20 bore cartridges

hello folks. i have just bought a new 20g o/u for the current season. i have not shot a twentey for 10 years or so.

could you chaps tell me which 28 gram 6 shot load plas wad, you recormend as a pigeon game stopper.

i bought 250 28g super 20 express 6s in the deal are they anygood.

whats the opinion on the following. please only answer if you know and have tried.

Eley ct game

vip eley game

hull sterling game

viri super

rc 20 t3 game ( i recon to much antomy in the lead ) shot 250 last week.

gamebore pure gold

clever mirage

please give me your thoughts ? :D:good::lol:

I don't think all of the ones you mentioned come in plastic but I could be wrong. If memory serves me correctly some of them are available with a photodegradable plastic wad.

I've used 200 odd 28g Sterling Game through my 20 bore with a fibre wad and they do the job nicely. :D

Also used a 1250 28g 7.5 Eley CT's in fibre for clays and they worked well but I don't know what the cartridge loaded in 5's 6's or 7's is like.

I've also shot a few RC Sipe 26g 5's which seem OK but won't be the cheapest by any means.

As you can see I just stick to fibre in my 20 bore.

Hope that helps,

FM :good:

As a 20-bore nut, I have tried virtually every single load available to me. I settled on Hull Sterling Game 28g #6 or High Pheasant 25g #6, both fibre wad. I almost always shoot driven or walked-up with a 20-bore. If you're a good shot, you won't need more than 28g for pigeons and pheasant.

I would only use plastic wads for clays. Try to stick to fibre wads whenever you are shooting over agricultural land, whether it is used by livestock or not.

but i will still stick with plas wads unless the land owner requires fibre or felt.

Do you leave your empties behind in the hedgerow or woodland? Nope, thought not (or at least "hope" not), so why is it acceptable to leave plaswads lying around the countryside? :good::good::hmm:

Hull HP or Sterling (in FIBRE) get another vote from me.

i will still stick with plas wads unless the land owner requires fibre or felt.

This comment bugs me too. It's absolutely guaranteed to **** off the landowner/farming tenant if there are livestock on or nearby the land you shoot over.

Are you a proficient enough Shot to notice the difference in patterning caused by plastic vs. fibre wad? Maybe you are. Why not just have a bit more respect for the general environment, use fibre wads and leave no trace behind?

Never knowingly shot plas wads, i just don't like the idea of leaving problems in the countryside that some day my children or childrens children will have to deal with. Fibre for me all the way, and you get no embarrasing moments when you guest somewhere and the host has forgotten to tell you it's a fibre only shoot.

Current carts are Eley 28g CT in 6's which stop pigeon and pheasants very nicely. Eley VIPs are also very nice but a tad expensive. Lyvale special game are effective too but seem to be dirty as hell in my gun.

as an x international shooter there is no dought that plas wads give better patterns at distance and more consistant pressures above felt or fibre wads. i genrally use photo degradable plastic wads ( PDP ) which break down in around 13 months. not really causing and damage to the country side, but i do have 300 acres where i do have to use felt and fibre as it is grazing ground but im still not keen on them.

Edited by Ears

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Eley 20 gauge do the job for me I have shot the CT range in all loads 21 24 28 and found them to be one of the best cartridges on the market today have also shot VIP and grand prix in all loads up to 32 gram people say they are a tad expensive but having payed out for a days game shooting i dont want a cheap cartridge letting me down. I have always found you get what you payfor and you get a lot of cartridge with 32gm vips just wish i was a better shot. ELEYS range of 20 gauge is one of the best around in fibre and plastic so you should find one that will do for your needs be it for clays or game.

Its the bit between the charge and the shot, which absorbs the charge and is forced out of the barrel behind the shot, if you're using plastics its a sort of white/translucent cup with a springy bit behind it, looks a bit like a small goblet that you can see fly out of the barrel sometimes and littering wherever you shoot with them, basically because they're plastic they just stay there for the next thousand years, fibres are usually just that, a fibre wad that decomposes naturally. Those that are biodegradeable are a step in the right direction but what chemicals do they release when they decompose? Anyone know?

I agree you get better patterns from plastics, but for knocking down pigeons is it really worth it?

I'm not telling anyone what to do, I guess its up to your own conscience, i shot plastics for years over crops without any comment from the landowner, who i know very well, but i don't use them anymore, apart from the odd foray for clays; and even then i usually forget.

Edited by JR1960

Plastic wads choke and kill livestock and horses, irrespective of whether they are photodegradable wads or not. Livestock, particularly sheep (which just leap at any opportunity to kill themselves), will eat anything on offer. Plastic wads also look hideous littering fields. If you are shooting over somebody else's land, ask whether plastic wads are acceptable.

Frankly, worrying about cartridge choice to the nth degree is a waste of time, any reputable brand of the right shot size will do the work, and I'm an advocate of lighter is better, 21g or 24g give me better results than 28g and many agree.

If you have the skill to put the lead in the air in the right place, just about any cartridge will be effective. The differences are tiny and might make one or two kills difference in a 100 round - relevant to Digweed as to whether he gets 1st or 2nd place, but irrelevant to mere mortals like the rest of us who miss because we lack the skills, not because we have the wrong catrs.

If you are not getting the kill rate you would like, don't blame the cartridges, try getting your technique improved with lessons, money better spent!

Interesting to go back through this after having tried out a variety of the different carts recommended over the weekend on my new 20.

The Eley VIP Game were my favourites, they certainly seemed to suit my gun and shot very smoothly.

The Hull Sterling Game were also very nice too.

These are the standard two I shall be using from now onwards

My least favourite was the Gamebore Traditional Game, 28g No6, the 65mm fibre - very loud and even my shooting partner asked what cart it was because of the extra noise over the others, they also gave a noticeable amount of extra recoil on the gun.

Cheers

Edited by Santlache

Frankly, worrying about cartridge choice to the nth degree is a waste of time, any reputable brand of the right shot size will do the work, and I'm an advocate of lighter is better, 21g or 24g give me better results than 28g and many agree.

If you have the skill to put the lead in the air in the right place, just about any cartridge will be effective. The differences are tiny and might make one or two kills difference in a 100 round - relevant to Digweed as to whether he gets 1st or 2nd place, but irrelevant to mere mortals like the rest of us who miss because we lack the skills, not because we have the wrong catrs.

If you are not getting the kill rate you would like, don't blame the cartridges, try getting your technique improved with lessons, money better spent!

Absolutely spot on!

clayman is right - no doubt.

confidence is key. save your money and your shoulder, put it in the right place and it will kill. having gone from a 12 to a twenty 27yrs ago my wife bought me a lovely .410 o/u 8yrs ago which i have used for nearly all my game shooting since, and guess what, 18grams of eley no.6 is enough for most targets, the main limitations on a shooting day are your own capabilities.

I shoot full and full choke to make sure, and my 20 is briley choked full and full (and to make sure it has been done on apattern plate so both barrels shoot the same , so, pretty much the cartridge choice becomes almost irrelevant ), 24/25grams of no.6 (not too hard shot) with smooth powder will do the deal.

express and gamebore std loads are just fine, hull's and cts are too spikey compared to the extra downrange hit. If you are unsure, watch someone else shoot your gun with the different cartridges on clays, and see if the results are the same as when you shoot.

Good luck, whatever you choose, but if you find yourself carrying different cartridges for different drives or targets then you are doomed .

oh yes, make it fibre !

cg

my 20 is briley choked full and full (and to make sure it has been done on apattern plate so both barrels shoot the same , so, pretty much the cartridge choice becomes almost irrelevant ),

I don't understand this comment?? Different cartridges pattern differently through the same gun. 6 different types/manufacturers through the same gun/choke will give different patterns.

You can have a gun regulated to a particular cartridge, but you can't have a particular choke regulated to all cartridges.