At what age

richie223

At what age should you start taking your son out for a shoot,I started with my dad at around 10 years of age and have been shooting eversinse.My dad hasnt picked his shotguns up for a number of years now and is being a bit funny about me taking my son out when he is older.My son is only 11 months old so plenty of time get him educated about saftey when out shooting,what to do and what not to do,etc,but the old man says kids will be kids and there not safe to handle a shooter.I know he is only conserned for our wellbeing,but its not as if a young lad is going to knock off the local post office.I am sure with the right education and direction it will all be fine,what do you think.cheers all :sick:

I started at the age of 10 years old . It was my decision to start shooting as i crazed my father and uncle to take me out . I think the worst thing that you could do is to force your son out into the field . when he is ready take him out for a walk around with you and show him the country side ,not just the shooting side but the flora and the wild life . My son has shown very little interest in shooting and is more interested in fishing . Every body to their own . Harnser .

fired my first shotgun at clays when i was 8, only fired 3 shots and i still remember the bruises i had. didnt start hunting til i was 20, id already learnt to handle a gun by being in the cadets at school but any of my family who had been into hunting had long since packed it in; i remember my great uncle getting me to clean his shotgun when i was 14 or so, but by that stage he was in his 70's and wasnt into hunting, kept the shotgun for sentimental reasons. i had a love of being outdoors long before i ever started hunting, so ill back harnser up on that :sick:;)

No recoil off a 22 rimmy, so I'm sure a newborn would be ok...!

Erm, seriously in my opinion, probably at the point they begin to take interest. You wouldn't want to take them out at a young age when they're showing no interest and you hear "this is/that was booooorrriiing..."

Overkill can easily set in. I personally have been put off football for life from my dad trying to drum it into me from a very young age...

my uncle was my big influence, he used to take me out from the age of 8 onwards, first as a gun dog and then later (after 10 or so) actually shooting.

Funnily enough on the Football front - nobody in my family has ever been into it, and as a consequence neither am i.

I guess some influence will push you towards a given subject, too much pressure and it pushes you away.

I have been taking the grandson clays for 2 years.. He is now 10. He loves pressing the buttons and laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He has tried my air rifles and pistols loves it. Bought him an O/U 41o for his crimbo he has been pestering for ages so I cannot wait to see his face.

Brian

My son has come beating / shooting with me this year and he is 6. Kitted him out so he looks the part and is warm, fill his pockets up with sweets and chewing gum, pay him a fiver, buy him his tea in the pub along with a few drink and he loves it, he gets covered in mud and snot running down his face, just what every little lad loves.

Every morning I give him the option if he wants to come, he has never said no but wont take him out in the rain.

He has shot clays (hanging on a branch with a .410), shot with the .22 and .17 at a round bale as the target.

Come up every day during the rearing season after school to help (hinder) me and have a ride on the quad. he has done this since being 4.

As soon as they are interested.

Unfortunately they aren't all interested, and you can't force your lifestyle onto them.

Our son can, and has, come beating, shot shotguns, shot my rifles at targets and quarry and isn't really that fussed about any of it.

Seems a shame as I had to learn it all myself, no one in my family shot or fished for that matter, he can do it all, he just chooses not to :rolleyes:

im the same as you Stuart, i never had a dad to show me this type of thing. just glad i can do this for my son, and hopefully he will pass it on to his kids. My son loves shooting and fishing, i just cant wait till he is old enough to go on the boats with me. My daughter is 3, and knows when we are going out. "Are you going shooting?" is the usual, and "when can i come with you". breaks my bloody heart not being able to take her.

As soon as the spring is here, im getting her a small bass rod, and have few evenings on the beach with her. :rolleyes::D

Last season I bought my then 6 year old a miniature model shotgun with slip, cartidge belt and cartridges. The one you see advsertised in the mags.

He comes out with me and loves it. He stood on my peg with me on Saturday and copied me exactly, convincing himself he shot a few pheasants (more than I did!). He is now 7 and when I am happy that he fully understands the safety aspects of shooting, has a grasp of the etiquette and respects his quarry, then he will be allowed out with me under strict supervision with a 410. When will this be??? I don't really know but I guess at least another couple of seasons with the mini toy gun.

In the meantime I plan to get him on the targets with an air rifle but try and keep the two separate in his mind so he doesn't start 'rifle shooting' a shotgun in a few years.

For now he absolutely loves being outside, watching the dogs, beating (the **** out of bracken), stealing sausages at elevenses and generally mucking about between drives. Oh to be 7 again......

M

My son started shooting in the spring of this year aged 8 and loves it too. He started with the air rifle, shooting at tin cans and paper targets in the back garden. Having asked constantly throughout the summer, he has come along with me on several clay shoots this autumn, pressing the trap buttons, scoring and taking an interest. Recently he had a shot with the 410 just to get a feel of the difference between shooting the air rifle and the shotgun.

I like the idea of setting up some static clays and letting him have a go at them with the 410, perhaps in the spring maybe.

Right from the outset, I have taught him to have a good understanding of what guns can do and he was well rehearsed in basic gun safety before I let him start. He's not allowed to shoot unsupervised.

I hope his enjoyment of shooting will continue throughout his childhood and for years to come.

Some of my earliest recolections are shooting an Airgun say on my dads knee , about 2 years of age , We had a Pig Farm so plenty to go at as they were swill fed in those days . I just continued from there ,

When we moved to this Farm, I was out most evenings with Dad or others , The rest is history as they say . I have usualy shot or been out with a gun 3/4 times a week ,, My son shot for a while but now his business takes uptoo much time , so my grandson is just enjoying to follow on , his mum was the same so knows how he enjoys it , I realy have been so fortunate , and NEVER take it for granted , POW!

i've been taking my nephew out for quitw a while now. started when he was about 8 with an air gun. he's 10 now and regularly comes pigeon shooting with me acting as my gundog. as soon as he can swim properly i might take him wildfowling :rolleyes:

he won't fire a 12 bore because he thinks it'll hurt him, so i won't force him too. but he's fired my .410 loads of times. i took him to a clay shoot and showed him a pattern plate. then he had a few shots at clays. didn't hit any crossers but smashed loads of birds going away and coming towards him. (this is hard enough with a .410)

some times i take the .410 out aswell when pigeon shooting and if there are any strong winged birds, i let him dispatch them.

he lives in an area where most of his friends are getting into trouble so i use shooting as a way to get him away from all that. if he missbehaves in school or for his mum i don't take him out. it seems to be working well he hasn't been in any trouble for a long time now. the only down side is he steals all my shooting mags before i get a chance to read them properly :D

Might sound a bit grim and i bet social services would have something to say nowadays,but when i was little-i was fascinated watching my dad skinning rabbits which he'd either shot or snared so was envitable i was brought into the loop soon as i could safely hold a gun.If memory serves me-i was under 10 when first started shooting a .410 at pigeons and rabbits.

do not take them,as,-they shoot better than you- they never buy any cartridges,and fire more than twice the number you do-they tell everybody if you miss a sitter-they walk faster and longer than you-they use your fav gun ,because it "fits"better than the cheap first gun you bought them.only kidding its great to be out with your sons shooting ,espcially as they now old enough to buy their own shells .

Hi

My boy comes shooting with me and he is four. Dont let him fire my rifles but he is good on the old lamp.

I never asked him to come he asked me and i said yes he has been coming with me ever since. First time i took him i had a pigeon

went to pick it up and he said careful daddy you will wake him up which put a smile on my face. He now knows the difference.

I have a 2 year old girl and if / when she asks she can come to. If he keeps coming and enjoying it when hes about 8 will let him have his own air rifle

and if the keeps it up when hes 14 will put in for a licence for him.

Cheers