Ok people

LeeinVA

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of them, can't touch the stuff since an incident when I was 17 involving far far too much of the stuff mixed with everything we could find in the booze cupboard, not to be recommended.

As above, except I was 18, and it wasnt mixed with anything...

The Irish stuff is another matter all together. Black Bush from Bushmills is nectar.

ZB

I have never been able to drink it and like the above posters had an 'incident' involving whiskey and cigars (I don't smoke either) so now unfortunately, just the smell makes me want to hurl. I would actually like to enjoy whiskey, so has anyone ever been able to come back from one these incidents and drink the stuff again? :welcomeani:

... so has anyone ever been able to come back from one these incidents and drink the stuff again? :welcomeani:

Many, many years ago (in my early 20's) I was in Regensburg staying with a German pal and went with him to dinner at his sister's house.

They plonked a bottle of Chivas Regal close to hand whilst my pal and his brother-in-law got stuck into the schnapps. My limited German meant that I wasn't following the conversation, so I got increasingly stuck into the Chivas.

A bottle of Chivas later, I was feeling no pain (until the following morning).

I then had the 725 mile ride home on the Rickman.

It certainly cleared the head, and I still like Chivas

I have never been able to drink it and like the above posters had an 'incident' involving whiskey and cigars (I don't smoke either) so now unfortunately, just the smell makes me want to hurl. I would actually like to enjoy whiskey, so has anyone ever been able to come back from one these incidents and drink the stuff again? :welcomeani:

Yes, but you must work at it.

After a painful incident as a child I was off gin and whiskey for years. However, by diligent drinking I'm back on gin and working on the other. I started on something bland, like Jonnie Walker and Bells, then worked up to Bushmills and Laphroiag. Incidentally, never went off Jack Daniels, so maybe try that?

It's good to have a hobby...

Edited by Flashman

Stuart, I would suggest a good place to start getting back into it would be Bruichladdich. Wonderful stuff.

On a personal note, my vote goes for Dalwhinnie Distillers Edition (1989, Limited Bottling). It is the epitome of pleasure in liquid form.

Should I water it down at first?

I don't like being sick at all I am afraid

I would try it that way first if I were in your position, however I`m not and love a Laphroig or a Lagavulin with a couple of drops of water in :welcomeani: But no more than one or two big-ish ones.

If it`s a going out and having a few drams then the Famous Grouse and it`s new cousin the Black Grouse are fine IMHO.