How often should i be cleaning my shotgun ?

reedbradshaw

I clean my O/U shotgun once or twice a year, more often if it gets wet, (and I use it at least once a week).

Gun cleaning is a chore, not a pleasure, as soon as you've fired 2 more shots you're back to square one.

Get a life, do fun things in your spare time, like posting on Internet Forums, but don't waste time cleaning guns.

Obviously if you've got a semi auto, you've got to keep it clean, otherwise the damn thing will jam up on you.

Cat.

Clean Away reed. :hmm:

After all I'd rather buy a used gun from you than buy one from cat. Cat I'm surprised you don't shoot with pitted barrels, maybe it's the amount of shooting you do. Lucky you,at least once a week wow :oops:

I take pride in my guns. Gun cleaning is a pleasure to me, not a chore :hmm:

Edited by urikastu

I have owned guns for many ,many, years and have never been a gun cleaner . I see guns as a tool of the trade and they need to be kept in good order . I only clean once or twice a year ,but allways after getting wet . I have never had a gun go rusty or not work because it is gunged up . There is a school of thought that says to much cleaning put more wear on a gun than shooting . I am inclined to agree with that . Harnser .

I have owned guns for many ,many, years and have never been a gun cleaner . I see guns as a tool of the trade and they need to be kept in good order . I only clean once or twice a year ,but allways after getting wet . I have never had a gun go rusty or not work because it is gunged up . There is a school of thought that says to much cleaning put more wear on a gun than shooting . I am inclined to agree with that . Harnser .

There speaks the voice of experience.

"Pitted barrels" simply don't occur with modern lined bores, I bought a Beretta 682 in 1987 and the internal surface of the bores is still as good as the day I bought it.

Urikastu.......I'll bet you're an avid snap cap user..?? :hmm:

Cat.

Your dodgy SA80 may rust every time you use it, but I'm sorry to say that Beretta's won't rust under normal conditions.

There's not a speck of rust on my 20 year old 682, it works faultlessly, every time, I have it checked over by a competent gunsmith every couple of years, but I certainly don't waste my time cleaning it every time I use it, I've got better things to do in my spare time.

Cat.

I'm with Airborne9 on this one, as an ex REME and still an engineer I understand and recognise the need for a good cleaning and maintenance routine, those of you that abuse your equipment will find it fails you when you least want it too.

It takes only a few minutes to give your shooting iron a pull through and a rub with an oily rag, personally speaking I think its worth the time when you get in.

Others may disagree but opinions are like *********- we all have one!