22 or 17 HMR

Robby22

IN MY OPINION IT HAS TO BE THE HMR. THE CZ IS A NO NONSENSE RIFLE AND WOULD BE MY CHOICE TOO, IF YOU HAVE LIMITED FUNDS, AND USE IT AS OPPOSED TO JUST GETTING IT OUT TO POLISH IT ONCE A MONTH. A VERY ROBUST PIECE OF KIT.

THE .22 IS OK. IF YOU DON'T MIND WAITING A FEW MINUTES FOR THE BULLET TO REACH THE TARGET, AND IF YOU'RE ONLY TRYING TO HIT SOMETHING AS FAR AWAY AS YOU CAN SPIT.

I USE THE HMR AND MY MATE USED TO USE A .22, THOUGH AFTER EXPERIENCING THE EXTRA POWER AND RANGE OF THE HMR........YOU GUESSED........HE TOO NOW HAS ONE...

I have both and often ask myself the question which one would I keep...

I love the .22 to bits. It is very quiet and puts in lovely groups at the ranges I shoot at. The .17 is a lovely gun too, but it's heavier (varmint barrel) and noisy. Yes, a bigger mod _may_ make it slightly better, but you shoot, rabbits scoot. With the .22, you shoot and bunny 2 looks around wondering why bunny 1 is suddenly having a lie down.

I have both and often ask myself the question which one would I keep...

I love the .22 to bits. It is very quiet and puts in lovely groups at the ranges I shoot at. The .17 is a lovely gun too, but it's heavier (varmint barrel) and noisy. Yes, a bigger mod _may_ make it slightly better, but you shoot, rabbits scoot. With the .22, you shoot and bunny 2 looks around wondering why bunny 1 is suddenly having a lie down.

Much as I hate agreeing with a Suffolk boy again, (that's twice this week) Wookie has it sussed, buy a 22, you can wipe out the rabbits on a farm with it, no problem. A 17 tends to make them jittery if you use it regularly. If you feel the need later buy a 17, but a 22 will do all that you need, and far cheaper. My 17 gets very little use compared to the 10/22.

For most of my shooting, the HMR is better ballistically. I have a lot of open fields and can shoot as far as I want. When they are all cut, you can't get within 100 yd of the hares or birds so the HMR wins the day ballistically.

That said, there is just something about a 22 sub through a moderator and the complete lack of noise. I've started shooting my 22 to beyond 100 yd and I'm liking it. And, just the other day I was shooting inside the barnyard and the cows/sheep didn't care. Two hares past 75 yd with 3 shots and the animals didn't move. It is really tough to beat that.

Long story short, if you are shooting 100yd or less, stick to the 22LR.

Thanks,

Rick

I am just about to buy a .17 hmr this week.. :oops: to take a few crows out. We struggle to get anywhere near them at the minute with the .22 so going to try the .17 now.

As has been said though, the low noise of the .22 makes it a cracking rabbit tool! :hmm:

Sort of on topic to do with the .17 hmr, what mod do most people use and how would you rate it?

2 totally different calibres each with its own advantages.i only have 22 and it does all i ask from it.but then again every good man knows his limitations :hmm: .on a serious note i have shot the hmr and it is flat but i have nt yet felt the strong urge to buy one. very close to it mind you but i would nt sell the 22 :oops:

I'd faver the .22 also. If you want to sit on your bum at 100 yards then buy the hmr. If your like me and want to get up close, the .22 has to be 1st choice.

Also picture the ideal conditions. Slight brezze and a little rain, where's your hmr, not on target anyway. :oops:

Edited by decroyffe

Go for a .22 The rounds are a quarter of the price, its quieter and a better rifle to learn on. Ive only had mine since May, but out with it three times a week. The best thing i have done recently with it is get good practice in with Supersonic rounds (CCI Stingers 32 Grain). Ive also ditched the Harris bi pod temporarily and opted for unbeleivably cheap shooting sticks (2 leg not 3). Ive been taking rabbit out to around 130 yards knelt up on the sticks.

Dont turn to the dark side, . . . . . . .

Cheers

Gaz

i must say if i only had one it would be the hmr, it will do everything the 22 will do and a lot more. as for the noise, it does not seem to bother the rabbits at all, several times i have shot a rabbit only for its mate sitting only inches away to stay there giving me a second shot. no contest .17HMR everytime.

well i must admit not owning a 17 but own a 22 and have had many rabbits with it aswell some being well over a 100 yds aswell using sub sonic ammo in my cz452 with mod its a very effective tool and also the ammo is much less cost aswell

but i guess it up to the person who is going to be using the gun

but the 22 will do a good job for me as im sure others will agree aswell

altho the 17 may be flatter to shoot with less bullet drop , once you get the hang of using a 22 getting used to the different drops of the bullet at different distances it will be just as good as the 17

any way i zero the scope on my 22 rimmy for 100 yrds and have never complained nor have the quarry that i shoot

as it says on the box of ammo these are dangerous for upto 1.5 miles im sure their is plenty of punch in them at distances of 100 yards +

anyway just my opinion

also when i had my henry lever action 22 fitted with my vomz pilad scope i was popping rabbits at around 200 paces so im going to be putting that scope on my cz452

Edited by radio1ham

Too totally different calibers for different purposes! Both have distinct advantages. For a cheap bit of kit that you can knock about and bag a few rabbits for the pot grab a 22!

For a rifle with a bit more flexibility, maybe a bit of rabbiting(if you dont mind them being blown in half), a spot of long range (100-200 yard) Crow Bashing or even a night out foxing then the HMR will be better than the 22.

It really depends on what you need / want :hmm: If noise is an issue then the 22 is great, if not the HMR is very good.

Dont let anybody else make the decision for you, otherwise you'll always wonder if you should get the other 1 haha :oops:

what a great read, not meaning to hijack it or anything but what sort of distances are we talking with the 22lr and the 17hmr,

im curently working out what what would be best for bunnies and birds, now my thing is i like the idea of being far away so they dont see or hear me, but i also like the idea of the quieter 22, iv been looking at the sako quad and i believe it has changable barrles on it, so would i be able to request both 22 and 17 and use the same rifle,

sorry for hijacking

cheers, Lee

as you can see you have opened a can of worms now, so this one will have my say, ive used the 22 for 25 years and if shooting for the pot it does not damage the meat to much. but last year i bought an hmr a savage thumbhole stock model and found it an awesome little rifle as i use it to just clear rabbits from around our fields as they do a lot of damage to crops the rifle has already accounted for hundreds of rabbits and i don't keep them to eat, but if you want to you don't have to buy ballistic tipped ammo you can go for the soft lead ammo which wont damage the meat so much. another reason i go for the hmr is if out lamping you can shoot at 50yds and still have the same aim point at 120yds, due to the flat trajectory which is a real plus, so as you can see the hmr is a very versatile round......ps most gun shops sell more hmr ammo than any other round, must tell you something.

what a great read, not meaning to hijack it or anything but what sort of distances are we talking with the 22lr and the 17hmr,

im curently working out what what would be best for bunnies and birds, now my thing is i like the idea of being far away so they dont see or hear me, but i also like the idea of the quieter 22, iv been looking at the sako quad and i believe it has changable barrles on it, so would i be able to request both 22 and 17 and use the same rifle,

sorry for hijacking

cheers, Lee

This all depends on a number of variables. In perfect conditions with excelltent optics the only thing that really limits the 22 and HMR are the ballistics of the Bullet and the Shooter behind the gun. :no:

The MOST important factor I would say is the person shooting the rifle. With enough time put in on testing bullet drop at different ranges and so forth a shooter shouldn't have any problems. There are videos on Youtube of people using a .22LR effectivly to 200 yards! Other people have reported using the HMR successfully even further :oops: !

Just go for something you like that feels right to you. To me my first rifle will probally be a Ruger 10/22. There cheap, easy to use, Im not going to go nuts like the americans prob just chuck a nice lil scope on it and off we go! :hmm: Get something that suits what YOU NEED! :)

I've looked at your signature, air rifle and .243. I'd go for the HMR in your position. If you're good with the air gun you're only 40 yards short of the "easy" range of a .22lr. Unless you want to play the rangefinder game and hold over a mile, pushing it past 70-80 yards takes some hard work! The HMR however is much better. In the crosshairs and fire from 50-120 yards (front end shots).

I'd say it depends whether you want a challenging sport gun (.22) or a lmedium range vermin basher (.17)?

The noise of the HMR can be an issue, but the majority of the time the thump of a .22 sub hitting a bunnys mate will un-nerve him just as much as the crack of the HMR being fired.

A lot of keen guys varmint shoot with 6mm too, including .243 :crazy:

Thanks for the replys, Im still undecided, but now I know the pro's an cons of each, so when it comes to getting one, at least I can make a decision for the right reasons (as opposed to just getting one over the other for no reason).

Thanks again

Robby22

Robby,

You will probably get different advice from the Quad owners on here, but I had considered one when I was looking for a gun. However, I decided not to go for one (went for two CZ452s instead) because any decent scope would have to be taken off when changing barrels.

Ok, so you have to re-zero and that's annoying, but more importantly, it's something else to go wrong. When all's said and done, a rifle is a tool and that makes it just a little more complicated.

Other than that, the options for .22 are stunning. I know a man that uses a Walther .22 semi for lamping because it is so short. Looks evil though...