Just Jacked a Permission In

monkeyjaimz

As per thread last week:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...showtopic=69722

I saw the farmer tonight and mentioned the guys I'd bumped into last week, turns out he has given them permission and understands that the new guy and myself were going to organise ourselves around each other to share the permission - absolutely no problem at all, im always happy to meet fellow shooters.

So I text the guy saying that I'd be out tonight with the lamp, he replied saying that he and his mate would also be out so we arranged to stick the areas we shot over last week (in order to stay out of each others way bearing in mind theres approx 500 acres there).

So there I am in a field a few hundred yards from the farmers yard and the guy pulls his car in (instead of using the road closer to where he was supposed to be shooting) the yard setting off the flood lights which in turn lit me up just as I was stalking up to a group of 4 rabbits - spooking them nicely, cheers mate :lol:

He and his mate then proceeded to jump out of his car, walk straight into the middle of the area we had both agreed to be my shoot for the evening and start blasting away!

I thought **** this, packed my gear up and came home, not before sending the farmer a heated text message saying that it costs me a fortune to travel there to control his vermin and didnt appreciate the lack of regard for me and safety in general, furthermore if this is what I could expect from now on I shant bother going anymore.

When I got home, He replied saying that he would talk to the new guy (a mate of his) but he didnt appreciate receiving texts of that tone.

I sent him another reply apologising if I seemed rude, but I had other permissions I had almost neglected in order to keep on top of his rabbits and didnt appreciate having my time wasted like it was tonight.

I know it's unheard of for a shooter to do this but I really saw red and to be honest im still stewing about it :lol:

Yea, Good man Bro, You have done what most of us would have done... I had a brilliant permision,shot it for many years, allways gave the owner a couple of bottles of whiskey each year.!!.. anything I shot , he had first shout on it... Then last year, he informed me he had let the vermin shooting to two .22 rimfire blokes who had paid him TWO GRAND!! to shoot it for a year!!.. was I P****D Off??Lets see how much they can pay from now on.. :lol::lol:

Many years ago I had a permission about 30 miles from my home. It had all I wanted to shoot on it, fox, rabbit, pigeon, squirrel etc etc. The farmer phoned me many times and I went there at the drop of a hat to help him.

In the neighboroughing farm/s there was a syndicate who reared and shot pheasants. Theye did not like me being on 'my farm' despite the fact that I kept the vermin down and probably helped them as well.

Then one day I phoned the farmer to say I was on my way down, and he said that he could not let me on his land anymore as the syndicate had paid him a 'lot of money' to keep me off and let some of them use his land. The farmer was already a millionaire so this money was a drop in the ocean to him. I politely thanked him for the time I did have on his land ( a few years) but also reminded him how loyal I had been to him.

He did not seem to be bothered about it and finally said before I put the phone down, "It's all down to money in the end"

Yeah Right! :lol:

Edited by steve_b_wales

yeah have this problem on one farm be shooting huntting for 14yrs and always get a newbi comeing up screaming ranting and a raveing just when you are ferreting great asking to see your permission demanding your name god what a pain same bloke every time i go up he's been on it for 3 yrs a real old **** .the farmer said to me you been comeing here long enough use the f word off to him ?.there are way to many permissions on here but its to handy to chuck in 2 mile from home ? 600 acres prime fox land all other guns are fine we combine together for a couple of days of bolting rabbits to guns and then go our own ways. sometimes we bump into each other lamping we just clutter off to another permission so everyone has a enjoyable night out .thankgod the old **** dont lamp .but it is a pain in the ***

I think you did the right thing James.

Personally I would smooth things over with the farmer and wait for the other bloke to screw up and then hope you can get back in there with exclusive access?

I walked from a nice local permission as the owner had problems with both of his neighbours and they were just looking for points scoring oppertunities over him, once he was on good terms with both again I returned.

I do hope you haven't acted in haste and now will repent at your leisure.

If you have been granted permission to shoot on someone's land for free, that is a privilege and you should never forget that.

You may think you are doing him a favour in controlling his vermin, but as has been proved, he has a queue of people at his door offering to do the same thing.

Regardless of what mistakes you think the Landowner has made, you should respect his position and approach him accordingly.

The fact he felt it necessary to comment on the tone of your text shows he is not impressed.

If the text was much as you have stated in your post, I am not surprised that he is a bit miffed.

Similar thing happened to me last year, a nice bit of permission from the farmer............

Next thing I know he's let some guy onto the land as well, who'd bunged him £500 and started putting down feeders.

When we bumped into each other he said I don't want you down here anymore with your dogs, I said OK, I'll come back once the season has finished. No he said very aggressively, I don't want you down here at all.

I made it known to the farmer I was not impressed especially by this guy's attitude, and now he's offering shooting down there at £350 a year.

There's a couple of public footpaths running right across the land which I can see causing them problems, I'm also very tempted to wander down there once they start a days shooting and just hanging around on the footpath and ******* up their day - but that would make me just as bad as that Neanderthal.

I'm still really hacked off about it, but at times it's just easier to walk away and save yourself all the aggro.

Cheers

We always have lots of posts about people who pay nothing for their shooting (doing the farmer a great favour), and I say good luck to those folks.

However, most farmers don't earn megga bucks and so as such are always tempted by cash offers.

I have never known anyone to win an argument with a farmer.........

I always say that loyalty extends to a phone call, and that is all you can expect - if you get more than this then count your blessings.

I shoot on some farms that cost me nowt (whisky, and chocs for the wife), and others that I pay for.

It's a mixed bag out there, and there is a huge queue for the 'free' shooting that you have.

Don

Many years ago I had a permission about 30 miles from my home. It had all I wanted to shoot on it, fox, rabbit, pigeon, squirrel etc etc. The farmer phoned me many times and I went there at the drop of a hat to help him.

In the neighboroughing farm/s there was a syndicate who reared and shot pheasants. Theye did not like me being on 'my farm' despite the fact that I kept the vermin down and probably helped them as well.

Yeah Right! :good:

Should of stayed out of the covercrop! :good:

It seems to me there’s an attitude problem here...YOURS and others like you who think you have a God given right to shooting on someone else’s land.

You won’t want to hear this (the truth) but as a ‘hobby’ vermin shooter you’re about a much use to a farmer as a bull calf from a milk cow. What farmer needs to keep his vermin down is someone who is available 24/7 365 not someone who will turn out when they feel like it once every so often. Someone who’ll be there at critical times such as drilling times or when the rape is getting hammered or when the rabbits are running amok and NOT just the odd Saturday or the occasional day off work.

Farmers do not give you permission to shoot their land because they love human kind they give someone permission A) to do a job or :good: because they’re paid for it.

Consider this; farmer is sitting on (usually) millions of £s worth of land and investments which mostly do not produce as much of a return as if all that money were invested elsewhere (current market conditions notwithstanding). If they choose to charge for people to shoot then that’s just another return to them which they are quite entitled to. Too many guns on here appear to think shooting (vermin) should be free but why? There’s a post on here about being charged £10 a day to shoot pigeons which most think is outrageous so consider this...you spend a day out in the glorious countryside doing what you love best and go home happy and full of renewed vigour. Is that not worth every bit of a tenner?

You might also consider the majority of posts on here are about guns unable to find shooting permissions. Maybe that's another reason to pay for them! After all there's not many sports that come for free.

So try looking at it from another angle; it’s a privilege to be able to get out and shoot. If you are lucky enough to get it for free then take very very good care of it and spend some time talking with and getting to know farmer. If you have to pay for the pleasure OK enjoy it!

PS. Someone sending me a sharp/rude text would get nothing in return but the bums rush, FOR GOOD!

I think most of it from either side is down to common decency and courtesy, especially with the days of Lord and Serf being long gone.

If a farmer has been kind enough to let someone shoot the vermin on their land, they are doing him a favour and he is also doing them one, therefore common courtesy and respect should be expected from either side.

That in my opinion means communicating with each other, so if some guys come along and also ask the farmer to shoot the land, or offer the farmer money do so, I would expect out of decency a telephone call from him to chat about it. Yes, the farmer has the final say regarding what happens on his land, but that doesn't mean he should forgo politeness and show respect for other people. Likewise with the person who has the permission.

I can understand why an irate text would **** someone off and I've no doubt it was done in the heat of the moment, but then again if the new guys were acting recklessly it is understandable. However, this sort of thing is always best resolved in a face to face chat and thus avoiding any conflict.

Cheers

You won’t want to hear this (the truth)

Highlander, can you try to be a bit more patronising.

There’s a post on here about being charged £10 a day to shoot pigeons which most think is outrageous so consider

this...you spend a day out in the glorious countryside doing what you love best and go home happy and full of renewed

vigour. Is that not worth every bit of a tenner?

Where does it stop? Someone else comes along and says they'll pay £20/day then someone else who's rarely out says they'll

pay £40 for a day. Before you know it the farmer's expecting £100's for you to help him keep on top of vermin damaging his

crops.

This is the other side to the argument. (Is there more than one 'truth'?)

PS. Someone sending me a sharp/rude text would get nothing in return but the bums rush, FOR GOOD!

So you've had these before?

Nial.

I have several permissions, and I don't have to pay anything to shoot on them. I have the utmost respect for the landowners, shoot captains and gamekeepers by whose grace I am able to do my shooting.

I dont have a problem with sharing permissions with anybody, on the contrary - it's nice to have the company sometimes.

I did send a very heated text in the heat of the moment which I apologised for within minutes and explained my reasons to the farmer, however, taking all that into account along with other members comments about farmers investments and needing full time vermin control etc etc it all boils down to this:

I dont appreciate getting shot at one week then having another near miss the following week from the same cretin of a shooter, and being as this person lives a mile down the road (as opposed to 25 miles i travel each way), is a close friend of the farmer and as such highly unlikely to be told to alter his ways - I have decided not to shoot over that land again for my own safety as much as anything.

Something else which occured to me yesterday was how loud the guys rapid (and his mates) was, he told me when I spoke to him that both theirs were sub 12ft/lb yet they were taking very long range range shots (at night with NV) :oops:

I know they both had silencers yet they were bloody loud, this and the fact he asked me if my cyclone was 'tweaked' makes me wonder if their guns were - another reason to exit stage left and let them get on with it as far as im concerned.

Edited by monkeyjaimz