Glitter ball

hogey

can someone explain why it is illegal and how and where would you see laws like this written down. I am in shock that someone stood in some government office and said ' We must ban glitter balls for shooting' :hmm:

here you are note the bit that says SIX MONTHS

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/conservat...L%20Gen-L05.pdf

cheers KW

Made up a sort of one using a foam semi-sphere with bits of mirrors on a slow running magnet at say 45 rpm - looked like a large engagement ring on display. Left it running and went for a walk after squirrels, came back an hour later and no crows in sight - just a microlite circling above. Thought of 'Lucy in the sky with diamonds' - not really a disco song. :good: Would running it at 78 rpm attract more old crows ? :good:

Edited by pigeon popper

It's not the 1st of April is it?

This has just got to be a wind up! :good:

No I did make a sort of one - just to see if it worked not for shooting, but the 'microlite' from a nearby airfield kept circling overhead because of the flashing - never used it again, but couldn't help thinking of 'lucy in the sky' as I went home.

Found watching crow patterns worked best - then set up with decoys, and bang 30 + in a morning plus spotting 'sitty trees' shot 100+ this year

Tried a stuffed toy Owl in a tree once whilst working in woods - sent the magpies mad, but again haven't had the time to use it for decoying.

Reading this thread about glitter balls,you would think of someone sitting in a cafe in good old Amsterdam smoking some funny stuff,Then writing some weird story relating to shooting

Anyway for all those mad enough to try it,I will wait for your stories :good:

Maybe this is how the first pigeon magnet and bouncers or whirlys were first made,sitting in a cafe in good old Amsterdam

keep smoking it makes me laugh anyway

hey Martin moreton cross is like little Amsterdam sure this was not your idea :good:

Edited by jonevo

Reading this thread about glitter balls,you would think of someone sitting in a cafe in good old Amsterdam smoking some funny stuff,Then writing some weird story relating to shooting

Anyway for all those mad enough to try it,I will wait for your stories :good:

Maybe this is how the first pigeon magnet and bouncers or whirlys were first made,sitting in a cafe in good old Amsterdam

keep smoking it makes me laugh anyway

hey Martin moreton cross is like little Amsterdam sure this was not your idea :lol:

evo has been on the beer again :lol::good:

you cant try it mate, its illegal. And as for Moreton cross being like Amsterdam, it more like Israel at the mo. :lol: make sure you duck when passing the pubs :good:

Gave up with my 'magnet' - damn uncomfortable thing to sit on - kept feeling dizzy and falling off - would some 'wacky backy' help? :good:

Happy new year :good:

Also found my squirrel call doesn't work, but when feeding Pheasants by calling by whistle it also attracted squirrels.

Found most attraction techniques are by spotting ideas on field work - also love practical jokes :no:

can someone explain why it is illegal and how and where would you see laws like this written down. I am in shock that someone stood in some government office and said ' We must ban glitter balls for shooting' :good:

DEFRA website will explain all but I have copied and pasted the relevant bit from the W&C act 1981 (got a full copy on my HD).

5 Prohibition of certain methods of killing or taking wild birds(1)Subject to the provisions of this Part, if any person—

(v)any device for illuminating a target or any sighting device for night shooting;

(vi)any form of artificial lighting or any mirror or other dazzling device;

John