It Really surprised me at the loudness of the bang as the gun went off. I walked up towards the rabbit and picked it up putting it into the shooting bag that was around my shoulder.

We walked around the farm house and began entering another field when my uncle said “maybe it would be lighter for you if you hung the rabbit on to a harvester that was near to the farm house and collect it on the way back†i agreed. We Carried on into the field me on one side and my uncle on the other side of the hedge, my uncle said for me to beat the bush with a stick and see whether anything would run out. I heard a squeaking sound and then another ’BANG’ I shouted over to my uncle “what was that you just shot†and he replied “I have just shot a Pheasant†So I tried finding a hole in the bush to see what a pheasant was as I had never seen a pheasant before.

I found a hole in the hedge and hurried through my uncle was stood there holding the bird it had colourful feathers and was very limp, I took it from my uncles hands and put it into the bag. I went back through the hedge and carried on banging at the bush ’BANG’ ’BANG’. I shouted to my uncle “is that another two†he replied “yep that’s two more for the bag†I ran back around and there was another two lying this time on the floor I asked my uncle “Why are these two a different colour to the first one†my uncle said “because the first one was a male and the second and third are females you can tell by the colour of their feathers males have a shiny green and blue and the females have a dull beige colourâ€. A little while later my uncle said “come on then time to go home†the day had flown by, we had been out for over 4hours but it seemed a lot less. We collected the rabbit on the way back to the car hoping that a fox hadn’t already taken it, But it was okay we jumped in the car and made our way home. I had really enjoyed the day it was so exiting and an experience I will never forget, from the ‘BANG‘ of the gun and the smell of the gunpowder, ( BRILLIANT ).

Send it into the Shooting Times, they will print it in the Junior sertion I expect.....and he will get free BASC membership for the year.

I sent in a couple of photo's of my two in Jan and they are very proud of thier membership cards and badges!

Jerry

Thanks for all the comments guys.... I like the shooting times suggestion sandersj, I'll do that. :good:

What I haven't said... is at the time we went shooting he was a very fit lad played lots of sports etc. a month ago he ended up in hospital with severe arthritis and is now unable to play any of his rugby, football, swimming etc. His knees went up like footballs and he was having a drain one side of each knee and antibiotics/steroids the other side of each knee. He can walk/hobble again now but each morning he is as stiff as a board and has to hobble about to get to school. Some days he cannot even walk to school and needs a lift. It takes most of the day to get to bend his legs a bit.

We don't know how this will pan-out just yet. It is staggering how a lad seemingly at the epitome of good health can go downhill so quickly.

I rang him yesterday and told him your comments which he was amaized at and loved the shooting times/BASC idea. It was a good boost to his feeling of wellbeing. It really cheersed him up, thanks.

Addition later on ..... forgot to mention ... he lives in Wales ... so thanks Ice.

cheers

Malk

Edited by malkiserow

Well done young man.

What a lovely write up. I really felt i was their with you.

Hope you are feeling alot better soon so we can have the other instalment . :hmm:

Dear Malkiserow.

If he is really intested in the sport get him into the BASC like Mr Saunders was talking about .

Both my boys are members .and are always being invited to Young shots Training days.

Little Sweepy has been on one and thoughly enjoyed it . You only pay a small fee .And if i remember right you dont have to have a shotgun certificate.

xxxxsuzy

p.s Little Malkiserow GET WELL SOON .

Send it into the Shooting Times, they will print it in the Junior sertion I expect.....and he will get free BASC membership for the year.

I sent in a couple of photo's of my two in Jan and they are very proud of thier membership cards and badges!

Jerry

Thanks for all the comments guys.... I like the shooting times suggestion sandersj, I'll do that. :unsure:

What I haven't said... is at the time we went shooting he was a very fit lad played lots of sports etc. a month ago he ended up in hospital with severe arthritis and is now unable to play any of his rugby, football, swimming etc. His knees went up like footballs and he was having a drain one side of each knee and antibiotics/steroids the other side of each knee. He can walk/hobble again now but each morning he is as stiff as a board and has to hobble about to get to school. Some days he cannot even walk to school and needs a lift. It takes most of the day to get to bend his legs a bit.

We don't know how this will pan-out just yet. It is staggering how a lad seemingly at the epitome of good health can go downhill so quickly.

I rang him yesterday and told him your comments which he was amaized at and loved the shooting times/BASC idea. It was a good boost to his feeling of wellbeing. It really cheersed him up, thanks.

Addition later on ..... forgot to mention ... he lives in Wales ... so thanks Ice.

cheers

Malk

I feel sorry for your nephew, I've had arthritis for 2 years since i was 12 and have had to give up most of my sports except shooting and fishing (no way i'm givng them up). I'm acctually off school today because i could'nt walk this morning so i can relate to what its like. It does get better with time as doctors work out what drugs work best for you, unfortunatly theres still bad days but thats just the way it is, also encourage him to get back to the swimming pool it's fantastic for building leg muscles which will help alot with the pain in his knees. I hope your nephew gets better and his arthritis disapperes.

ss12

Malkiserow firstly I like to say brilliant story! I still remember the first time My father took me out, that was nearly 20 years ago! Makes a big impact on you..

Secondly, I wish and hope your nephew a speedy and healthy recovery!

regards, matt..

• 4 months later...

Update...

The lad tries his very best and is making progress walking again with much physio and special insoles to try to get his feet straight again. Watching a talented sportman/lad going to this is quite sadening.

There is much concern over his eyesight now and ongoing treatment to try to sort this (how athritis affects this I don't understand but it seems to).

I hope he can come and visit me over Christmas and I'll take him out again..... and I'll ask him to write up a piece for PW! :yes:

Great story and another great memory that will hopefully be with him for life. Hope the lad finds some relief and get back to doing something that he enjoys. Look forward to a Christmas update :D

I took my nephew out, he has quite a bad attention disorder and when he was off for summer holidays I took him out a few days when I was free, football, fishing and shooting round the fields with the air rifle. Every time he was out there was a noticable change in his behaviour which his mother couldn't believe, shooting and fishing especially gave him something to to conentrate and use all the excess energy he seems to have in something constructive. Since the shooting day he just wants to do it himself, which is a pity as its all too difficult here for younger shooters with all guns (air rifles too) being lisenced.

I will take any opportunity I can to get him back out and feed his love for it whenever I can.