shooting feral cats?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without wanting to get into the rights or otherwise of stopping Tabatha from Twitching, may I just point out that the internal layout of the damn things is a bit different to your average quarry species. A .22 hollowpoint may well not do the job if you treat it like a bunny. Now a 12 bore at 30 feet however does not allow much room for discussion, or preferably use a cage trap so you can check for collars first and be sure of no runners.

I think that the earlier advice of 3 s is to be recommended

I have had to supply someone to help in a court case involving the shooting of a cat in a garden. Two points one cruety one dangerous shot I cant elaborate at this time but will post conclusion, the witness I've recomended is for the defence.

if he killed it out right it wasn't cruel :look: if it survived :look:

KW

Can you really tell a pet from a feral?? at x amount of yards?? no didn't think so!

No, it's virtually impossible to discern between domestic and feral cats at any distance greater than 20 metres. It's all about context. Encountering 15 cats living wild on a remote farm, all hidden up in the eaves of a grainstore - they're ferals. A sleek cat with fur of predominantly a single hue, waddling around the periphery of a village, probably does belong to Mrs Miggins.

Having read through most of the material on this topic I find myself asking Do most of these people care about what anyone else thinks? The cat you shoot may be someones pet say a childs pet . Have you ever noticed the quite large rewards that people sometimes offer for the return of lost cats . If shooters do not adopt something other than the Dalek like "exterminate" mentality I fear for the future of shooting. I have been involved in sporting shooting for over 40 years and never found it necessary to shoot a cat.

Having read through most of the material on this topic I find myself asking Do most of these people care about what anyone else thinks? The cat you shoot may be someones pet say a childs pet . Have you ever noticed the quite large rewards that people sometimes offer for the return of lost cats . If shooters do not adopt something other than the Dalek like "exterminate" mentality I fear for the future of shooting. I have been involved in sporting shooting for over 40 years and never found it necessary to shoot a cat.

I think very many people support your viewpoint, I certainly do.

Even "feral cats" can be caught in live cage traps and given to Cats Protection League or the RSPCA.

Some are rehoused (two of our kittens came via Cats Protection from a trapping at a Farm), or humanely euthanised.

cat's are marmite....All the people defending them have them and all the people that dont have them......

My dog once killed a cat and the neighbour was not happy and called the police blah blah

The cop said an offence was only commited if i SET my dog on the cat.If my dog just decided to nail the cat cos it didnt like cat's well that's just tuff,"dog's chase cat's"

I dont like cat's and would never have one.I have encountered feral ones and they are a bit like a tazmanian devil when cornered.As for just shooting feral ones,if i find one in a pen or right next to a pen then i dont care if it is wearing pyjama's it becomes a feral.

I think very many people support your viewpoint, I certainly do.

Even "feral cats" can be caught in live cage traps and given to Cats Protection League or the RSPCA.

Some are rehoused (two of our kittens came via Cats Protection from a trapping at a Farm), or humanely euthanised.

seen "humanely euathanised" first hand stinking ferrals caught in cage traps at the place I work? one raked a catchers hand so he promptly shot it while in the cage :yes:

still it beats the method of cat disposal used at the local steel works? ( long since closed) I will not elaborate!!!

KW

cat's are marmite....All the people defending them have them and all the people that dont have them......

My dog once killed a cat and the neighbour was not happy and called the police blah blah

The cop said an offence was only commited if i SET my dog on the cat.If my dog just decided to nail the cat cos it didnt like cat's well that's just tuff,"dog's chase cat's"

I dont like cat's and would never have one.I have encountered feral ones and they are a bit like a tazmanian devil when cornered.As for just shooting feral ones,if i find one in a pen or right next to a pen then i dont care if it is wearing pyjama's it becomes a feral.

If its in or trying to get into your pens you can shoot it anyway, providing your FAC is worded to the extent of:

(a)the shooting of vermin or, in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife;

(b)the humane killing of animals;

( c) the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans

If this is the case then you are covering points (a) and ( c). I would expect that your cert is worded appropriately if you have livestock to protect :hmm:

Edited by fo5ter

If its in or trying to get into your pens you can shoot it anyway, providing your FAC is worded to the extent of:

(a)the shooting of vermin or, in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife;

(b)the humane killing of animals;

( c) the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans

If this is the case then you are covering points (a) and ( c). I would expect that your cert is worded appropriately if you have livestock to protect :blush:

Make sure these conditions are actually conditioned against any rifle you use for this purpose.These conditions abov, generally normally cover the use of expanding ammo,check the condition..A 3....A 6 and so on cover both ammo AND rifle.

Edited by mr smith

A couple of points about cats from a cat owner.

Not every cat will keep a collar on - mine will shift it in 10 mins. The ones that definately will stay on (without elastic) are very unsafe for cats because it's common for them to hang themselves in trees.

The other way of making sure a cat can be identified to the owner is if they are chipped (mine is) - i.e a microchip under the skin. I would think a responsible pest control company trapping cats would check for chips before killing them. If they send them to a vet to be put down the vet will do this.

I'm also pretty disgusted with some of the attitudes to this that I'm reading here. There's plenty of sporting opportunities out there for us all without resorting to killing peoples pets. Come on ***. Shooting peoples pets isn't sport! I shoot rabbits but the thought of sneaking next door and killing their kid's pet rabbit and watching her cry is ludicrously sick. Or even shooting it if it got into your garden. Wouldn't you try and catch it and watch the kid smile when you gave it back? And we all worry about the future of field sports. Try and present a good image, please.

Not every cat will keep a collar on - mine will shift it in 10 mins. The ones that definately will stay on (without elastic) are very unsafe for cats because it's common for them to hang themselves in trees.

The other way of making sure a cat can be identified to the owner is if they are chipped (mine is) - i.e a microchip under the skin. I would think a responsible pest control company trapping cats would check for chips before killing them. If they send them to a vet to be put down the vet will do this.

I'm also pretty disgusted with some of the attitudes to this that I'm reading here. There's plenty of sporting opportunities out there for us all without resorting to killing peoples pets. Come on ***. Shooting peoples pets isn't sport! I shoot rabbits but the thought of sneaking next door and killing their kid's pet rabbit and watching her cry is ludicrously sick. Or even shooting it if it got into your garden. Wouldn't you try and catch it and watch the kid smile when you gave it back? And we all worry about the future of field sports. Try and present a good image, please.

You can't collar a cat, you cannot control it. It may be tame, but a cat will never be domesticated like a dog can. If the cat does it once, you can be fairly certain that it will do it again.

• 1 year later...

:blink:

If you have to use an airgun make sure its a high powered fac.That said, i did accidentally shoot a cat with a 12ft/lbs and it died instantly, it jumped on a rabbit as I fired and i hit it smack bang between the eyes...a genuine accident.

My Spanish spec (18 ft/lbs) 97K in .25 calibre does the job nicely. I am a cat lover, I own a beautiful Siamese - BUT we do have a HUGE problem with ferals in my part of the world, in common with many mediterranean countries; they truly are a verminous plague.

They cause an awful mess in searching for food, and leave a nasty mess behind. They attack domestic pet cats - my neighbor´s pet cat was blinded in one eye when attacked by one of these nuisances. And they predate on local widlife - worldwide there are a number of species now extinct solely due to the predation of feral cats.

And some people still think they are doing them a favour by feeding these pests !!

The only solution is to KILL them - neutering and returning to the wild does not stop any of the above problems. There have been programmes of poisoning, but I regard that as a cruel method - the only method that works is to blow their brains out.

And can I tell a feral from a pet cat? - instantly, as it happens. They look and move quite differently.

On another forum I was BANNED by the Thought Police for condoning the shooting of feral cats - I trust nothing so half-witted will occur here.

My Spanish spec (18 ft/lbs) 97K in .25 calibre does the job nicely. I am a cat lover, I own a beautiful Siamese - BUT we do have a HUGE problem with ferals in my part of the world, in common with many mediterranean countries; they truly are a verminous plague.

They cause an awful mess in searching for food, and leave a nasty mess behind. They attack domestic pet cats - my neighbor´s pet cat was blinded in one eye when attacked by one of these nuisances. And they predate on local widlife - worldwide there are a number of species now extinct solely due to the predation of feral cats.

And some people still think they are doing them a favour by feeding these pests !!

The only solution is to KILL them - neutering and returning to the wild does not stop any of the above problems. There have been programmes of poisoning, but I regard that as a cruel method - the only method that works is to blow their brains out.

And can I tell a feral from a pet cat? - instantly, as it happens. They look and move quite differently.

On another forum I was BANNED by the Thought Police for condoning the shooting of feral cats - I trust nothing so half-witted will occur here.

Condoning the Shooting of cats with air rifles has no place on a British shooting forum and as for "They look and move quite differently" & "shooting their brains out" whay tosh. feral cats are not a seperate breed with different traits they are mearly domestic cats living in the wild.

But then what else would I expect from a country that classes bull fighting and throwing donkeys from roof tops as sport.

Over here we call it the "Three S's"

"Shoot, shovel, and shut up"

love it :good:

i too have a very deep seated hatred of moggys, the only thing i hate more is moorhens :shoot::shoot::mad:

we often get them up hear, i think people have stopped getting them as pets their is so many keepers hear they dont last long. i got 3 litters of kittens from log piles and dry stone walls this year, and 2 last year. i saw one out lamping last year sitting watching a group of roosting partriges about 18inches away it was gona pounce but ive got a good freind called v-max that told it not to

2 guys who were experianced fox shooters shot at eyes last year.

One turned out to be the guys step son!! The party split up and the step son was killed

The other turned out to be some badger watching freek with NV kit on (reality probably an anti medaling in the afairs of the guy lamping) Collapsed lung but lived.

Dont ever shoot at eyes in a hedge, get closer asnd confirm what it is or leave it for another day. If you work hard enough and long enough you will get the chance of a safe shot.

60% of the deer I could shoot are the wrong sex or have no safe shot. I still shoot plenty!! Just be patient. When you have killed some tresspasser it is no good saying my mate reconed it was a fox as well. you will go down for it (and rightly so) not your mate.

Dave

good post bud and too true.......... but triple s, shoot shovle and shut up :lol: joke!

yep thats it basically provided you stick to the I killed it humanely line, believe me I do know someone who has done it more than once? ans as stated had the rspca and police involved ( plus a very annoyed neighbour <_<

KW

a story for you. when i lived at home my sister had two cats, "sway" and "mogwi" well mogwi kept going in to nexd doors garden, i have always got on with the old guy he is big into fly tying and fishing so i give him furs a feathers. well said cat kept ******** in his green house and flower bed, seowe where jokeing about getting rid one day, un known to me he had made a cage trap and set it in the green house, well mogwi was caught in the night and set off wailing, like realy loud then as fast as it started it stopped so i went back to sleep.

next day i asked him if the cat was ok he says " igh if it can drink 45 gallon" :blink:

Good words.