shooting feral cats?

You may have read about a farmer who shot some dogs that were worrying his sheep, he was prosecuted and convicted of shooting them because he did not have the words " and for the protection of livestock" written on his certificate, I believe.

There is more, but most of it was on the bumf i got with my FAC application and cannot place my hands on it at the moment. The clause above is a quote from the DSC1 book. I will try and find the clause and post it for you in its entirety.

ft

So are you suggesting he would not have been prosecuted if he had used a shotgun ?

No disrespect intended flytie, but I doubt the truth of that story.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get nervous about this type of discussion on pretty much an open forum. That why shooters get bad name.

The impression I get is that people who want to shoot cats or shoot into dark just need an excuse to shoot at anything that moves. :good:

Shooting at shadows in a hedge - what a tw*t! Don't care how long you have been shooting and

can recognise a pair of eyes, cause if you can hardly see it then you will most likely miss, and standing in line behind it could be a very long prison sentence. :good:

Ferral cats - unless you're protecting your personal livestock - leave alone - 'cause they may not be ferral and you couldn't afford the consequences when you are caught - and you will, 'cause people who shoot into shadows or at anything that moves can't keep from bragging down the local pub about all their "successful" kills. :good:

We go shooting for sport under the banner of vermin control, which conveniently also makes a nice meal in a lot of cases. If you have overshot the land and you're looking for something else to kill - go and kill some clays or paper targets to improve your skills.

Just my 10 cents................. :welcomeani:

2 guys who were experianced fox shooters shot at eyes last year.

One turned out to be the guys step son!! The party split up and the step son was killed

The other turned out to be some badger watching freek with NV kit on (reality probably an anti medaling in the afairs of the guy lamping) Collapsed lung but lived.

Dont ever shoot at eyes in a hedge, get closer asnd confirm what it is or leave it for another day. If you work hard enough and long enough you will get the chance of a safe shot.

60% of the deer I could shoot are the wrong sex or have no safe shot. I still shoot plenty!! Just be patient. When you have killed some tresspasser it is no good saying my mate reconed it was a fox as well. you will go down for it (and rightly so) not your mate.

Dave

So are you suggesting he would not have been prosecuted if he had used a shotgun ?

No disrespect intended flytie, but I doubt the truth of that story.

Cranners, no I was clumsily trying to point out that the correct conditions need to be on your FAC before culling anything other than what is expressly stated on your FAC. Otherwise you could be in deep doodoo, and liable to prosecution.

I cannot substantiate the story i quoted about the shot dogs, I have looked on the web and can find nothing. I must have been having a (less than) funny turn. I apologise to all and sundry for any offence given :welcomeani: SORRY :good:

ft

• 5 months later...

now whilst I hate moggies with avengence ( oh and I am not advocating killing them) it would appear that under british law provided you killl a cat HUMANELY be that with a bat to the head, a 12 bore or a rifle bullet etc, you can not be prosecuted for it??? something to do with moggies being given the "right to roam" during plague days, hence if you run a cat over you dont have to report it as with a dog, and in the right to roam act it also I believe states that no one can OWN a cat? ie you can buy one and keep it but not own it, yes it all sounds daft but there you are <_< which is why its legal to top a cat as long as its done humanely.

cheers KW

now whilst I hate moggies with avengence ( oh and I am not advocating killing them) it would appear that under british law provided you killl a cat HUMANELY be that with a bat to the head, a 12 bore or a rifle bullet etc, you can not be prosecuted for it??? something to do with moggies being given the "right to roam" during plague days, hence if you run a cat over you dont have to report it as with a dog, and in the right to roam act it also I believe states that no one can OWN a cat? ie you can buy one and keep it but not own it, yes it all sounds daft but there you are <_< which is why its legal to top a cat as long as its done humanely.

cheers KW

Interesting. What statute and case law led you to surmise that you can't be prosecuted for battering a (domestic) cat to death?

i) There is no 'right to roam act'. The Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 makes no provision for cats.

ii) Domestic cats are owned in the eyes of the law, not kept. It's a common misconception. They are private property, just as dogs and livestock are. Domestic cats are also protected animals under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, which oddly enough, doesn't make any provision for the humane despatch of cats, domestic or otherwise, with blunt instruments or firearms.

Its a matter which comes up regularly and one which is probably best not to teach young shooters that cats are on the quarry list. Whichever way you look at it in a lot of the country they are domestic pets and will be someones pet. Ok they can eat songbirds and occasionally young poults but if you get in the habit of shooting them it will get noticed that locals cats are disappearing and your farmer may well get leant on. I know a local case where a cat got found the following winter in a hedge and got xrayed and low and behold full of shotgun pellets, that was a keeper who it certainly wasn't the first time and his boss had no end of trouble with the police etc involved, enough that the guy didn't do it again. I favour the environmentally friendly natural way of keeping them out of areas where they shouldn't be, involves a GWP with a hatred of cats chase them a few times and the cat gets the idea its a bad place to be and stays away. That way all are happy the owner keeps their moggy and their kids are happy and you keep it away from birds. The vice versa is they do keep certain vermin numbers down just depends on the cat and what it likes to hunt.

I'VE had an invite to a local meat plant that has hundreds off feral cats that need ridding off, the thing is i have to wait until i get myself an air rifle or similar as taking them with my shotgun wouldn't be the sensible thing to do, def draw to much attention from all the locals, but what a prospect to look forward too, im not a CAT murderer, but hey its a JOB.

Erm, Mayfly, I'd use a shotgun with subsonic ammunition if the only alternative is an air rifle. Worry about clean kills more than causing a nuisance. Do you really, really want to be accused of maiming cats by the surrounding public? And you will maim them - feral cats are tough, and disease-ridden (you do not want a bite from a wounded cat).

Interesting. What statute and case law led you to surmise that you can't be prosecuted for battering a (domestic) cat to death?

i) There is no 'right to roam act'. The Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 makes no provision for cats.

ii) Domestic cats are owned in the eyes of the law, not kept. It's a common misconception. They are private property, just as dogs and livestock are. Domestic cats are also protected animals under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, which oddly enough, doesn't make any provision for the humane despatch of cats, domestic or otherwise, with blunt instruments or firearms.

I actually know someone who killed a neighbours cat due to it being a nuisance in his garden, the police became involved and the rspca,BUT he was not charged as he simply stated he killed the cat HUMANELY even the rspca backed down, oh and I am not talking about the right to roam re sodding peolpe in the countryside I am talking right to roam to catch rats (during plague times )may have been king john? it still exists oh and no you CANT own a cat daft as it sounds, ever heard of a cat "owner" being ordered to keep a cat off other people's property?

KW

I actually know someone who killed a neighbours cat due to it being a nuisance in his garden, the police became involved and the rspca,BUT he was not charged as he simply stated he killed the cat HUMANELY even the rspca backed down, oh and I am not talking about the right to roam re sodding peolpe in the countryside I am talking right to roam to catch rats (during plague times )may have been king john? it still exists oh and no you CANT own a cat daft as it sounds, ever heard of a cat "owner" being ordered to keep a cat off other people's property?

KW

So you are saying I am free to bludgeon Tiddles next door to death, humanely, on the basis of Tiddles being a nuisance, and walk away with a clean record?

Rural property law is the bread and butter of my job, and I have yet to learn about a right to roam to catch rats. Please enlighten me - I am genuinely intrigued.

Edited by Baldrick

So you are saying I am free to bludgeon Tiddles next door to death, humanely, on the basis of Tiddles being a nuisance, and walk away with a clean record?

Rural property law is the bread and butter of my job, and I have yet to learn about a right to roam to catch rats. Please enlighten me - I am genuinely intrigued.

yep thats it basically provided you stick to the I killed it humanely line, believe me I do know someone who has done it more than once? ans as stated had the rspca and police involved ( plus a very annoyed neighbour <_<

KW

I know this is digressing somewhat, but i believe there is some stated law that goes along the lines of cats are not specifically owned, and therefore if killed by accident......it does not need reported. Whereas it is the opposite with a dog.

Have to admit, i have never ever seen a feral cat. I have plenty of the damn things crapping in my garden which annoys me no end, have to pick it up so the kids go no where near it etc, damn things sitting on the plants. If people cannot control their animals to foul in a respectable place, they shouldnt own them. Am not quite condining vigilante activity on them! But a sharp kick is the next best option.

what if Tiddles were just to disappear one night <_<

no one needs to know...

what if Tiddles were just to disappear one night <_<

no one needs to know...

I'm a gun-crazed farmer and part-time keeper: if anyone in this village is going to get their collar felt for the hypothetical and mysterious disappearance of Tiddles, it's likely to be me. I hasten to add that I am not a cat murderer, humane or otherwise.

I do actually know of a keeper on a large estate in East Anglia who is known simply as 'Cat Killer' by all of the locals (who live in a remarkably cat-free area).

:blink:

the thing is i have to wait until i get myself an air rifle or similar

If you have to use an airgun make sure its a high powered fac.That said, i did accidentally shoot a cat with a 12ft/lbs and it died instantly, it jumped on a rabbit as I fired and i hit it smack bang between the eyes...a genuine accident.

Howver, i have killed 40+ FERAL CATS AND A SILENCED .22LR IS VERY EFFECTIVE. OR a huspower .410. the hmr is very effective but noisy. :blink:

The problem is that cats do not come with the word FERAL printed on them. If you hot a cat that turned out not to be feral and the owner found out then you could legally be prosecuted for criminal damage.

Part of proving criminl damage is that you are reckless as to whether such damage occurred.

In the prosecution they would say "Are then any houses near where you shoot. Ho far from the place where you shoot is the house. Could you REASONABLY expect the cat to have been from one of those houses"

If they can prove that you did not use that thought process and you were reckless. Then you are guilty of criminal damage.

Having said that, they have to catch you and prove it was you that shot the cat.

Ian

Cats dont count as property, unlike dogs or cattle.

I am really uncomfortable with the number of people on here that seem to think that shooting domestic cats is somehow justifiable and amusing. You might not like cats but the fact is they are likely to be someone's much loved pet, maybe even a pensioner's only friend and companion. In my case our cats do a good job keeping down the rodents in the yard and feed store and also bring down the odd rabbit - pretty effective vermin control in other words, which is how most people justify their FACs. I do not deny that feral cats need controlling and have done so myself, but next time you take aim at someone's pet on the basis that you just 'don't like cats' think how you would feel if someone potted your springer or lab, cos the chances are thats how the cat owner will feel.

And if the moral argument doesn't sway you....think how often the anti hunt lobby dragged out the tales of hounds 'tearing apart' domestic cats and remember what happened to hunting. Think how many people want to destroy our sport next and how gleefully they will quote the more irresponsible posts made on this open forum.

I am really uncomfortable with the number of people on here that seem to think that shooting domestic cats is somehow justifiable and amusing. You might not like cats but the fact is they are likely to be someone's much loved pet, maybe even a pensioner's only friend and companion. In my case our cats do a good job keeping down the rodents in the yard and feed store and also bring down the odd rabbit - pretty effective vermin control in other words, which is how most people justify their FACs. I do not deny that feral cats need controlling and have done so myself, but next time you take aim at someone's pet on the basis that you just 'don't like cats' think how you would feel if someone potted your springer or lab, cos the chances are thats how the cat owner will feel.

And if the moral argument doesn't sway you....think how often the anti hunt lobby dragged out the tales of hounds 'tearing apart' domestic cats and remember what happened to hunting. Think how many people want to destroy our sport next and how gleefully they will quote the more irresponsible posts made on this open forum.

COULDN'T PUT IT BETTER MYSELF :blink:

If you shoot pet cats you are a TOS*ER, AND I WILL TELL YOU THAT TO YOUR FACE

IMHO IF YOU GET CAUGHT SHOOTING A PET CAT you should EXPECT TO LOOSE YOUR FAC and you should be banished from having any pets yourself, and you only bring shame to shooting in the same way as does poisoning / shooting of raptors!

Can you really tell a pet from a feral?? at x amount of yards?? no didn't think so!

I'm quite sure that once birds have been released into a release pen then they are classed as wild (they can come and go as they please), not live stock NO EXCUSE

Cats account for far far more rats and mice than wild birds, no excuse

for real feral problems (infestation) then as already mentioned by cranners is the best and safe way, leaflet drop, give the OWNERS a chance to bring there cats in on the catch night.