Doc Holliday

BBQ fuel  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your preferred method(s) of BBQing

• Wood
    • Charcoal
    • Gas
    • Other (please specify in your post)

Just read LV's post about his gas bbq and that he couldn't get on with it. I too had a gas one once and found it lacking in performance. Just couldn't get it hot enough to get that meat to seal quickly. I persevered with it for one season then went back to solid fuel.

I have an Outback for using with charcoal and when the other half and I are entertaining, and a little chiminea which I like to use with wood (ideally Oak, Beech or Yew as they give the best embers). The chiminea top part comes off and there's a little grill at a sensible height which is ideal for just the 2 off us and the dog (the dog usually has BBQ'd lambs hearts).

The first chiminea we had cracked as the charcoal burned too hot for it.

So what do you use? I've allowed for multiple choices in the poll.

Nearly forgot to mention, we also bought a cheap wok which we use on either. Ideal for those scrummy stir fry's. Again, we found that stir fry's on the hob just don't get hot enough.

Over to you. :wub:

Edited by Doc Holliday

I use gas and dont have any problems with cooking.I did however throw away the standard lava rock supplied and bought a box of these funny smooth pillow shaped ceramic blocks which get much hotter much quicker.It cooks equally as well as a conventional charcoal BBQ,but with the convenience of gas.

I have never got on with gas either... plus i like playing with fire :wub:

I use an organic charcoal briquette made out of coconut husk, it burns hotter for longer and leaves much less ash. I use it in my smokers along with wood chips or chunks on occasion.

Jon.

There is no fun in gas!!

I am a real man so ill be making fire. Yes, gas is easy but there is nothing better then standing around a fire.

Oh and i do like the look on the neighbor`s faces when they see the 6 feet flames going up in the air, when i use petrol to encourage the wood to burn!! :wub:

I use a gas BBQ for convenience more than anything. Most of our food during the summer is cooked on the bbq and it is easy to just fire it up cook a chop or what ever and then turn it off.

If we used charcoal it wouldn't be worth it. I agree the flavour isn't quite the same but it ain't far off and depends what you are cooking.I have an excellent butcher just down the road. I had a cracking steak last night, no marinade or seasoning just a piece of good steak.

I have some minted lamb chops for tonight.

thats it MC proper meat is the way forward with bbq's no sausages or burgers get near mine, you have to cook them too well for outdoor cooking. I lived from a gas bbq last summer and its great not quite the same as charcoal but a very close 2nd. As ever though its all down to the chef the results

Here is a tip for all the charcoal users - use british charcoal not that awful Big K stuff or other foreign imported muck. You know the stuff, you have to stand there with a blow torch for half hour to get it going amid a relentless shower of sparks.

I was watching Countryfile the other weekend and this guy from Sussex makes it for a living. He said it burns better and you can add more while the food is still cooking and it won't taint the food either as the foreign stuff has stuff added to it to get it burn properly as it hasn't been cured properly in the first place.

Well, I thought, I shall put you to the test Sir and see if what you say carries any weight. But be warned, I shall be on your doorstep with pockmarked tee shirt should the result be anything else.

So, off I went and tracked down a local charcoal makers and bought 10 x 4kg bags. At a fiver a pop I thought I may as well stock up. The guy even cut me a deal as I paid him cold hard cash for the booty. Also, a darn site cheaper than what the garages and DIY centres knock it out for.

Anyhow, the proof was at hand last night when we fired the old girl up for the first one of the season. Tentatively, I put the blow torch to the fuel and counted to 10. Did this in four places. Ok, there was still a shower of sparks but this was due to the blow torch. I was amazed. No kerosene or firelighters required. Not even a "easi-light" bag in site.

The result - an easy lighting, locally sourced supply of charcoal which was a pleasure to use. I even tested the "add more while your cooking" claim and it did exactly what it said on the tin. Extra heat with no traced of accelerant being required so none on the finished product.

Conclusion - Will be sticking to the local stuff from now on. Check out these links and give the local stuff a go. I guarantee you won't go back (just need to rustle some wood now).

http://www.englishcharcoal.co.uk/index2.htm - General info & comparisons againt briquettes & imported charcoal

http://www.allotmentforestry.com/maps/charsup.htm - list of local charcaol suppliers/makers

Cooking using a gas BBQ is bordering on homosexuality and should be discouraged at all costs unless you are a woman or occasionally dress as one and then it's OK.

For the small family BBQ i use charcoal.For the large,get everyone round,get hammered,trash the garden type BBQ on a split 45 gallon drum i use wood.

thats it MC proper meat is the way forward with bbq's no sausages or burgers get near mine, you have to cook them too well for outdoor cooking. I lived from a gas bbq last summer and its great not quite the same as charcoal but a very close 2nd. As ever though its all down to the chef the results

Proper meat is best. We had 8 ribs 2 burgers and a lamb heart (for the dog). The ribs & heart cooked up a treat. The burgers were a tad disappointing. A bit dry and ordinary, which is surprising seeing we got them from our butcher where we get all our meat. I think I'll be swapping the dogs lamb hearts for the burgers.

if you use wood what type ? do you just use broken pallets etc or is there a certain type used ? :good:

You need hard woods like oak, beech or yew. Reason being that soft woods burn too quickly and you don't get any good embers off them. Hard woods tend to burn slower and give much better embers that you need for cooking on. It's the heat you need not the flames, tha's why charcoal is ideal as it just smoulders with very little flame.

I bought a gas bbq, I loved bbq and thought the gas would be more convenient, well it’s like cooking on the gas hob.

There is no nice bbq taste so the whole point is lost on a gas bbq.

I have been looking for a decent large traditional bbq but not had any luck they are all either very expensive or flimsy.

I have got a friend who is a welder to make me one from a oil drum cut in half on an A frame.

Thanks Doc for the link regarding charcoal I will be getting some from my local supplier.

Should get the bbq this weekend.

I use a gas BBQ now much easier and quiker to get ready since I use it most evenings this time of year allready on me second bottle of gas (13kg), but with the use of lava rock and a few of my wood smoking chips tastes as good as a charcoal BBQ :good::lol::lol: of which i do still have but no longer use.